Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopping provences in Canada while being a PR

Options
  • 29-05-2013 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi thanks for having a look, my dilemma is I'm here working in manitoba Canada for the last six months and my employer is going to apply for perminent residency for me as promised. My question is once I have received my PR can I leave this Provence and go to another Provence looking for work, and will it all be above board?? Thanks for looking and any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tinkerspony

I think you have to apply for permanent residency yourself or through a lawyer. Once you receive PR you are free to work anywhere in Canada (except Quebec) and travel freely anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

I think you have to apply for permanent residency yourself or through a lawyer. Once you receive PR you are free to work anywhere in Canada (except Quebec) and travel freely anywhere

Thanks for the reply, the administrator at work is applying for it for me. I'm under the illusion this is how it's done.

Moved to the Canada forum. Good luck, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Thanks for the reply, the administrator at work is applying for it for me. I'm under the illusion this is how it's done.

are you sure your employer is handling permanent residency and not an LMO for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

COYVB wrote: »
    are you sure your employer is handling permanent residency and not an LMO for you?

I would assume the same. Why would an employer facilitate this for you when it allows you to leave your job and go elsewhere?

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    I would assume the same. Why would an employer facilitate this for you when it allows you to leave your job and go elsewhere?

They got us the LMO before we left Ireland. I'm hear working on a LMO and was said after 6 months of work they will apply for PR status. My understanding is that the administrator is to apply and sort all the paper work for us to obtain PR. This is what she has told me.
    One of the other lads here got his wife to go down to citizens information and Ask about getting PR. She was told that once you receive PR you have to stay in the Provence for two years before we can leave and look for work in another Provence, she was also told after 3 years we can apply for citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tinkerspony

What they probably meant was that it could take up to 2 years to receive PR and you had to stay with your current employer until then. If you get PR you are free to move and work anywhere for any company. Just double check because I'm pretty sure it is a process you must undertake yourself and not by your employer. You can do it all online yourself..gather up all the relevant documentation including proof of current employment. DO not trust your employer when they say they will do it for you...it's your duty !! It can take a while as it is a lenghty process. I know it can take up to 3 years while in Canada. Interestingly it can take less than 2 years if applying from Ireland

What they probably meant was that it could take up to 2 years to receive PR and you had to stay with your current employer until then. If you get PR you are free to move and work anywhere for any company. Just double check because I'm pretty sure it is a process you must undertake yourself and not by your employer. You can do it all online yourself..gather up all the relevant documentation including proof of current employment. DO not trust your employer when they say they will do it for you...it's your duty !! It can take a while as it is a lenghty process. I know it can take up to 3 years while in Canada. Interestingly it can take less than 2 years if applying from Ireland

They are talking about getting it started for us in the next couple of weeks, and said that it will take 6 weeks to process and then we will receive or permanent residency status.
    I'm really confused now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Sounds like there are crossed wires there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

yeah...6 weeks for PR doesn't sound right at all. The program im applying for PR under is one of the fastest and it takes a minimum of 13 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

My understanding is that once you have PR then you can work anywhere, but that may depend on the province, or I might just be misinformed.

I've heard that it takes around 6-8 months to get PR in Saskatchewan, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

What permanent residents can do

As a permanent resident, you and your dependants have the right:

To receive most social benefits that Canadian citizens receive, including health care coverage.
    To live, work or study anywhere in Canada.
    To apply for Canadian citizenship.
    To protection under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
    You must pay taxes, and respect all Canadian laws at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Advertisement