Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People's reactions to you vaping?

Options
  • 29-05-2013 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been done before!
    How have the people in your life reacted to you vaping?

Everyone has been quite positive to me. I have converted 2 friends to vaping :) strangers can be quite odd about it but I don't do it in public unless I've had a drink or the place is pretty deserted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Initially most people I know were all "Ach, that stuff is as bad, you either give up or not, will power ... yada yada .." But I've since educated them, and have also converted a few smokers over the past few months to vaping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I get the following:
    Whats that? Smells lovely!
    or
    Whats that? Smells funky!

Pretty much all positive, but primarily curious. Is it a pipe? Is there nicotine in it? etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

"But what's the point if you're still addicted to nicotine?"

"But you'll still get cancer."

Then when they try mine

tumblr_m1ciihIbKB1qmoxx7.gif

Fellas are much more receptive to it, especially guys out clubbing or at festivals (generic pubs not so much), I've pushed a few of them towards the KangerTwist sets and they seem chuffed at the prospect.
    Not sure why girls are more apprehensive - apart from a couple of my friends they sure act wanky about them, trotting out the "still addicted" line even while sparking a fag and throwing odd looks at the vapour.
    Bell. Ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

I get "Are you still on those yokes" and "how long more do you have to stay on them" alot, usually off smokers!
    When I give them a 'go' on one they usually end up almost coughing up a lung and saying "jesus, I wasnt expecting that". I also get "but your still addicted" or "nicotine is cancerous" a bit, which usually ends up in a drunken debate.
    Most people are positive about them though, atleast to my face anyhow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

someone who laughed at me for ''still being addicted to nicotine'' as she sucks away on her nicorette inhaler like her cheeks are going to implode. followed by her rather dogmatic emphasis as to how nicotine is cancerous...

''there's nicotine in your nicorette inhaler''
    ''ah but this is different than that sh*te you have in that bottle though, it's sold in a chemist not some dodgy website''
    ''have you ever actually googled nicotine or done any research on it?''
    ''no''

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

I've had really mixed reactions. Of all my friends, only one still smokes and he has been great - really encouraging me and curious about it. I think he's thinking about trying it himself now that he's seen that I managed it. And there are some others who have also been great and are just glad I'm off the fags. But probably the most common reaction I've had, from both ex-smokers and those who never smoked, is that I haven't really given up at all! The worst I think are ex-smokers who gave up some other way - though all used some sort of nicotine replacement or else champix. I know one guy who gave up smoking about four years ago and still uses nicotine chewing gum and as far as he's concerned, I still smoke! And there is absolutely no reasoning with him at all. I got fed with up it so apart from close friends and family I don't tell people about the vaping - when they notice I'm not smoking I just say I gave up and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

People who are ignorant on the subject will just be negative because they haven't a clue and there will always be those types out there. I vape everywhere indoor and out and I find recently that more and more people are saying oh that's one if those things if heard about them and then I end up having to explain it all over again ( which I don't really mind anyway) but either way I couldn't really give a **** what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

A funny one happened today when an auld one said to me 'ah your still on that puffer'

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

Initially most people I know were all "Ach, that stuff is as bad, you either give up or not, will power ... yada yada .." But I've since educated them, and have also converted a few smokers over the past few months to vaping :)

This bits bugging me, ' Ah sure he started that a few months ago and he's STILL smoking it'.

Dip****, I didn't want to give up smoking, and I didn't want to be killing myself like you are either, that's why I'm "smoking" this, did I ever point out how your house smells like an ashtray that has been used for a few months and someone pissed on? /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

I had a nice reaction today. I came across a fellow vaper today for the first time. I was sitting in the local park at lunch time having a vape when this woman sat down beside me and pulled out her own PV. I'd say she was in her late 60s, she smiled at me and said 'it's great to be off the cigarettes, isn't it?' I had to agree with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Jessiquea!

I don't really do it publicly only when I'm out in clubs and in smoking areas I remember one guy came up and was like what the hell is that?! And me friend was like oh it's horrible so I let him try and he was like ah that's unreal where did you get it? So I gave him the website and I think I converted him hopefully it took him off the fags he definitely seemed convinced anyway! Hi naybay x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I had someone freak out at me over a piece they saw on sky news, those things cause cancer! My reply? So does the fag in your hand. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jessiquea!

At least they're better than fags, like I never smoked on a daily basis but I would on a night out and now I could never go back after vaping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Ladyfriend: "OMG that tastes amazing, Why did you never let me put your thing in my mouth before!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

was.deevey wrote: »
    Ladyfriend: "OMG that tastes amazing, Why did you never let me put your thing in my mouth before!"

We're talking about Vaping here, with a 'V' :P

We're vapists, not the kind that force things into lady friend's mouths!!

Sexy offenders, not sex offenders!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

MollyZ wrote: »
    I had a nice reaction today. I came across a fellow vaper today for the first time. I was sitting in the local park at lunch time having a vape when this woman sat down beside me and pulled out her own PV. I'd say she was in her late 60s, she smiled at me and said 'it's great to be off the cigarettes, isn't it?' I had to agree with her.

So weird! Me too! I saw an older man puffing away on a tank outside Tesco's, and I was so delighted I went right over to him and started chatting. He seemed really apprehensive when I first approached, like he was a bit embarrassed, but then I told him I am "one of them" too, lol...and he relaxed. He was only off the fags three weeks but it was working for him well. I was so happy to finally meet another vaper in public :)

As for people's reactions.....well, family n friends think I am a nut as I was off smokes for years and years before starting back on them last year, but they do get a laugh now that I am vaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

We get quite a lot of comments (that's me and my husband) when we vape in our local pub (who are happily displaying a 'Vaping Welcome Here' sticker, from Vaperus). All benign, so far. Regulars usually say 'so ye're still on the pipe then?', or ask us which flavours we're using today. They show interest in my variously decorated egos, too (I like to match them to what I'm wearing, if possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

My mam calls it a crack pipe. Asked her how she would know what a crack pipe looks like :eek: and she's only seen my 510's and eGo Mini's...wait 'til I get the Provari and Sigelei with a Protank on top, Mother!

Besides co-workers who are well used to my various devices by now, recently while outside a pub, my ever-so-shiny silver eGo 900mah caught the collective eyes of a large crowd of adults and kids queing at the Everyman. The smokers among them seemed slightly embarrassed to be smoking (hiding lit cigs as low down as possible, not exhaling the smoke etc) - I had many 'I'd like to ask you about that' looks.
    A little boy who sat behind me commented out loud what a nice smell there was (that would either be my V&R Flowerbomb :) or my Italian Cappuccino) and a couple of free-loving, whole-face-kissing hippy types threw a few inquisitive (and I think admirable) looks at said hand-held shiny device.
    I left however, before they asked me to join them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

I get the 'crack pipe' comment too... must be more people using that than I had thought :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I get the crack pipe comment too, but that's usually when I'm so stoned off my face I realise I'm using my crack pipe out in public in broad daylight instead of my e-cig. Oops! Hey we've all been there.. right... right?!

• Advertisement

StickyIcky wrote: »
    I get the crack pipe comment too, but that's usually when I'm so stoned off my face I realise I'm using my crack pipe out in public in broad daylight instead of my e-cig. Oops! Hey we've all been there.. right... right?!

ummm....riiiight :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Thank fcuk. Thought it was just me, like... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Do what I do, take the guts out of an ego and stick your crack pipe inside it, then you can smoke crack anywhere, in pubs, at mass, etc. and nobody can say a word to you. Next thing the EU will probably make it illegal to smoke crack in public, gob****es. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

Most are inquisitive, usually get the "but you're still smoking" comment but i usually reply that i'm not inhaling tar or 1001 other carcinogens or chemicals. They usually shut up and continue puffing on their cig haha.

Managed to convert my best friend and mother. Mum keeps choking on hers, its kinda hard to explain to her that you don't inhale it like a cigarette. Best friend is doing fine and loves her Cheesecake flavour :p Can't wait until she orders some Wingnuts! She'll be mindblown!

Four other people in work have quit using ecig since I started. In total we worked out that between us we'd smoked for 90 years.

That's a crapload of fags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I actually sell electronic cigarettes (not ones that would be highly rated here, but not quite as bad as Smoke Green :pac: ), so I'm encouraged by the boss to use mine while I'm in work. I use a 0% nicotine one in work, because I'm not going to stand there inhaling copious amounts of nicotine all day.

Reactions I get range from 'You're still smoking, you're still addicted' (no love, I'm using one with nothing but food flavourings and propelyne glycol in it, actually), 'you're not REALLY off the smokes, are you? You're just doing that 'cause you work here' (I gave up smokes BEFORE I started my job!), 'sure at least smokes are regulated, those things aren't, they were pulled from the chemist, I don't trust them,' to the nice reaction of 'Oh, do you have any I can try?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

My husband's boss and work colleagues are still amazed that he is off the fags (we both are on the Ecig). They refer to it as the Peace Pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

Most are inquisitive, usually get the "but you're still smoking" comment but i usually reply that i'm not inhaling tar or 1001 other carcinogens or chemicals. They usually shut up and continue puffing on their cig haha.

Managed to convert my best friend and mother. Mum keeps choking on hers, its kinda hard to explain to her that you don't inhale it like a cigarette. Best friend is doing fine and loves her Cheesecake flavour :p Can't wait until she orders some Wingnuts! She'll be mindblown!

HUH? - what am i doing with it then>?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

dball wrote: »
    HUH? - what am i doing with it then>?
    When i first asked here, i mentioned i like smoke in my lungs and people were saying you don't inhale it into the lungs or of course you can inhale it. Many people who smoke cigs usually just huff it straight in like a cigarette causing the user to cough. I inhale half and half, i love the slow drag into the mouth to taste the flavour :D If i inhale it like a cigarette my lungs burn :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

cool, i get it.
    im a huffer

Advertisement