Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100 hiking boots?

Options
  • 28-05-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Hi all looking for a new pair of hiking boots. Use will be in the mountains, i'm not a fan of tracks and trails and like to make my own way across terrain so waterproofing is key! Bad experience with so called waterproof boots in the past. A lot of the time will be hauling a lot of weight and occasionally using them for days at a time.

A tall order but could anybody recommend a pair, preferably for around €100, but I might be able to stretch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If in Dublin Patagonia have what look like good boots for about €130ish - saw them in there the other day. I haven't tried them myself but they are leather uppers with vibram soles and Patagonia's stuff is generally good quality - the clothes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You'll be very hard pressed to find a good pair at that price. I'd normally recommend something like Meindl, but they're going to set you back 200 at least.

I bought a pair of North Face Verberas recently as a Summer boot, but they are surprisingly sturdy with quality features. I haven't tested them for long so can't speak for durability, but they may be an option if you can get them at a discount (about 160 retail).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You're not going to go wrong with Berghaus but go into an actual shop and try on a pair before buying online. You want to make sure they are a proper fit before forking out that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I picked up a pair of Karrimor KSBs 2 years ago. Not sure which model. They were €40-€50ish (rrp was €100ish. Karrimor are nearly always on offer) Vibram soles, waterproof (wet grass/ puddles anyway. Haven't walked into a stream with them). Treat them with Nikwax every 6-12 months to be sure. Holding up pretty well.
    I've seen cheaper versions without Vibram soles. No idea what they're like.
    I bought them to use until I splurged on Meindl, Lowa, Hanwag etc. but tbh they're still doing the job so I haven't bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

It is possible to get great boots from known brands for €100. There are sales & online routes available. Just make sure you have tried on and assessed the suitability of a boot before you buy online.

I have bought two pairs of boots online.

First time all went well, I had already tried on a Scarpa ZG65 and knew it would be right for me. €150 was the asking in the shop. I found em for £80 online, that was in 2011. I used them for all my training and ultimately my successful ascent of Kilimanjaro and still have them in regular use today. I've seen those boots in Snow and Rock in Dundrum during the sale for €100 recently.

My second purchase, a Scarpa Manta was less smooth. I figured them being Scarpa I could use the same size as the ZG65 and so ploughed ahead and bought online. They didn't work out. I had to return them as they were too small (luckily the shop did free returns (had to get to a Royal Mail Post Office though)) and so I had another pair sent out. In the mean time I had to go to a shop and try different sizes to get the right fit. Once the new larger sized pair arrived I had no issue, they are a great boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Had a look there and I think the ones I got were KSB 350. They really are very decent if you get them at the right money (maybe even if you don't). They use eVent like the ones above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8307

meant to be a good boot no postage around your price range :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

ecco have a boot that could be called a light hiking boot that you could get around the €100 mark in a sale I have found them good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement