Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary lay off

Options
  • 29-05-2013 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

I was told at 4.30 last night that i and the rest of the workforce is being temporary laid off as from friday with no return start date just a we hope to have work in the future for you statement. I have been there 8yrs. We are paid monthly and this will be our payday. Should we have been given more notice? And where do i go from here. Haven't been out of work since 1986 so its a bit of a shock to the system :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

We're you given "Protective Notice"?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

Sorry but whats protective notice? I was just given a letter yesterday saying no work so laying you off basically. Not a word said to us before and they had us working overtime up until 2 weeks ago.

kristian12 wrote: »
    Sorry but whats protective notice? I was just given a letter yesterday saying no work so laying you off basically. Not a word said to us before and they had us working overtime up until 2 weeks ago.

Protective Notice is when the company (generally one in trouble) gives you notice that your job may get the chop if a certain series of circumstances happen. I was put on protective notice a few years ago due to another area of the company threatening industrial action. When they went on strike we were given letters immediatley telling us that we're laid off.

If no protective notice was issued you may have recourse with the company. That is depeding on your contract or conditions. Not sure though.

Ok thanks, no no notice was given until yesterday. I'd rather take redundancy but apparantly thats not an option until 13 weeks? At least then i'd know where i stood.

kristian12 wrote: »
    Ok thanks, no no notice was given until yesterday. I'd rather take redundancy but apparantly thats not an option until 13 weeks? At least then i'd know where i stood.

Found this
    I was only given a weeks notice of redundancy, is this legal? -

Under the Minimum Notice and Terms of Employment Acts 1973 to 2001, there is an increasing scale of entitlement to notice of redundancy linked to your length of service (which has to be 2 years or more). The notice periods are as follows:
    Length of Service Minimum Notice
    • 2 years to less than 5 years 2 weeks
    • 5 years to less than 10 years 4 weeks
    • 10 years to less than 15 years 6 weeks
    • More than 15 years 8 weeks
    Therefore if your service is 2 years or more, you are entitled to at least 2 weeks notice. Please note you must have 2 years service with your employer to be entitled to statutory redundancy.
    In the case that you have less than 2 years service, you should consult with your trade union for negotiated provisions.

Scource: http://www.unionconnect.ie/rights/9/

• Advertisement

Thanks Sean thats very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In the very short term, you need to go to your local Welfare office, take your letter with you, and ask them

1) what you may be entitled to
    2) what other paperwork they need from you so you can claim.

Also take other paperwork that they may want: birth certificate, passport, your most recent P45, your last payslip, proof of address (eg power-bill, phone bill, anythign official with your name and address on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

seanmacc wrote: »

OP has not yet been made redundant, so the notice outlined above doesn't apply yet. This only comes into effect if the temporary lay off ends in redundancy. It appears that there is no minimum notice period required for temporary lay off, although there may be a more definitive answer to this elsewhere.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/redundancy/lay_off_short_time_working_and_redundancy.html

OP there are situations where your employers needs your agreement to temporary measures - if you do not agree they can make you redundant sooner, which might actually suit you better.

My advice is to contact Workplace relations (formerly NERA) and confirm your rights re: notice period. But from what I can see on citizens information there is no notice period specified for temp lay off, only for redundancy.

Good luck, hopefully it will only be a temporary measure.

Advertisement