Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zooming on from the 2013 Edinburgh Marathon..

Options
  • 29-05-2013 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Here we go again!
    The start of a new chapter, thank you to all of those long suffering posters who followed me on my journey to complete the 2013 Edinburgh Marathon, it was a long road but Im pleased to say it was worth it in every possible sense.
    For those of you who are new, feel free to browse through my training log here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056757927
    and comment as you see fit!
    NEW GOALS.
    As you all know Im not one for resting on my laurels, so my next run is the Flora Womens Mini Marathon (seems a bit offensive to call it a marathon really!) on Monday June 3rd. Last year I did it in 71 mins which qualifies me as a fast jogger (ha) I would love to beat that time, but seeing as it is coming off the back of my marathon that may not happen. My big run up after that is the Great North Run in Newcastle in September, again my goal is to beat my 2 hr 34 Dublin half marathon time, and after that there will be another MARATHON next year, I am in the ballot for London and I would LOVE that but its hard to get into. I will make my final decision on what marathon I will do once the ballot results are out in October, it could be Paris or Barcelona so wait and see nearer the time. There may be a few other 10ks dotted here and there throughout the year but my main interest is the longer distance.
    So here we go again, lets shave a few minutes off those previous times
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

I'm just back from my first run after the Edinburgh Marathon last Sunday, 3 slow miles to stretch me out a bit. Legs felt a bit dead and you would think it was my first ever run!! I wasn't bothered really as I knew it would be a toughie. A bit of stretching and am looking forward to the 10k in Dublin tomorrow.

Today was the mini marathon, and boy oh BOY was it hot!
    As I ran quicker than 75 mins last year I qualified as a "fast jogger" and got into the pink pen which wasn't nearly as crowded as last years cattle truck of a blue pen.
    The start was a mad mess, pushing and shoving and running across the front of you, darting to friends etc it was a bit crazy! I have to say I struggled a bit today due to the HEAT, at one point I had to walk for a minute, I made the mistake of finishing my water just before the run so I wouldn't have to carry the bottle, I had loads of water taken do I wasn't dehydrated but the heat bouncing up off the road was unbearable at times. I was glad to get it done TBH and I did not enjoy it. Plus I had come down alone and had no support at the end which was badly missed. No one was out with a hose either and that was something I was waiting for...
    A learning curve.
    I learned today I DON'T LIKE TO RUN IN THE HEAT.
    Early morning run starts are best, not 2pm in the mid day sun.
    A great event and another medal, but I'm a bit disappointed I finished exactly the same time as last year, mind you I did run a marathon last weekend so legs might not be back to normal yet!
    A rest day tomorrow and back into my morning runs on Wednesday

Anyone able to help me out with a plan for 8 weeks?
    My Half marathon training plan for the GNR will begin at the end of July, but Im a bit unsure what to do between now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hi zooming, just read the last post on your blog where you are looking for a training plan to make you faster. That plan you put up looks good (despite the technical language) but I would say it is too advanced for someone at your level. Put simply, the best way for you to get faster is to run more. I don't know how often you train but if you train 4 times a week think about adding another day, and then another day after that. More miles is the thing that will make the biggest difference to you. Someone looking to break 70 minutes for a 10k does not need speedwork IMO, they need steady, consistent mileage. If you can safely and gradually up your mileage you will for a couple of months you can and will break 70 minutes This coming from someone who has been running for a few years now and has plateaued a bit, I've done lots of speedwork but it's only now after talking to my coach that I realise what I need is not more speedwork, but more miles, so that's what I'm doing, increasing my mileage base. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that, I wasnt actually using that improvers plan, I stuck it in my blog to illustrate how complicated some of these plans are!!
    Too much for my wee mind to comprehend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

zooming wrote: »
    Cheers for that, I wasnt actually using that improvers plan, I stuck it in my blog to illustrate how complicated some of these plans are!!
    Too much for my wee mind to comprehend

It'd be well worth your while getting a copy of Daniels running formula. Theres some really good beginner plans which are operated on a graduation system. Think the first one is the white plan, then the red plan, then blue, then gold(The white plan could even be too basic for you). Theres advanced half marathon and marathon plans in there aswell but I think its well worked in that you can graduate from one plan to the next.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daniels-Running-Formula-programs-marathon/dp/0736054928/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373447107&sr=1-1&keywords=daniels+running+formula

Off on Saturday to take part in the GREAT NORTH RUN. I'm sure I will be blogging about it
    www.zoomingtilly.wordpress.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement