Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Fibre Installation

• 28-05-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

thinking of upgrading to Fibre broadband (prob with Vodafone).
    My existing ADSL installation involves a Cat 5 cable wired into the back of the old eircom socket in the hall. The cable runs around under edge of timber floor into dining/kitchen room into another eircom socket which is mounted on wall. The ADSL modem is plugged into this socket and the whole lot runs great and has done since broadband came to our exchange c.2004.
    My questions are, will this setup run if I upgrade to Fibre with its own new type of wall socket? Will it be possible to connect the cat 5 cable to back of the new wall socket in the hall?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

I assume you are using just two of the eight available wires on the cat5 cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭redzer

degsie wrote: »
    I assume you are using just two of the eight available wires on the cat5 cable?

Yes, if memory serves me... It's been over eight years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

AFAIK the install techs will replace the master socket with a VDSL socket and you will be expected to connect directly to this new socket. If you speak nicely to the installer perhaps you could persuade them to locate the master socket in the dining/kitchen using the cat5 cable you have installed. Wouldn't be surprised if they refuse though.

AFAIK the install techs will replace the master socket with a VDSL socket and you will be expected to connect directly to this new socket. If you speak nicely to the installer perhaps you could persuade them to locate the master socket in the dining/kitchen using the cat5 cable you have installed. Wouldn't be surprised if they refuse though.

I wonder would it be possible to "adjust" the installation when the techie leaves if he insists on installing the vdsl socket at the master socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

That is what they are doing anyway on request. They will relocate the socket to a location of your choice and they will also be using cat5 cable.

So Redzer, they should install the VDSL modem where you have it now and not have to make too many other changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Just got upgraded and socket has been replaced with a slightly bigger one which is a bit of a problem for us. On the other hand, we moved from 2.5Mb to 46Mb.

To be honest, I was expecting more than 50Mb because we are really close to the cabinet (maybe less than 50 metres).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

where are you and who are you with? at 50 metres you should get 70mb ie the max. Did the engineer say anthing? can you do a speed test and post? Cabinet might be restricted to max 50mb.

in ennis out lahinch road a guy is getting 67mb down and 18mb up, just waitin to hear how near he is to cab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

We're in Raheny, Dublin and about 50m from the cabinet which is easily visible from the house. We're with Eircom and I looked at the Engineer's test equipment so it is 50Mb coming into the house and he said that it is 70Mb at the cabinet. SpeedTest below ...

2738718929.png

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    where are you and who are you with? at 50 metres you should get 70mb ie the max. Did the engineer say anthing? can you do a speed test and post? Cabinet might be restricted to max 50mb.

in ennis out lahinch road a guy is getting 67mb down and 18mb up, just waitin to hear how near he is to cab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

and did he explain why you were not getting the higher speed? Are you sure you are hooked up to the cabinet that is so close?

I am surprised eircom guy did not explain more? It may improve of its own accord but might be worth giving them a call. They are supposed to check wiring as well. At 50m you should get the max end of.. unless they have you on a stable profile then you get 50mb and 5-16mb up. Keep an eye on it as it may get better on its own.

pings are very good

allen175 wrote: »
    That is what they are doing anyway on request. They will relocate the socket to a location of your choice and they will also be using cat5 cable.

So Redzer, they should install the VDSL modem where you have it now and not have to make too many other changes.

Hopefully I'll get a cooperative techie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Just to be clear, they can run the Cat 5 cable for you but there's a charge for it, best to check the cost of it with your supplier in advance. You don't pay the technician.

Hi allen175

Finally took the jump a few weeks ago and ordered the fibre upgrade with Vodafone at Home. Had an appointment the following week. The engineer called on time and there was no problem with positioning the socket in dining room. All running well. I'm about 400 meters from the cabinet and synced at 40 Mbits. Typical speeds are 38.6 down. Happy with this. It seems stable at that.

Advertisement