Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get broadband on my Eircom land line

• 29-05-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,888 ✭✭✭✭

I moved to a house in Co. Limerick, 9km's from the city. Found it very hard to get Broadband and so had to settle for having a line installed by Eircom. After waiting a month for this, the line was installed yesterday. I tried to order Broadband today and was told I can't get broadband on my line as it failed the Broadband test. I am about 2 miles from the closest exchange and some of my neighbours have BB with Eircom.

Anyone else get this problem? Eircom said I can't get BB from any other provider that uses their lines. I tried getting Digiweb wireless but too far from base station. I watch netflix, online gaming, multiple devices connected at once so need a high cap. Using a meteor dongle at the minute but need stable BB for work.

Anyone able to recommend another ISP that doesn't use Eircoms lines?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Man that is nuts! How in gods name are your neighbours able to get it and you're not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

sheehy83 wrote: »

Anyone able to recommend another ISP that doesn't use Eircoms lines?

Thanks.

Well if you can't get broadband on your phone line you are stuffed really. You could cancel the line if you made it clear at install time it was for broadband...

Your options are pretty limited so I'd recommend a fixed wireless ISP (not the mobile stuff as it's a different system). If you let us know roughly where we can tell you what is around you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

. After waiting a month for this, the line was installed yesterday.

Ring them again to test the line. I found that it took 48 hrs before my line was correctly registered in their system for the test. It could be that, unless the engineer has put in a split line.... You can test this by using a modem (if you have one) and dialling 1892 150 150 (Use any username/password). If it only connects at 28Kbps then you are on a split line and nothing can be done. If it connects at 56kbps (or greater than 28kbps anyhow) you probably have the line to yourself, so worth chasing them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,888 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks Lads, I rang Eircom back and after a few laps with Service, Cancellations and Faults, turns out the line might need another day or so to pass the Broadband test so I shouldn't have cancelled. That news would have been helpful to me before I cancelled! I have to ring back tomorrow to reactivate the line, then wait a few days and they will test again. Oh woe is Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Thanks Lads, I rang Eircom back and after a few laps with Service, Cancellations and Faults, turns out the line might need another day or so to pass the Broadband test

The tests used to be only run once a month, don't know what the test schedule is these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I had a 'fight' with Eircom about my line about 4 yrs ago. It was split and I got a new one put in that they couldn't say was BB enabled until it was in - but I did tell the engineer that it was for BB so as to try and get it enabled. In the end the whole procedure was a complete joke - every change they made took 24 hrs to be updated on their system. I'd ring and their customer service would put me through to some random person in Dublin who'd tell me to wait another 24 hrs for the system to update - sorry I can't give you any more info.... More than once they even just hung up on me. Now there's customer service.

What with them cancelling the wrong line (yeap the new one they had 'just' put in) and failing to change my number over correctly to the new line, I was without a fully working phone line for 5 days. Unreal. Haven't been a customer since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

bealtine wrote: »
    The tests used to be only run once a month, don't know what the test schedule is these days

Still the same. Second Tuesday of every month, supposedly. :rolleyes:
    Though they can "force" prequals when a line becomes active. Don't understand why they weren't able to do this for the OP when the line became active initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,888 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just got the modem today and works fine, 4.8mbs download (I was told can only get 5mbs on the line) but only .28 mb's upload.

So glad to have Internet back but Eircom have been such a joke to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SingAHappySong

I moved out of the City a few years ago into a new build house .. I rang Speircom to see if they provided BB in the area, they refused to answer until I paid €172 to get a phone Line in and then have the line tested ,, they couldn't (Sorry ,,, They wouldn't) even answer my question about whether the exchange in the area was broadband enabled or capable . So I said I'll see if I can get another provider to get broadband from somewhere else .. and she started laughing ,,, So that's what you're up against ...thats why our infrastructure is still in the last century..

I moved out of the City a few years ago into a new build house .. I rang Speircom to see if they provided BB in the area, they refused to answer until I paid €172 to get a phone Line in and then have the line tested ,, they couldn't (Sorry ,,, They wouldn't) even answer my question about whether the exchange in the area was broadband enabled or capable . So I said I'll see if I can get another provider to get broadband from somewhere else .. and she started laughing ,,, So that's what you're up against ...thats why our infrastructure is still in the last century..

What exchange/area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

MBSnr wrote: »
    Ring them again to test the line. I found that it took 48 hrs before my line was correctly registered in their system for the test. It could be that, unless the engineer has put in a split line.... You can test this by using a modem (if you have one) and dialling 1892 150 150 (Use any username/password). If it only connects at 28Kbps then you are on a split line and nothing can be done. If it connects at 56kbps (or greater than 28kbps anyhow) you probably have the line to yourself, so worth chasing them up.

How do you go about dialing a phone No through a modem ?

SPAWKER wrote: »
    How do you go about dialing a phone No through a modem ?

Dial-up modem. They connect by dialling a number..

Advertisement