Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do, no money for gym?

• 28-05-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Basically I have outgrown bodyweight exercises. I'm still keeping going with weighted ones with dips, pullups, pushups and squats but there's not much I can do after what I'm currently doing which is a 20kg backpack.

Is there anything I can use to keep my strength improving while I save up for joining a gym? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Ask your local garage for a tractor tire and flip that about for a few hours a day. They usually have them laying about and some might be glad to get rid for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I doubt you have outgrown BW exercises. You probably are just thinking of basic ones, after looking on various sites there were more variations than I ever imagined. 1 arm chins or assisted 1 arm chins, a million pushup variations.

Korean dips, russian dips, muscle ups

Pistol squats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Where do you live? There must be a budget gym option nearby. Even joining a sports team that have access to one.

Some more body weight exercises:

Pull ups - complete beasts of workouts can be done once you get proficient at these
    One legged step ups & squats
    Hand stand press ups
    Burpees

Get a shovel and dig a hole. Then fill it back in.
    Use blocks for farmers walks and skull crushers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gregbradley

What about trying to get some part time work in a gym to kill two birds with same stone? Some good suggestions above which cover most bases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah weighted pullups are something I do every second day but I think I damaged a nerve today. After I finished my 4 sets of 10 I did weighted pushups but then after I had a pain shoot down from my forearm into my thumb it was a bit scary I just stopped then haha.

I'm saving up for a bench set/squat rack but they are pretty expensive especially the squat rack.

Haha wish I could get a job at the gym, or anywhere tbh not many places taking on the youngsters :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 BoscoBox

Check out dominic munnelly. com. He is one of the most popular personal trainers in Ireland. He has a separate section for home workouts. Recommend this sight to anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

There's a massive amount of ideas for homemade equipment here:

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles.html

I'd say you should have a good look around that site, Ross is, as they say in t'internet, "legit".

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

There are all kinds of simple things you can do to improve home workouts. Even something like a plank of wood against a chair/couch - incline dumbbell press right there. Actually check out a guy online called Scooby for some home workout tricks.

Try and stick with home workouts for as long as you can, because gyms are very hit and miss. Some will be fine, others will have yummy mummies on treadmills who won't like/understand you grunting and screaming out your last rep...lol. At least at home you can do what you want, and even experiment with different weights and techniques without some 'helpful' asshole trying to give you 'tips'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CharlesMac

Well when I was younger there wasnt really a gym more of a ****ty ass planet fitness with a load of treadmills kind of gym, what I did was just look around palces for some make shift items for example

Old tractor tyres of different weight to lift up and push
    Broom stick with some chains on either side as a bar and weights or bench presses and lunges (used a blocks of cemente as a bench)

Stuff like that thats what I would recommend anyway

Advertisement