Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beautiful Summers Day

Options
  • 29-05-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Beautiful Summers Day, The Sun gods have smiled on us for a change. If only it would last in to the Bank Holiday Weekend.... :confused:

2d2gd0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was looking forward to a nice weekend until Met Eireann just updated their forecast, not looking as godd as I thought.

Outlook

Cloud will increase generally on Thursday night and light rain or drizzle in the northwest and west will tend to spread further east and south. Friday will start cloudy with a little rain or drizzle in places. However, it will become mainly dry by afternoon, although cloud will be slow to break. The most likely locations for sunny intervals to develop will be the southeast and south of the country. Winds will remain light to moderate, northwesterly throughout. It will be rather cool for the time of year in the north and west but the east and south will be reasonably mild. Friday night will continue mainly dry but still rather cloudy. However, a little drizzle or light rain may appear in northwestern coastal districts by dawn. Winds will back northwest to west, light to moderate, overnight and it will stay fairly mild. A mainly dry start to Saturday, with some brightness likely in the south and southeast for a time. However, outbreaks of rain affecting northwestern and western coasts will soon spread to most of Ulster and Connaught. These provinces, as well as parts of north Leinster and west Munster, will experience further outbreaks of rain, most of it light, through the afternoon and evening. Moderate, westerly breezes will keep it quite cool for the start of June. A lot of cloud is likely across the country early on Sunday, with further outbreaks of light rain or drizzle, mainly in the north and west. The rain and drizzle will tend to become confined to coasts of the northwest later and cloud is likely to break slowly elsewhere as the day goes on. Light, west to southwest breezes generally and becoming rather mild in many places by evening with the help of some sunshine. Aside from some coastal drizzle in the west and northwest, Bank Holiday Monday will be dry with a mixture of cloud and sunshine; winds will be light and it will feel warm in most areas. There are indications that Tuesday and Wednesday next will be dry and warm with sunshine and only light breezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

As always with good weather in Ireland, it's never set in stone.

However, I think that the forecast will chop and change a few more times between mild and sunny and cool and cloudy over the course of the next few days.

I think areas further south and east seem like seeing the best of the weather this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Met error are crap forecasters, or maybe I should say curiously pessimistic ones, when as they tell you its going to be crap they smile :mad:

Anyway I see a pretty decent spell of fine weather over the next 10 days or so, sure not all plain sailing but certainly an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

mike65 wrote: »
    Met error are crap forecasters, or maybe I should say curiously pessimistic ones, when as they tell you its going to be crap they smile :mad:

Anyway I see a pretty decent spell of fine weather over the next 10 days or so, sure not all plain sailing but certainly an improvement.
    Looks dry anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

km79 wrote: »
    Looks dry anyway!

As always the period Tuesday to Thursday will see the best weather for fear anyone might want to spend a weekend at the beach

The past 10 Sundays in Sligo have been poor weatherwise while only 4 of the past 10 Saturdays have been

Curious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

JUst looked at rain today radar as someone said its tipping it down at the TT practices in Isle of man. Theres a band heading into East Yorkshire with patches of blue, black and white, Never seen that before thats the highest density of rain on the scale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Rain in the North Sea always seems to be over-amplified on the radar for some reason so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the intensity there

Lovely day here in Galway at long last, windy but still managed a max of 20.1C which is easily the warmest day of the year so far. Nice if it could last until the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Harps wrote: »
    Rain in the North Sea always seems to be over-amplified on the radar for some reason so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the intensity there

Lovely day here in Galway at long last, windy but still managed a max of 20.1C which is easily the warmest day of the year so far. Nice if it could last until the weekend

19.7c in Sligo town

That's it till next week for us though most of tomorrow will hold dry here south and east will see 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 13,165 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You can always tell when the Junior and Leaving Cert exams are imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

We may just get one more day of this in the west, but looking at charts and satellite the Atlantic is ganging up. It'll probably be 10-12c drizzle and muck for the bank holiday, same as last bank holiday, which gave us all cabin fever!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

From Met. Looks promising for the second half.
    On Saturday, cloud and outbreaks of rain will spread from the Northwest becoming light and patchy as it spreads Southeastwards over the country during the day. Mainly dry weather with sunny spells will follow to the Northwest in the afternoon and perhaps to other parts in the evening. It will be rather cool with highest temperatures 13 to 16 degrees, warmest in the South and Southeast in a moderate Northwesterly breeze.

Sunday looks like it will become warmer with light Southwest winds developing. Southern parts should stay dry with sunny spells though Northern areas will probably be cloudier with some drizzle occasionally. Temperatures will rise to the mid to high teens generally.

Bank holiday Monday looks warm as well with temperatures between 17 and 20 degrees and very little wind. Weatherwise, apart from a little drizzle in places, it will be dry with sunny breaks mixed in with cloudier periods.

Tuesday and Wednesday of next week look warm and mostly dry days with sunny spells and top temperatures of 18 to 21 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I like the way Britain has been covered in cloud for the past two days. It's about time we got some good fortune weather wise.

2mheuc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was just thinking tpo myself earlier that how odd it was for Ireland to be in the clear skies while the UK is under out usualy cloudy muck.
    Haha UK

2008.jpeg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

flazio wrote: »
    You can always tell when the Junior and Leaving Cert exams are imminent.

It wasn't like this last year 2012

Supercell wrote: »
    Was just thinking tpo myself earlier that how odd it was for Ireland to be in the clear skies while the UK is under out usualy cloudy muck.
    Haha UK

2008.jpeg

You could include France, Germany, Austria and general area who have been mostly under the muck for many weeks now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

cloudy enough today

Joe Public wrote: »
    You could include France, Germany, Austria and general area who have been mostly under the muck for many weeks now.

Which is good news for our summer if it persists. Low pressure to the south, high pressure to the north equals win for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

What a day! Temp already above 17 C. :)

It wasn't like this last year 2012

Yeah it was. In fact, it was warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Out in the shorts today! Tis lovely! :D

• Advertisement

Windy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Out of the wind its very nice indeed!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Stunning day here. 20.1c atm.

Dublin AP reporting 19c atm.

Just did a quick tour around some of Europe's capitals. At the moment:

London 13c
    Paris 14c
    Madrid 18c
    Rome 17c
    Lisbon 17c
    Brussells 12c
    Prague 10c

Yeah it was. In fact, it was warmer.

We had a good day or two around this time last year and then we hit June and it was all over except for brief breaks from the cloud and rain.
    Max was 19.3C in Casement on 30/05/2012 which is much the same as today.

We had a good day or two around this time last year and then we hit June and it was all over except for brief breaks from the cloud and rain.
    Max was 19.3C in Casement on 30/05/2012 which is much the same as today.

We had about a full week at the end of May, then it was shite until early September. I got sunburned twice during the May heatwave and I remember having to stay indoors and miss out on a few days worth of rare blue skies.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2012-May.pdf

There's a summary of May.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I am hoping/thinking this year may be different. With no major heat in Europe so far this year...no European Monsoon.

It's the European Monsoon that has knackered us the last few years. Nice enough Springs and then get to June and the rains start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

My favourite summer weather is warm/humid and thundery - say 23/24 degrees, sunny with afternoon convection. Makes the plants and trees grow like they're on steroids

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Ran the Cold Air Conditioning in the car for the first time this year. I run it alot for to keep the car windows mist free on the warm setting but today was the first time I actually needed cold air within the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

MT's increasingly optimistic posts in his forecast thread are causing ever more giddy thoughts............

homer-simpson-beer-shower.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

these last couple of days have been an absolute delight :D was down in ardmore today and no need for a jacket. love it!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement