Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clematis armandii help.

• 29-05-2013 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

i bought this over a week ago. i have fed it and kept it well watered but its not looking good. any help appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I had the same issue a month or so ago but I was helpfully informed here just to make sure it's in a plenty deep hole, keep it well watered and cover the base with mulch or bricks.
    Mine came to life after about a month. What looked like dead stems sprouted growth at the ends. It's slow going. I'd hoped they'd be faster.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

right thats what i have read online. i am going to dig it up and dig the hole deeper. i will also cover it with mulch. i will feed it again also. thanks for the tip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dont over feed it and over water it though.

Clematis needs a good few weeks to settle in,before it takes.

Some manure and some grit mixed into the soil will also help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

You'll need to dig the hole at least 18 inches deep and break up the soil underneath. Add copious amount of organic matter compost or the like but not manure. I wouldn't add grit unless you have really heavy clay, anyway the organic matter will do this job fine as well as feeding the plant so don't bother with feeding it. It is also IMO planted too close to the wall, try and get it at least a foot out preferably 18 inches, the foot of the wall is going to be drying out too quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

padi89 wrote: »
    You'll need to dig the hole at least 18 inches deep and break up the soil underneath. Add copious amount of organic matter compost or the like but not manure. I wouldn't add grit unless you have really heavy clay, anyway the organic matter will do this job fine as well as feeding the plant so don't bother with feeding it. It is also IMO planted too close to the wall, try and get it at least a foot out preferably 18 inches, the foot of the wall is going to be drying out too quickly.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=97

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

paddy147 wrote: »

Still wouldn't bother, given plenty of bulky matter and a thick mulch i've never felt a need to feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

if your replanting it, place it at an angle to the wall. This makes sure that it gets enough water as plants at a wall sometimes are missed by our lovely showers. they do take a bit to settle in. Be patient and look forward to when it takes off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

i bought this over a week ago. i have fed it and kept it well watered but its not looking good. any help appreciated.

looking at the picture, is the chicken wire to keep pets away?

I had a similar problem with a Hydrangea and I put it down to our dog urinating on it.

Had to build raised beds so we could have some colour in the garden.

Tulipout wrote: »
    looking at the picture, is the chicken wire to keep pets away?

I had a similar problem with a Hydrangea and I put it down to our dog urinating on it.

Had to build raised beds so we could have some colour in the garden.

Nail on head...little git kept digging them out. i dont think he will do it again but i am not taking chances. it is a raised brick bed three high.

update, its now in three weeks or so and its flying up. i was just a tad impatient. i stopped watering it everyday so thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

An old gardening tip for planting a new clematis is to plant at an angle to wall and as the rootball prefers cool soil conditions to cover the top of the rootball with a large stone.

I planted two different clematis plants and one of them is being savaged by night creepers. Looks like they have tiny tiny mouths cos even the smallest leaves have tiny holes. No sign of the buggers during the day.

Anyone know what it might be or how I can prevent it?
    Thanks in advance.

david75 wrote: »
    I planted two different clematis plants and one of them is being savaged by night creepers. Looks like they have tiny tiny mouths cos even the smallest leaves have tiny holes. No sign of the buggers during the day.

Anyone know what it might be or how I can prevent it?
    Thanks in advance.

Might be slugs, they will do the damage at night and be gone my morning. The slugs took a liking to our clematis ontil I got some pellets.

Yeah the pellets didn't work for me. Balls

Thanks anyways.

Go out during the night with a torch and catch them in the act;)

I'm thinking of doing that too.
    Just realised the clematis in question is surrounded by lots of summer wild flowers I'd planted. They all seem to be fine. It's strange. Wonder if its caterpillars or slugs? I'll keep an eye.

The plant itself seem to be flourishing(no flowers at all yet but 1 little bud waiting to open) I thought these things were meant to be rapid growing. Ah well. Someone told me gardening is about patience. I'll have to learn me some:)

Advertisement