Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacker travel insurance

• 28-05-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi
    I know this has been asked many times before but i am kind of running out of time now. Im heading abroad next week and still have to get travel insurance. Iv searched many sites but they all vary so much in price.

Basically i am going on a 1 year WHV to NZ,stopping of in Thailand for 2 weeks on the way over. Wont be doing anything major in Thailand,just relaxing on some of the islands. I have a job set up in NZ in a ski resort for the winter season, Its only bar/cafe work but the company gives free ski lessons,passes etc so im hoping ill get a chance at trying that out while im there.

Im confused about the "winter sport" cover. Is this normally only cover for your ski equipment,avalanche, resort closure etc? Should it cover you if you injure yourself whilst skiing also? I think my employers insurance will cover me to some degree but i think its still better to have my own insurance aswell.

I have been quoted €250 (inc winter sports) from backpackertravelinsurance.ie & €700 worldnomads.com This is a huge difference in price. I have read the small print in backpackertravel and it seems quite thorough so why the huge difference?? Anyone have any experience with these companies and are they any good?

Obviously i want to keep costs down but not at the expense of my health. Iv heard world nomads are very good but i cannot afford €700. Its just too much money right now for me.

Any help would be much appreciated
    Thanks
    Amy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Hi Amy,

Heading off myself at the end of June and went with http://www.travelinsurance.ie for cover. I had a quick look using the info you gave above and came out with the following;

http://i.imgur.com/SL8W8oY.png

Not entirely sure about personal injury and winter sports but medical expenses are covered within it. Have a look through the site and through the small print anyway.

Options I chose were as follows;

Policy Type - Discovery Backpacker (cheaper!)
    Destination - Worldwide Exc US/Canada
    Dep Date - June 4th 2013
    Ret Date - June 4th 2014

Hope this helps a bit and enjoy your trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Paddy_mac

I'm in the same boat.

Nomad is way more expensive but I can't see why.

Backpackertravelinsurance.ie only allow 1, 2 week trip home over the policy
    still works out very good value even getting the policy twice.

I think the snow cover is substantial with both with no, # of days restrictions.
    http://www.moving2canada.com/planning/travel-insurance-for-canada/

I think I need 2 years cover if they check at immigration...?

What did you guys do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I have my insurance with World Nomads. I have not needed to use it yet *touch wood*

The whole reason I chose it is because I can extend while abroad. Most insurances need you to be physically in the country when you buy or extend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Also check out AIB insurance, Trialfinders and AA Insurance - they all have backpacker options.

Advertisement