Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cream cheese blocks

Options
  • 29-05-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I haven't been able to find the Philly blocks of cream cheese lately, tried both Dunnes and Tesco with no luck. The tubs are grand but they're a bit wet in comparison and that's why I like the firmness of the blocks, especially in cheesecake. Any sightings lately? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I would love to know this too! Isn't the block so much nicer?? I haven't seen it in Tesco for ages, used to be able to pick it up in Super Value but they have gotten rid of it now as well :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I haven't seen the philly blocks - but tesco do their own brand blocks, which I find fairly similar in taste - would they work instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Well I spent quite a while this afternoon checking online and the Kraft websites for Ireland and the UK are not showing them in their list of products. I am completely baffled now, have they done away with their own product after all these years? I couldn't find any explanation at all, it's just all tubs now other than little individual portions like butter pats. Sweet fanny adams use when your baked cheesecake recipe calls for 3 or 4 blocks. I'll bet that some marketing knowitall decided that it's just old-fashioned and will have to go. While online I saw some new, ready to go, snip the plastic corner pre-prepared do-das (I'm getting tired of so much "convenience") which makes me wonder if they realise that there are still quite a few of us out here who still like to actually cook..........from scratch. I'm annoyed, does it show?!!!

Thanks Dinkie, I hadn't spotted the Tesco blocks but I will look again when I'm in. I'm sure they will do fine, it's the firmer consistency that makes the difference. I made cream cheese frosting recently and had to use the tubs, couldn't get it to set up enough to use and had to add melted white chocolate to finish the cake. It worked in the end but the flavour wasn't tangy the way I expected it to be. You have offered a glimmer of hope! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Try emailing Kraft and asking? Let us know if you get a reply.

I noticed a few years ago that the blocks were becoming scarce. It's a shame, because they're much better for baking with.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I did think about it but their email enquiry page wanted way too much personal information just to ask a question and I'm getting a bit grumpy about that kind of thing these days! An email address should be sufficient for a reply, they certainly don't need full name, full address, email, telephone etc., etc., so I spent quite a while longer googling how to make my OWN cream cheese. Honestly! And it appears to be quite easy once you can find the right culture and some rennet. If I can't find the Tesco blocks, I will REALLY be cooking from scratch!

• Advertisement
Advertisement