Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a bill paying account

Options
  • 28-05-2013 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I want to set up a joint account with the other half just to pay bills. The idea is that we will both setup a weekly standing order of €40 to this account and have all direct debits coming out at various parts of the month so we can forget which bill is coming next.

Ulster bank seem to be a winner comparing bank charges online. They don't seem to have any charges for direct debits, standing orders or money transfers. Would I be right in this?

With BOI at the minute and just thinking about all the transaction fees I'd be stung with. Standing order fee from my account to bill account. Fee for receiving money to bill account. Fee for DD coming out of bill account!

Anybody any better ideas for what I'm trying to do? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭Guffy

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I want to set up a joint account with the other half just to pay bills. The idea is that we will both setup a weekly standing order of €40 to this account and have all direct debits coming out at various parts of the month so we can forget which bill is coming next.

Ulster bank seem to be a winner comparing bank charges online. They don't seem to have any charges for direct debits, standing orders or money transfers. Would I be right in this?

With BOI at the minute and just thinking about all the transaction fees I'd be stung with. Standing order fee from my account to bill account. Fee for receiving money to bill account. Fee for DD coming out of bill account!

Anybody any better ideas for what I'm trying to do? :confused:

Post office account?

Cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ulster Bank current accounts will not be fee-free from July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Thanks for the replies. I don't know if a post office account will be acceptable for all our bills which defeats the purpose if I have to pay some separately anyway.

Re ulster bank, damn, thought I was on to a winner there. Any suggestions who to look into instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I don't know if a post office account will be acceptable for all our bills which defeats the purpose if I have to pay some separately anyway.

Re ulster bank, damn, thought I was on to a winner there. Any suggestions who to look into instead?

PTSB, perhaps?

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/current-accounts/current-account/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Yea PTSB look like a good option. It's a throw up between them and BOI on a flat rate account. Thanks for the input guys, most helpful!

• Advertisement
Advertisement