Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographing Cork

• 29-05-2013 6:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

I will be visiting Cork next month with my Aussie wife and kids. My wife has been here before but it will be my kids first time to Ireland so we want to see as much as possible in our four day trip. Both my wife and I are serious photographers and are keen to discover some not so obvious places to photograph. I have already noted places such as English Market and so on but would really appreciate anyone with a keen eye who can direct me to good vantage points overlooking the city, old bridges (have already noted Daly's and St Vincents), and old architecture or interesting streetscapes.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

Theres a photographer located in Macroom county cork , His name is John Dulea, He may be able to give you some hints for locations etc as his work is first class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There are websites here with a catalogue of Cork buildings and photos which may inspire...

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/corkphotographs/corkcameraclubhistoricalphotos/

http://corkheritage.ie/

St Finbarr's cathedral has some fantastic sculpture to photograph. Is it mainly landscape you are looking for though?

A classic one is a slow nighttime exposure looking across the river at the city hall.

The Lee fields is a good spot for shots of the river lee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

dSTAR wrote: »
    I will be visiting Cork next month with my Aussie wife and kids. My wife has been here before but it will be my kids first time to Ireland so we want to see as much as possible in our four day trip. Both my wife and I are serious photographers and are keen to discover some not so obvious places to photograph. I have already noted places such as English Market and so on but would really appreciate anyone with a keen eye who can direct me to good vantage points overlooking the city, old bridges (have already noted Daly's and St Vincents), and old architecture or interesting streetscapes.

Thanks.

Don't know if it will fit your timeline but this sounds cool:

"In a first for Ireland the Munster Blackwater River is to light up on the 21st of June, just in time for The Gathering Cruise visitors. This unique event is hoped to attract hundreds of overseas visitors to the river valley, generating much needed revenue for the local economy.

To do this the local people and visitors are been asked to shine a light on the river on the night. The event is to take place in villages and towns all along the river. There is also a flotilla of boats travelling from Cappoquin to Youghal with festivities planned on the quay in the evening.

Aidan Hallahan from the Light the Munster Blackwater said "We are hoping to bring back the people and their families who have left the area to celebrate all what is good about the river".

The committee has transformed an idea of a symbolic candle which former President Mary Robinson had used to guide the Irish home at Christmas into Lighting the Munster Blackwater River to guide its diaspora home. They hope by doing this they can bring families together to celebrate the river and hopefully inject some much needed funds in the local rural economy.

This is a first time this has been tried in this country, and a similar event happened in Tokyo, Japan and also in other Far East Countries but as a religious festival."

http://www.sailing.ie/ISANews/tabid/115/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/54661/Lighting-The-Munster-Blackwater-River.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

There's a thread here with some good vantage points overlooking the city http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055570840

There's also a hill near Tower Street, if you walk down half way, you can get a great view of the northside of the city. Not a lot though, but i love walking down that hill :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Theres a photographer located in Macroom county cork , His name is John Dulea, He may be able to give you some hints for locations etc as his work is first class

Not sure if I will get a chance to get to Macroom but will make a mental note just in case I do. I did a search for him but didn't come across a website or any of his work online. If you have a URL or contact details that would be great.
    pwurple wrote:
    St Finbarr's cathedral has some fantastic sculpture to photograph. Is it mainly landscape you are looking for though?

A classic one is a slow nighttime exposure looking across the river at the city hall.

The Lee fields is a good spot for shots of the river lee.
    I'll be taking mainly architectural shots and some street photography.

Will definitely be trialling some long exposure shots on the River Lee!

Thanks for the helpful links and tips pwurple, evilivor and SicklySweet.

:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

To be honest, Cork is so small you'll get a good sense of the place after walking around for a morning. I've rarely seen anyone do any street photography so I'd imagine you'll get a few questions. Probably the two best places for architectural stuff is St. Finbarr's Cathedral and UCC (mainly for The Quad.) Both of those have been photographed to death. I know the local photography course used to have an assignment of taking shots above street level. Cork at ground level is quite modernised, normal shop fronts, decent streets after works a few years ago. If you look above ground level to the floors above a lot of the original architecture is maintained, maybe with just different paint jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Cork is full of hills and viewpoints. The top of Richmond Hill is a good spot, as it s the top of Patrick Hill of course. The view from the docks to the north is lovely and appears a lot in old photos of Cork. If you go up to Montenotte (Montenotte Hotel is nice for afternoon tea, btw) you get lovely uninterrupted views of the harbour, Ditto Sundays Well for the other side of Cork.

View from the top of county hall is very nice - much better than from, say, the Eysian.

Kieran McCarthy has some snaps on his blog here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

If you have a car take a drive up by the airport. Some of the back roads around there have fantastic views of the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

You'll get some nice shots of the city center from the top of Shandon steeple http://www.shandonbells.ie/gallery.html or Lovers walk in Montenotte.

I'm not into photography but I've always thought the old railway line in Blackrock was a scenic spot (with Dundanion Castle & Blackrock Castle http://www.bco.ie close by):

railway-old-blackrock-line-april-2004-e.jpg

dundanion-u4733.png

Blackrock_Castle.jpg

• Advertisement

^ pics a bit huge innit.

Can you resize.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Diziet wrote: »
    Cork is full of hills and viewpoints. The top of Richmond Hill is a good spot, as it s the top of Patrick Hill of course. The view from the docks to the north is lovely and appears a lot in old photos of Cork. If you go up to Montenotte (Montenotte Hotel is nice for afternoon tea, btw) you get lovely uninterrupted views of the harbour, Ditto Sundays Well for the other side of Cork.

+1 for Sundays Well. There's a lovely place called the Mardyke which is the subject of the most famous Cork song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-i8ljrcu8w). There are some lovely views at Fitzgerald's Park (on the Mardyke) across the river. There's a famous bridge there called "The Shakey Bridge" well worth photographing. A Google search will show some images.

In the city, I quite like Pope's Quay by the river and in particular St. Mary's church there. You can walk from there up to Shandon which is nice.

Enjoy Cork and perhaps upload a few of your photos!
    Loire.

Advertisement