Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you find a job in Canada?

Options
  • 29-05-2013 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if there are any good websites for jobs in Canada?
    There doesn't appear to be many Irish recruitment agencies dealing with Canada at the moment and there are no overseas expo's coming up for the next few months.
    How did you get your job in Canada? By applying directing to a company in Canada? (We don't qualify for the visa for the under 35's unfortunately..too old! :()

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

www.monster.ca
    www.workopolis.com
    www.jobbank.gc.ca

These are the main 3 I used to find work.

What kind of work are you both in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

www.monster.ca
    www.workopolis.com
    www.jobbank.gc.ca

These are the main 3 I used to find work.

What kind of work are you both in?

Thanks. Hubby is an engineer. Thought he had a job lined up through a friend but it seems to have fallen through.

Do companies have any issues with regards to sponsoring foreigners coming over? I see the links you posted are for Canadian recruitment companies rather than Irish. We would need sponsorship as we are too old to qualify for the IEC...well, hubby is, I am not...and anyway it would be another year before they would come up again.

We kind of need something ASAP over there! Thanks!

Depends on the province and the company really.
    The company I am working for in Saskatchewan had no problem sponsoring me because they cant get people to move here.
    I had no visa when I was applying and they were happy to wait til it got sorted.

Making calls is a help too.
    For 9.99 s month you will get unlimited international calls on Skype might be good to use those websites to get names of companies and call them up as well as send the resume in

Depends on the province and the company really.
    The company I am working for in Saskatchewan had no problem sponsoring me because they cant get people to move here.
    I had no visa when I was applying and they were happy to wait til it got sorted.

Making calls is a help too.
    For 9.99 s month you will get unlimited international calls on Skype might be good to use those websites to get names of companies and call them up as well as send the resume in

Thanks a million for the great advice and hope the move has worked out well for you over there.

So far so good, we live in a small town of 500 people about 2 hours from saskatoon.
    But the job is great and the company is really good.
    The daycare is excellent here as well and costs just $3:00 an hour!

• Advertisement

So far so good, we live in a small town of 500 people about 2 hours from saskatoon.
    But the job is great and the company is really good.
    The daycare is excellent here as well and costs just $3:00 an hour!

Wow that sounds good. Sounds like everything is going well. Daycare costs sound great-certainly beats the almost €2k a month we pay for crèche for our kids here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

The basic rule of thumb with sponsorship is that there must not be another Canadian citizen readily available to take the job. So as mentioned above that would apply to areas of low population, specialized work or executive level positions.

Advertisement