Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Portarlington

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

I lived in Kilnacourt for four years and it was the quietest place i've ever lived. There was a problem with outsiders using the apartment bin area. One bollocks came from as far as Geashill to dump, Another dumper came from Lough Gate, but either way the issue of dumping effects all parts of Port. A gangster was shot dead last year but in such a small town as Port you really can't get away from the trouble that a few scumbags bring wherever they go. Anyone who thinks Kilnacourt is in any way a 'rough' estate has led a very sheltered life...the sort that see some teenagers sitting on a wall and assume they're dealing crack cocaine. I'll be happy to live there again if the chance arises.

That's encouraging as I'm going to look at a house there tomorrow. I'm surprised at some of the negativity about Kilnacourt. The whole point of my moving is to get out of the big smoke and "Escape to the Country" just like the title of the BBC programme. Somewhere quiet is top of the list so petrol bombing didn't really cross my mind. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 J.e.n.k

Best of luck it's a very large estate any bit of trouble that happened could have happened anywhere and has .Also they are well built houses well finished in most places particularly older part kilnacourt the glen is newer estate. In good position central /health care centre schools etc Never had any problems here personally .Some previous posts were very dramatic and only dwell on negativity .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

That's encouraging as I'm going to look at a house there tomorrow. I'm surprised at some of the negativity about Kilnacourt. The whole point of my moving is to get out of the big smoke and "Escape to the Country" just like the title of the BBC programme. Somewhere quiet is top of the list so petrol bombing didn't really cross my mind. :eek:

Then perhaps you should look at a house "in the country" and not in a housing estate less than 15 yrs old in a town that has a lot of Dublin people living in it.

hmmmmmm, a lovely estate will murder and petrol bombings, what else could happen..........

http://www.portarlington.ie/cannabis-factory-raided-in-portarlington/

Surely it's a good thing the Garda are cracking down on crime . There has been few busts like this in portarlington over the years like in 2011 €100,000 heroin and gun found in canal court off whitefields and it's fine since . If your not urself involved in criminality doesn't affect you .

• Advertisement

J.e.n.k wrote: »
    Surely it's a good thing the Garda are cracking down on crime . There has been few busts like this in portarlington over the years like in 2011 €100,000 heroin and gun found in canal court off whitefields and it's fine since . If your not urself involved in criminality doesn't affect you .

Tell that to the families who had to escape from their burning homes when they were petrol bombed before christmas. Criminality effects everyone.

Thankfully the people in apartments effected that night were all ok there is other problems there like no emergency exits in apts also hope they get sorted and need better security . But no point bringing up same things over and over criminality doesn't effect everyone .

Thankfully the people in apartments effected that night were all ok there is other problems there like no emergency exits in apts also hope they get sorted and need better security . But no point bringing up same things over and over criminality doesn't effect everyone .

Knowing some of those families and how they are still being effected by the incident with management companies & insurance companies i can tell you that that specific night started a ripple that will last for 6 to 12 months or more.

Saying that criminality doesn't effect everyone is just plain wrong. How much of the tax we pay goes to

1. combating criminality
    2. cleaning up after criminality
    3. housing criminals

How many break in's and small crimes go unreported because people feel there's no point as they criminals will never be caught and if they are they'll be in and out of prison in no time.

Ask yourself how much could shops reduce prices if they didn't have to deal with shoplifters and pay for security.

In a small town like Portarlinton Centra on Main St now has a security guard in the evenings, why ??

Sorry its just wrong to say criminality doesn't effect everyone on a daily basis, clearly it does.

I would agree with some of those points .but can't make smart generalisation that these crimes are making kilnacourt / portarlington a bad place .when the normal everyday people don't deserve it. Best thing is not pay them so much attention and hope it is over with . Don't let them ruin portarlington .

I would agree with some of those points .but can't make smart generalisation that these crimes are making kilnacourt / portarlington a bad place .when the normal everyday people don't deserve it. Best thing is not pay them so much attention and hope it is over with . Don't let them ruin portarlington .

I would say that a gangland murder, apts being petrol bombed and a cannibas factory in the same estate give the place a bad name. Its not like these are being made up, that happened AND to show how little landlords in that estate care about others...........the guy who the petrol bombing was aimed at has now moved into another apt in Kilnacourt....:rolleyes:

I never said the crimes are making Portarlington a bad place BUT to say that crime doen't effect everyone is a very naive outlook on society.

• Advertisement

Also naive to think kilnacourt is only place with trouble few bad ones all over town .

Also naive to think kilnacourt is only place with trouble few bad ones all over town .

Ok, well then name another estate with murder, petrol bombs AND a cannabis grow factory. The FACTS are that all that has happened in Kilnacourt and statistically speaking it has had a high level of serious crime in recent times compared to any other area of the town.

You can try to dress it up any way you want but facts are facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

http://www.midlands103.com/news/11drugs-copy-local-md-news

Just wanted to point out it's not only Kilnacourt things like this happen in!

elsy wrote: »
    http://www.midlands103.com/news/11drugs-copy-local-md-news

Just wanted to point out it's not only Kilnacourt things like this happen in!

Agreed but no one said it was. What i said was the majority of high level criminal acts in recent times have involved Kilnacourt and there's no arguing about that. I don't like it, i lived in Kilnacourt myself almost 9 years ago and only, i have friends that live there now and i only live a short distance from it now. But you can't hide the what's happened there in recent times.

I'm not disputing what has happened they happened nothing can change that but what I am disputing is that it is a horrible place to live. On a day to day basis I like living here I'm living here since 2007 and generally it is very quite. Obviously the mentioned events did happen but honestly if I heard a noise outside my house It would throw me completely cause I never hear a thing or person and any of the neighbours I do know are great people. It's very easy to forget the positive.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

elsy wrote: »
    I'm not disputing what has happened they happened nothing can change that but what I am disputing is that it is a horrible place to live. On a day to day basis I like living here I'm living here since 2007 and generally it is very quite. Obviously the mentioned events did happen but honestly if I heard a noise outside my house It would throw me completely cause I never hear a thing or person and any of the neighbours I do know are great people. It's very easy to forget the positive.

??? who at any stage said that kilnacourt was a horrible place to live?

I think you are having an argument that doesnt exist.

Kilnacourt has a bad reputation that is unfortunately based on previous incidents within what is, obviously, the biggest estate in portarlington.

I would still stand by my opinion that if someone was to ask me where the best places to live in portarlington were, kilnacourt would be towards he bottom of the list... mainly due to the previous incidents but also due to the standard of construction and the standard of the estate design.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ??? who at any stage said that kilnacourt was a horrible place to live?

I think you are having an argument that doesnt exist.

Kilnacourt has a bad reputation that is unfortunately based on previous incidents within what is, obviously, the biggest estate in portarlington.

I would still stand by my opinion that if someone was to ask me where the best places to live in portarlington were, kilnacourt would be towards he bottom of the list... mainly due to the previous incidents but also due to the standard of construction and the standard of the estate design.

+1 on all that.

Comments like <modsnip> are very derograrderogotry to the decent people living there. I do accept that due to the incidents that have happened it might not be top of a list of recommendations but I'm just saying that the vast majority of people living there are very decent people. There seems to be a huge clamp down by the Gardai in all of portarlington at present so hopefully it will stop been viewed as a safe haven for these criminals. I'm not trying to say the events didn't happen or argue I just find some of the comments insulting to those of us living here that are decent people.

For anyone reading This was never a fair or useful boards on moving to portarlington at all .It instead became an unnecessary obvious nasty rant and crime watch that everyone already knew . we can look up news . Think of all the developments in portarlington .there are some very poorly constructed estates in port yet no mention of those not that there should be just saying. Just an ongoing rant ... That needs to end .

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

For anyone reading This was never a fair or useful boards on moving to portarlington at all .It instead became an unnecessary obvious nasty rant and crime watch that everyone already knew . we can look up news . Think of all the developments in portarlington .there are some very poorly constructed estates in port yet no mention of those not that there should be just saying. Just an ongoing rant ... That needs to end .

there are six, YES SIX, estates mentioned in the first 7 posts in this thread
    :confused::rolleyes:

Whats with people trying to create arguments out of nothing in this thread? they either haven fully read it and are making silly assumptions, or they are deliberately ignoring whats been posted......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

I've removed above a bunch of personalised sniping and some backseat modding.

Bear in mind before posting again, that the vast majority of the residents of any/all of the estates being discussed are decent upstanding ordinary people.
    Remember that they can (and likely ARE) reading this too, so reflect on what you're about to post and ask yourself how you might react if someone else was posting the same thing about your home place.
    No one is being asked to ignore true events or to gloss over unfortunate circumstances, but you ARE required to be measured and considerate in you contributions.

Any further personal or vindictive comments will be met with sanctions.

[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Guilty of the back seat stuff there. Sorry all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lastsplash

Well said moderator . I can't believe this thread is still going !!
    It started as someone asking about moving to portarlington and ended up as a debate over kilnacourt woods.
    Any newsworthy events believe me make the paper or news . Is there a need to bring them up again here ? This is not a thread to highlight negative aspects that may arise in one estate. People love to talk about the bad and ignore the good and it's not a fair representation .
    I think enough comments have been made . The people who
    started the thread will most surely of made their moving decisions by now !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 movie123

Hi just wondering how these areas are now to live in?
    Not looking to knock an area.
    Thinking of buying.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MAD779

Hi
    Wow that is a serious thread of pissed people. All i'll say is breathe, count to ten..
    Ok I am a blow in from Westmeath living with my boyfriend in the Birches. This is our first place together, justhere 7 months. We were here when the guy got arrested for the guns and drugs and for that unfortunate fire in the oaks also.
    It is such a shame that these had to happen in Kilnacourt because having never moved away from home, I have never felt more safe in Kilnacourt and do definately consider Portarlington my home now.
    Everyone is so so friendly and we are even looking to try and stay in Kilnacourt and buy one of the houses due to the lovely little mini community that has developed here.
    Im glad that the residents of Kilnacourt defend the estate so much. Its a lovely place to live! And I don't blame the comments other people make about the reputation it may or may not have. Noone can choose where people get shot, murdered, done for drugs, fire bomb an apartment. Its a shame it had to happen in Kilnacourt. The only thing to do is move forward. I will always recommend Kilnacourt for its sense of community. NOONE is better than anyone here and dont judge it unless you've lived in it. Kilnacourt is just as good as Whitefield, Castlegate and Station Court. Its BER ratings are amoungst the best in the town. To whom ever wishes to move to Kilnacourt, Get the facts straight and go with your own judgement. You will not be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MAD779

movie123 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering how these areas are now to live in?
    Not looking to knock an area.
    Thinking of buying.
    Cheers

Lovely place.
    The Glen is the newest part - the most furthers and the Kilnacourt woods is the oldest.
    Only 7 or 8 of the glen houses left at the back.
    75k for a townhouse.
    85K for 3 bed semi.

BER Rating C1-3

MAD779 wrote: »
    Lovely place.
    The Glen is the newest part - the most furthers and the Kilnacourt woods is the oldest.
    75k for a townhouse.
    85K for 3 bed semi.

BER Rating C1-3

Cheers nice to read the comments.
    Like a breath of fresh air.
    Thsnks for posting

MAD779 wrote: »
    Lovely place.
    75k for a townhouse.
    85K for 3 bed semi.

BER Rating C1-3

Cheers nice to read the comments.
    Like a breath of fresh air.
    Thsnks for posting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Andoreea

Hi, i am trying to buy a house in The glenn development and the process is very slow. Please, has anybody bought a house there? How was the transaction? Any problems?

Advertisement