Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TMBG - They might be giants!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

After a quick search, seems they havent played here since 1990

Would love to see them myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'm not a real doctor, but I am a real worm, I am an actual worm... :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

After a quick search, seems they havent played here since 1990

Would love to see them myself

I was at the Olympia gig - my favourite band at the time - and got their autographs. John Linnell did a weird piranha thing in his signature and John Flansburgh did a guitar, I think. I got into them after hearing "Ana Ng", got both albums then and starting hoovering up other vinyl (which I think I still mostly have) and even tried to ring "Dial-A-Song" once - not sure if I got through though.

They were in the pub around the corner while we were waiting to get in and they walked up and knocked on the door for the bouncers to let them in - "we're the band!" The bouncers looked a little dubious but let them in.

Actually, they played Columbia Mills on Sir John Rogerson's Quay a few years later, which I was also at. The support act was Brian Dewan who I thought was incredible (mainly just him and electric dulcimer) and bought his album (Brian Dewan Tells the Story)

Both really great gigs but the Olympia gig was particularly special.

Fell out of love after Apollo 18.

Go see them!

I couldn't remember the name of the Columbia Mills venue. That was the last time they played, plugging John Henry, as I recall. I've been saying for YEARS that Aiken/Harmonic/somebody should get them over to play Vicar Street. I'm delighted it's finally happening.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Tuesday, 19th of November according to Vicar Street site.
    any way to buy a ticket NOT through Ticketmaster? Just phoned and no unless soundcelear are selling them.

Presume they won't sell out straight away?
    Are there early ticket through O2 priority tickets or is that for The Point only?

• Advertisement

Hmmm. Wonder which site is right? Ticketmaster's date of Monday, 18th would make more sense, but only if the Belfast date the night before is accurate. Once it's not the 16th (which clashes with Sigur Ros in the O2), I'm happy. :)

There won't be any priority sale, unless the band's own site has one. I've not checked, but I doubt it.
    I think it'll sell very well, and will probably eventually sell out, but I don't think it'll be panicstations on Friday.

I'm jealous of the amount of good gigs in dublin 2nd half of this year- The national (going to), Sigur Ros, TMBG (will go to), Sunday of Longitude etc.

Feck all coming to Galway...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Dear John & John,

Bring lots of t-shirts please.

Kind regards,
    Goldentickets

Just bought my ticket now. Excited about it already.
    I asked them on twitter would they be playing new material or a bit of everything and they replied 'LOT OF EVERYTHING'. (they used the capital letters).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

dinneenp wrote: »
    Just bought my ticket now. Excited about it already.
    I asked them on twitter would they be playing new material or a bit of everything and they replied 'LOT OF EVERYTHING'. (they used the capital letters).

Haha that's awesome. Just got my ticket, must follow them on Twitter

• Advertisement

Dear John & John,

Bring lots of t-shirts please.

Kind regards,
    Goldentickets

I have two TMBG tshirts that a friend brought back from the US of A for me but they're slightly too small. I never thought of putting an ad on Adverts.
    @Mod- hope you don't mine me posting this here.....
    Let me know if anyone is intereted in them, size L

1. http://www.merchdirect.com/?productid=12406

2. http://www.merchdirect.com/TheyMightBeGiants/Tshirts/Ape/?productid=14719

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Holy crap. Just saw on Twitter that they'll be playing Dublin, and found this thread.
    I've never seen them live, and loved them when I was a kid.
    Cannot. Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Golem

Which is the better venue? Been to Vicar St but never the Limelight, though the latter is slightly nearer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I was at the limelight last year for frank turner, it's just a large standing area facing the stage but there's plenty of room and the sound is fantastic. I really liked it and would definitely go back. stage is really low too if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

i was at the 1990 gig. 23 years ago fer fecks sake:mad: like most people my age when i subtract 1990 from 2013 i get 13 years. totally forget the noughties:P

i forgot most gigs but i remember that one! went there not expecting much and they turned out to be brilliant. ahh those where the days.....

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I was at the limelight last year for frank turner, it's just a large standing area facing the stage but there's plenty of room and the sound is fantastic. I really liked it and would definitely go back. stage is really low too if i remember correctly.

Thanks. Do you know if it's over 18s only? The Limelight website is under construction so doesn't say anything about it.

The Pixies are playing on the same night. Would love to see both but Pixies are sold out anyway.
    If I had to choose between the two I'd still go for TMBG as I've seen the Pixies before and might get a chance again whereas with TMBG don't know when they'll play Ireland again.

The Golem wrote: »
    Thanks. Do you know if it's over 18s only? The Limelight website is under construction so doesn't say anything about it.

Over 18s. Doesn't bode well for my 14-year-old sister.

Any idea who is supporting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Heard about this a few months ago, really want to go to the Vicar street gig if I can!

• Advertisement

Has anyone else not gotten their ticket yet (I bought online)?
    Anyone know what time they'll be on stage?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

dinneenp wrote: »
    Has anyone else not gotten their ticket yet (I bought online)?
    Anyone know what time they'll be on stage?
    Cheers.

I got mine a few months ago soon after I ordered them.

The Wonder Villians are supporting.

Phantom 1052 giving away 10 pairs of tics fir the gig. Some gone, some still left. I won 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I'd say they're struggling to fill this one. I have access to 4 tickets if anyone would like them.

Well, I'm going - fulfilling a promise I made to myself when I was studying for the Inter Cert.
    God, where did those years go?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Heartland

I'd say they're struggling to fill this one. I have access to 4 tickets if anyone would like them.

I know it's very late in the day but I'd love to go. Do you have tickets to give away or sell? And is it sold out? (I'll go check the website now so don't worry about answering that one). Saw them in 1990 at the Olympia with my dad and they blew me away. Went out and bought Flood on vinyl the next day. Proceeded to wear it out.

God, that was great... I'd say I knew about one tenth of the songs but somehow it didn't matter - they're terrific show men.
    When are they back??

It was great. Flansy was cranked up to eleven all night - possibly too high on some songs, 'cos the vocals were occasionally drowned out - but I can kind of forgive that, as you couldn't fault them for onstage dynamism and sheer energy. A few standouts off the top of my head would be Don't Let's Start, Rhythm Section Want Ad and New York City and I loved the fact that we got to see them do Fingertips.
    It was a shame it hadn't sold better. I think that can only be partly attributed to the clash with the Pixies gig, since TMBG went on sale first. I suppose not everyone who got into them twenty-plus years ago would necessarily be still that interested in going to see them in 2013. The fools!

It was my second time seeing Wonder Villains and I was impressed with them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

what delbert said. great gig

Advertisement