Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recommendations

• 28-05-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Well guys I have a free summer ahead of me with no job and college and in an effort to make myself not go demented, I was thinking of investing in a game to keep me occupied. I use to be a big gamer in my earlier days but not so much recently. Any good game would suit me but if there is a good racing game out there with a decent online mode in particular could interest me.

Recent gaming history:

Fifa
    Pro Evo
    Call Of Duty (sick of these games)
    Skyrim (Didnt enjoy it)
    Formula 1 (Difficult and boring)
    NBA
    Madden
    L.A. Noire (Very dissapointing game)
    Batman
    Uncharted series

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Hi. If you're on PS3 I'd recommend singing up for 90 days of Playstation Plus.
    It'll only cost you €14.99 and if you sign up today before the store updates you can get May's games too (just go through the process of "purchasing" them and you can download them whenever you want).

So May's are Hitman Absolution, Dead or Alive 5 and Joe Danger 2.
    June's ones are Demon's Souls, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. You can also download LBP 2, Motorstorm Apocolypse and Infamous 2. They will rotate these 3 in June too and there is talk XCom and a couple of other big games will be added. So yeah, well worth €15.

Other game recommendations:

The Mass Effect trilogy
    XCom : Enemy Unknown
    Sleeping Dogs
    Bioshock Infinite
    Red Dead Redemption
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Portal 2

Edit: If you really just want a racing game Grid 2 is out on Friday I think.
    Other racing games you could try are Modnation Racers, GT5, Burnout Paradise or Driver: San Francisco. I wouldn't recommend driver though if you liked the old Driver games. The new one is like an arcade game and has the worst story concept I've ever come across in a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Wait you pay €15 for the month and get access to all those games?? :eek:

You've access to them for the duration of your subscription. So for 90 days for the €14.99. Or €49.99 for the year.

You also get free Vita games each month and cloud saving (online storage for your save games) and automatic updates if you like.

There's a FAQ being put together in the Playstation Plus thread at the moment or just have a read of the thread, all the info on Plus is there. Someone also posted a list of all the games that have been offered so far. It's ridiculous and runs into thousands of euro worth of games.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84829377#post84829377

It's the best subscription service I've ever come across.
    I don't work for and am in no way affiliated with Sony by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If you didn't enjoy Skyrim you could always go back to Oblivion and Fallout 3, both great great games.

@ShakerMaker

Play BioShock! Amazing game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

what was it about skyrim that you didn't like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Fallout (all of them)

Dead space (all of them)

Final fantasy

GTA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I havnt played it but i hear Dark Souls is a great game and plenty of life in it to keep you going for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

what was it about skyrim that you didn't like?

Not to make a big debate about it, but skyrim is defenetly not for all gamers. I could count myself as quite open minded and hardcore gamer and I can't stand skyrim. Boring, soulless, repetitive. Then again, I do realise a lot of people love it and fair play to that.

Not to make a big debate about it, but skyrim is defenetly not for all gamers. I could count myself as quite open minded and hardcore gamer and I can't stand skyrim. Boring, soulless, repetitive. Then again, I do realise a lot of people love it and fair play to that.

I know that, i asked because if the OP can say what it is about that particular game that he didn't enjoy it might help with my giving a suggestion.

If without that information i was to suggest another RPG and he went off and bought it only to find it had the very same traits he disliked in Skyrim, i would feel bad and need a cuddle.

• Advertisement

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I havnt played it but i hear Dark Souls is a great game and plenty of life in it to keep you going for a long time.

Yeah, great game. Just be prepared to die a lot. An awful lot.

I know that, i asked because if the OP can say what it is about that particular game that he didn't enjoy it might help with my giving a suggestion.

If without that information i was to suggest another RPG and he went off and bought it only to find it had the very same traits he disliked in Skyrim, i would feel bad and need a cuddle.

I actually really loved a suggestion of oblivion and fallout 3/new vegas by somebody! :D

yeah lol i seen that too :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

sin0city wrote: »

Well he does have the whole summer off ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Half life 2: The Orange Box can be picked up for a few euro second hand these days. I loved it and its a decent length as well - its 4 games in total.

Worth checking out id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shakermaker321

Fallout (all of them)

Dead space (all of them)

Final fantasy

GTA

I probably should have mentioned that I'm not really into any of those fantasy or alien type games except for those old lord of the rings games on the PS2. But thanks for all the feedback lads. A lot of games for me look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ArmA 2 is cheap, if you don't like fantasy how about some ultra hardcore realism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm assuming it's only PS3 suggestions and you don't have any other consoles or a PC that can handle games.

But I'll make my usual suggestion of Infamous. Both Infamous games are my favourite PS3 games along with the Arkham games.

And if you liked Uncharted, you may want to check out Enslaved and Tomb Raider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

sin0city wrote: »

I use to cry putting the disc into the PS3.Im 38 years old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shakermaker321

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's only PS3 suggestions and you don't have any other consoles or a PC that can handle games.

But I'll make my usual suggestion of Infamous. Both Infamous games are my favourite PS3 games along with the Arkham games.

And if you liked Uncharted, you may want to check out Enslaved and Tomb Raider.

Saw Infamous going for cheap earlier today but didnt make an impulse buy. I never heard anyone talk about Tomb Raider, but give it a try if its in my budget. Are there any simple fun sporty, racing and even cartoony games that people would recommend? Im not too fussed about my games, just want something to keep me occupied and entertained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The on demand game collection for the PS3 really does sound like best option for you.
    Its really good value at EUR15 for the amount of games you get and will give you the variety of casual games and some serious games that you want.
    Burnout is a fun casual racer thats in the collection and games like Joe Danger have indie type titles covered.
    Also the likes of Borderlands and Imfamous are there for a bit of serious gaming.

All that choice for only EUR15!
    Means your not spending a fortune and you have 3 months of gaming sorted without the need for crazy money.

I really hope they keep up plus for PS4,way better value with the games than Xbox live is at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I've a Playstation Plus subscription myself. I bought a cheap second hand PS3, and instead of spending more money on a few more games for it, I went for the PS Plus subscription for 3months. Have to say, it was a great choice! Well worth the money! Since buying the PS3 just about 3 months ago now, I have bought a single game! Saved me loads! My subscription runs out in a week, and I'm not even considering letting it go! It's a really under-rated service!
    The June update that came in today doesn't take my fancy too much, but I'm still going to download them all and try them out! I already have Mass Effect 3, LoTR, Hitman, and Limbo to name a few.!
    You also get timed trials for full games, themes, avatars, and discounts. The online storage is handy, and the auto update is even better! I let the PS3 update itself at 4am so I don't have to wait for updates when I want to play!
    I've also heard that if you use a DNS, you can get the American store and use the same subscription to download their stuff, while keeping your EU stuff too! Haven't looked into that myself, but I would imagine it's possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Are there any simple fun sporty, racing and even cartoony games that people would recommend?
    sonic all stars racing transformed

This PS Plus subscription is sounding better and better day by day.. Might have to dust off my PS3 and bring it back to life ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw Infamous going for cheap earlier today but didnt make an impulse buy. I never heard anyone talk about Tomb Raider, but give it a try if its in my budget. Are there any simple fun sporty, racing and even cartoony games that people would recommend? Im not too fussed about my games, just want something to keep me occupied and entertained

The reason I enjoy Infamous is because it's fun. :) It's also open world and you're pretty much free to do what you want between "missions".
    EoinHef wrote: »
    The on demand game collection for the PS3 really does sound like best option for you.
    Its really good value at EUR15 for the amount of games you get and will give you the variety of casual games and some serious games that you want.
    Burnout is a fun casual racer thats in the collection and games like Joe Danger have indie type titles covered.
    Also the likes of Borderlands and Imfamous are there for a bit of serious gaming.

Not sure if you were just giving an example of what you've previously got but Burnout, Joe Danger and Borderlands are no longer part of the collection.

The current games available are
    Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Demon's Souls
    motorstorm Apoclypse
    Infamous 2
    Little Big Planet 2
    And also some Vita games including Uncharted and Gravity Rush

Ico, Kingdoms and Souls are all there until the end of this month and we're expecting Infamous, LBP and motorstorm to be swapped out with new games around E3.

But if you want to see what we've received over the past year alone, you can check out this list posted in the PS+ thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84446586&postcount=2266

But if you want to see what we've received over the past year alone, you can check out this list posted in the PS+ thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84446586&postcount=2266

Thanks, was too lazy to find that yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I recently played this and spent over 80 hours on the base game and the 2 DLC's together are about the same amount of play again
    great under appreciated game

Danger781 wrote: »
    This PS Plus subscription is sounding better and better day by day.. Might have to dust off my PS3 and bring it back to life ;)

I did that myself few weeks ago. PS+ service is the BOMB. Over a year PS3 was covered in dust. Not anymore!

PS+ will keep ps3 alive for years after ps4 is out. Sony hit the jackpot in gamers heart with this service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

How big would the file sizes be lads?

Would they all be pushing 5-10gb?

• Advertisement

Yeah, about that alright. Usually about 7-12 for full games with the odd massive one.
    Think Ni No Kuni was over 20 and Hitman is 17GB.

Advertisement