Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA Carrauntoohil

Options
  • 28-05-2013 9:39pm

Think I'll do this this weekend.

Have done mountain running off my own bat, and have hiked around Carrauntoohil plenty of times - live in sight of it - so know the route well, but have compass and maps anway and can navigate around no problem.

Know it's rated a 10 and fully appreciate the challenge. If I turn up on the day with IMRA membership will I be registered there and then or must I do so in advance? Given its one of the toughest ones, is there any requirement to have entered other events to compete in this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just turn up on the day and you'll be fine. Enjoy it, it's a super race.

Thanks! Was on the IMRA forum and will go for it. In a strange way, I'm a bit nervous. Not about the mountain, could go across Caher Ridge blindfolded, but about blowing up as fellows like Brian Furey streak into the distance - have seen him before when he and others were down here training and it's frankly intimidating. I hope and trust there will be a few other amateurs and slow coaches. Think there is an early start too so might avail of that if only so I won't be delaying the volunteers at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

I doubt you would need the early start given your familiarity with the hills. There are usually a wide range of abilites at any given IMRA race. Just look up past results and you'll see a big spread of times. So nothing to be nervous about there. Just give it a good go! Keep your pace steady and let the faster lads go.

Thanks for encouraging me.

Did it...and loved it!

Got 1.56, which I was surprised at as felt like I was going backwards at times, misty so guess knowing the area helped as some veered a little to the right on the descent. But loved the atmosphere, the camaraderie, calling out when people picked up the right track, sharing food and drink during the race, people encouraging each other rather than running against each other. Even though clearly is a very serious run with remarkable athletes vying at the front, there was a wonderful feeling at times that the competition was not about measuring things out in minutes per mile, it was all of us mucking in to face the mountain and times were not critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done Conor and nice to meet you today. Not many people do their first race on Carrauntoohil! You did great considering. Check out other races down munster way on the imra website. You are a lucky man living down there surrounded by all those tempting mountains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement