Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House mates / Flat Share

• 29-05-2013 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi.

I am a irish guy looking for a room is a irish house to share with other irish people, or a irish person to share a two bedroom flat with in london.

Micheal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭splanagan22

micheal B wrote: »
    Hi.

I am a irish guy looking for a room is a irish house to share with other irish people, or a irish person to share a two bedroom flat with in london.

Micheal
    Michael

I too am looking for the same. Have you any area in mind. Clapham is one that keeps popping up. I was there 2 weeks ago for a few beers and it seemed pretty lively at the weekend. If your interested we can talk more about this.

Regards
    Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Branch out a bit and move in with some random people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Branch out a bit and move in with some random people.

That's not for everyone to be fair. There can often be a lot said for moving in with like-minded people.

FTA69 wrote: »
    That's not for everyone to be fair. There can often be a lot said for moving in with like-minded people.

Ya but like minded people dont need to be Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

No but sometimes people like to have that connection as well. A lot of people enjoy attending Irish cultural events, playing GAA and frequenting Irish pubs etc, it isn't a big stretch to perhaps want to live in an Irish context as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

On of the best things about London is its diversity. Dont be afraid to move in with non-Irish.. you never know you might just like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 micheal B

Gents

Thanks for all your comments, i will take them all onboard. Now getting back to reason for my first comment, still hoping to find a irish house or irish people to share with.
    Looking too move in over the next few months.

Gents

Thanks for all your comments, i will take them all onboard. Now getting back to reason for my first comment, still hoping to find a irish house or irish people to share with.
    Looking too move in over the next few months.

You might have some luck putting an ad on gumtree and houseshare.com

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

If you join meetup.com there's a group called "Irish in London" and in the discussions section there are people offering and looking for rooms. You might be lucky there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pippin123

Hi Michael, when are you moving over to London, I want to move over by September/October and Will need to find accommodation too, If we could get a about two more Irish people together we can plan to house share.

• Advertisement

pippin123 wrote: »
    Hi Michael, when are you moving over to London, I want to move over by September/October and Will need to find accommodation too, If we could get a about two more Irish people together we can plan to house share.

I'd like to put myself forward for that. But I kind of need to get somewhere a bit sooner. Latest would be 2nd week in July. I don't know how that affects your travel arrangements.

I think the 2nd week in July would be a bit too early for me(need to save up money here before I head off), I will definitely be their by September/October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GL 77

Hi, i would be interested in a house share with other Irish people. I won't be moving until late July or August at the earliest. I'm a construction professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Hey all. I'm starting a new job close to Clapham Junction this week.

I imagine I'll be totally concentrated on getting to grips with the job for the next while but would probably be looking to move around there later in the summer.

I wouldn't necessarily be seeking an Irish house-share but wouldn't rule it out either as looking for a room solo can be a total pain in the arse. Sometimes it can be easier to seek in numbers.

One thing though...... I'm an old bird (in my thirties) so maybe you guys would prefer to have a younger house share.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what happens :D

Also, if anyone has any friends looking to fill a room in that area, let me know.

God I hate house hunting!!

we'll I 'm 36, feel like 26 though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Ah grand :D I'm 33 so only a youngster really!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cms12

I'll also be looking for a room at the end of June.
    I'm 26 and working in West London Zone 3 so ideally I'd like to live somewhere out west. Clapham would be ok for me though :)

I'm interested in Clapham area aswell, I dont have a job in london yet tho plan to go over first and sort out accommodation, then job.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 helpwanted01

Hey all,

I'm currently living in London but lease is up in next couple of months. I'd be very interested in a possible house share. Would need just a months notice. Would love to live in Clapham.

By the way, I'm 27 if that matters.

Seems to be a few looking for the same thing now,,be great to get something for everyone but unlikely to happen,,I like the idea of clapham as previously stated or even balham, I'm new to London also,,bout 2 and a half months,,I'm 26 and work in construction as a plumber,,is there anyone who is looking to get a place around July sometime,,I can organise somewhere else till August or so but I really want to get into city life and explore what the area has to offer,,I'd be looking to get into a social house with people who want to make it a home and want to become good friends as things wil be much better when everyone is after the same thing,,I'm not mad keen for a party house but I do enjoy my weekend nights out and like to keep it quiet during the week,,anyone else feeling this way?

• Advertisement

Seems to be a few looking for the same thing now,,be great to get something for everyone but unlikely to happen,,I like the idea of clapham as previously stated or even balham, I'm new to London also,,bout 2 and a half months,,I'm 26 and work in construction as a plumber,,is there anyone who is looking to get a place around July sometime,,I can organise somewhere else till August or so but I really want to get into city life and explore what the area has to offer,,I'd be looking to get into a social house with people who want to make it a home and want to become good friends as things wil be much better when everyone is after the same thing,,I'm not mad keen for a party house but I do enjoy my weekend nights out and like to keep it quiet during the week,,anyone else feeling this way?
    yeah, that is what I would be looking for, don't mind going out at weekends or whatever but wouldn't be big into mad house party's at the weekend and a student type set up, Clapham is a nice area, used to live down the road in Tooting myself many years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3 micheal B

Seems like we are getting some where now. Guys if you want to send me your numbers I can contact you. See what it is your looking for and where, see if there is a time and a place that works,
    Micheal

• Registered Users Posts: 21 helpwanted01

Hey guys,

Any update on possibly looking for a somewhere to live together? Ye guys still interested?

im still interested but i think no one else is available till end of the summer,,im leaving where i am middle of july so just going to get something short term sorted till august/september,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 confused !!

Hi all,
    I'm 30 & moved over in December and am currently on the lookout for a room to move into mid July. I'm looking in areas around Angel, Clapham & North West so would be interested in available rooms, or getting together to rent a house/flat in any of those areas.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EjaneD

[Hi Michael!

I'm just after moving over to London and got placed in accommodation in Sutton which is way far out! I'm hoping to move closer and was having a look at Clapham! When do u move over? Have u got much positive feedback? I don't have time to be looking through all the posts.

Emma :)
    Hi.

Micheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

What's all the fuss about Clapham? It's nice and everything, but nothing amazing and it's getting ridiculously expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

djpbarry wrote: »
    What's all the fuss about Clapham? It's nice and everything, but nothing amazing and it's getting ridiculously expensive.

It has the reputation of being "full of Irish" I guess is what seems to attract people.

Jamey wrote: »
    It has the reputation of being "full of Irish" I guess is what seems to attract people.
    It's no more full of Irish than anywhere else in London.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's no more full of Irish than anywhere else in London.

I think Clapham is being talked about in the same way Kilburn used to be as "the new hub for Irish expats", ie the area is reasonably nice and happens to have a chunk of Irish expats there, so it's easy (and wrong) to point at and say "Oh, that's where all the Irish are moving to now".

Fysh wrote: »
    I think Clapham is being talked about in the same way Kilburn used to be as "the new hub for Irish expats", ie the area is reasonably nice and happens to have a chunk of Irish expats there, so it's easy (and wrong) to point at and say "Oh, that's where all the Irish are moving to now".
    I know what you mean - I've heard the Irish Clapham thing a few times now. But I'm not even sure there is "a chunk" of Irish expats there - the high cost of renting there is probably a big factor in that - so I've no idea what the basis is. There isn't even an Irish pub in Clapham, as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There isn't even an Irish pub in Clapham, as far as I'm aware.

There's an O'Neills, bit of a ****hole really.

There's an O'Neills...
    Definitely doesn't count.

The Church. Maybe not officially an Irish bar but its always full of Irish.

The Church. Maybe not officially an Irish bar but its always full of Irish.
    You mean The Clapham Grand (which is actually in Battersea)? A club rather than a pub, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

You mean The Clapham Grand (which is actually in Battersea)? A club rather than a pub, surely?

The Coach and Horses is an Irish pub i think? I've never been there but I believe it's owned by Irish lads and marketed as such.

The Alex is an Irish/Aussie pub depending on what sport is on TV :D

The O'Neill's in Clapham is possibly my least favourite pub in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I enjoy London O'Neills about as much as I enjoy Wetherspoons. Not at all. The one in Leytonstone was as rough, only went in there once in two years and that was only because they were showing Ireland in the World Cup when no where else local had it.

The Coach and Horses is an Irish pub i think? I've never been there but I believe it's owned by Irish lads and marketed as such.
    Seems like a fairly generic pub to me. I've only been there once a few months ago, but it didn't strike me as noticeably different to other pubs in Clapham/Brixton.
    The Alex is an Irish/Aussie pub depending on what sport is on TV :D
    I think that if we're reduced to such tenuous connections, it kind of reinforces my point that there isn't a particularly significant Irish presence in Clapham.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This thread is veering off topic, and seems to have run its course. I'm leaning towards closing it as we don't need yet another thread where people talk about pubs and areas of London, unless any of the OPs particularly want to keep it open. (I'm not keen on having it turn into a general "Find flatmates here" thread, because it's just asking for trouble of the pedobear variety...)

Fysh wrote: »
    This thread is veering off topic...
    My bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brónaim cád??

Hi,

I'm moving over near the end of August. My job is in Southwark so I'd like to live anywhere 30mins away. Anyone looking for a room mate or wanting to get a place?

I'm still interested, anywhere south of Clapham will do me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If anyone is looking north london let me know as I'll need to find a place soon (4th - 26th August)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 weebey

Hi, I'm 24 yo male, just finishing a masters and looking for a room in London for the start of september. I'll be working it the city so somewhere handy for that. Like everyone else i've been thinking clapham but not too fussy. I lived in London before and it is and absolute pain in the balls looking for single rooms. If anyone else is in a similar position gimme a shout might be easier getiing a decent 3/4 bed house

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brónaim cád??

Hi weebey,

Clapham was too dear for me so I decided on Greenwich. I'm paying £595 PCM all inclusive. There are two more bedrooms left in the room if you are interested. I'm 22 male.

So no takers for the northside of London?

Hi weebey,

Clapham was too dear for me so I decided on Greenwich. I'm paying £595 PCM all inclusive. There are two more bedrooms left in the room if you are interested. I'm 22 male.

Was there nothing for that kind of money is clapham. I used to see loads.hiw is Greenwich. I'm living in beckenham at the minute and its quite nice.only 15 mins to central and 1 bus to clapham

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

tok9 wrote: »
    So no takers for the northside of London?

where abouts are ya looking

Somewhere close to a Victoria Line stop preferably. Was thinking Finsbury Park area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 weebey

hi bronaim

i reckon greenwich is a bit far out for me. Do u have a link to the house all the same? I'm not gonna rule anything out at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement