Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

efibre cabs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Well Alan, the thing is, Eircom have been replacing words quite often recently when it comes to the Fibre rollout.

Eircom knows quite well when the remaining cabinets will be connected. It is pointless to install the cabinets and then do nothing with them. As nc63 pointed out, we are just looking for when we, the few remaining estates with no Fibre (even though every estate around us is connected), will be able to upgrade. I'm sure, as long time customers, it is not unreasonable to expect a date for when we can upgrade.

They also need to think about updating their information and make they put down the right numbers:

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_announces_third_quarter_results_to_31_march_2013/

"The network is already available to more than 325,000 homes and businesses throughout the country"

http://www.nextgenerationaccess.ie/ > Coverage Map

"We're already able to offer Next Generation Access to 250,000 homes and businesses and are working to extend this to over 1.2 million properties by 2015."

I'm confused on that one.  Are the heads of this company even sure of home people are connected yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Fibre Enabled Estates
    Newtownstalaban
    Water Under
    Rose Hall
    Beaulieu
    Townrath
    Lavin Park
    Killineer
    Monasterboice

Where are these "estates" you're speaking of in Townrath or Monasterboice?

Calling these rural areas (and Lavin Park was in the middle of a rural area, at least 2 km and possibly 3km from the cabinet that serves it if my suspicions are correct) "Fibre enabled estates" doesn't change that pretty much no phone line in those areas will ever receive eFibre even if the cabinets on the edge of Drogheda are enabled.

This is exactly the reason why eircom were stupid in talking about enabling exchange areas when they know full well that it doesn't matter if areas are too far away from the cabinet anyway. And the Drogheda Area HQ Exchange is marked as not being enabled yet even though every one of the cabinets in its area that I've seen have had the VDSL cab installed alongside by now.

I guess eircom can do what they like with their own investments but it's not only disingenuous, it's misleading to say they "cover" over 300,000 lines when many of the lines served are too far away to ever, ever receive VDSL2. That is something that ComReg's bureaucracy did not have a bearing on and eircom have themselves to blame by installing VDSL cabs in stupid places rather than moving them to where the people lived, in the case of Tullyallen and Lavin Park.

I'm sure the lads from Huawei working near Heuston Station were paid well for their rollout consultation and engineering decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

This will be a long post.

After some research I have listed below pretty much EVERY estate connected to the Drogheda exchange. Hopefully this list will prompt some action from Eircom.

Fibre Enabled Estates:
    The Highlands
    River Court
    Rathmullan
    St Finians
    Ballsgrove
    Lagavooren
    Marian
    Cherrybrook
    Highfield
    Bryanstown
    Old Mill
    St Marys
    Wheaton Hall
    Roschoill
    Yellow Batter
    Newfield
    Greenhills
    Cord Road (Pretty much every road in Drogheda Town will be connected to Fibre)
    Moneymore
    Aston Village
    Greenbatter
    Termon Abbey
    Newfoundwell Road
    Newtownstalaban
    The Twenties
    Liscorrie
    Ashfield
    Upper Mell
    Water Under
    Rose Hall
    Beaulieu
    Townrath
    Lavin Park
    Killineer
    Monasterboice

Waiting For Fibre:
    Stameen
    Five Oaks
    Clarkestown
    Belichburn
    The Feckins

Now, there are Fibre enabled estates listed there that are further out from Drogheda Town Centre than Stameen and Five Oaks. Roschoill is right next door to Stameen. So why would they get that far then stop? The only 2 estates after Roschoill are Stameen and Five Oaks.

Can an Eircom rep explain the list and give a DEFINITIVE date for when the last 5 estates will be Fibre enabled?
    Any pointers on how to carry out the same research for the douglas exchange ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

gordonnet wrote: »
    Any pointers on how to carry out the same research for the douglas exchange ?
    Well I opened google maps and searched for every estate near me (Coach Hill) and they are ALL there except the one I live in...feck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

gordonnet, pretty much as ludo said. I used the coverage map on Eircom site (I know I know), and basically zoomed right in and in another window used the fibre address checker on every estate. There are some areas in that enabled list that have no hope in hell of ever getting normal broadband, let alone Fibre, and yet they appear in the poxy address checker, whereas my estate, which has a sparkly new cab at the entrance, can't. And I can't even get a straight answer from Eircom as to wether or not the estate will actually get it. It seems like it will, but they will neither confirm or deny even this bit of info, let alone a poxy time frame.

• Advertisement

Update: Two vans (1 confirmed Eircom van, 1 possible KN van) down at Stameen cabs. Both boxes open. Work tables out.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

Update: Two vans (1 confirmed Eircom van, 1 possible KN van) down at Stameen cabs. Both boxes open. Work tables out.
    the future takes another lurch
    forward

Im sure they'll have forgotten something important though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Im sure they'll have forgotten something important though.
    They'll probably realise that they are at the wrong cabinet. :s

red_bairn wrote: »
    They'll probably realise that they are at the wrong cabinet. :s
    talked to guy at cab does not know if it feeds five oaks thinks we should have our own cab (the invisible one) took my number said he will check it out and ring me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

ferpur wrote: »
    right first time

Unfortunately, yes. ESB. We would all need to get our eyes tested if this was a vDSL cabinet and we'd missed it ;-)

If we are not on the Stameen Cab, the only other visible one it could be is the Beaubec one as this is also not commissioned yet (at least the addresses are not showing up bar 1 for Beaubec). After this we are screwed as it may mean they need to build a whole new Cabinet from scratch and run fibre back to the exchange.

Beaubec is interesting though as half the estate is actually in Meath. I highly doubt though that the whole estate is not on the Drogheda exchange.

Beaubec is interesting though as half the estate is actually in Meath. I highly doubt though that the whole estate is not on the Drogheda exchange.
    beaubec cab would mean that only houses at the very front of five oaks would fall under less then 1k

ferpur wrote: »
    beaubec cab would mean that only houses at the very front of five oaks would fall under less then 1k

I used google maps to run a line from the Beaubec cab to my house in the village and it was around 500 metres. Anyone at the back of the estate would be in trouble though. Same goes for the Stameen cab as anyone at the back of the estate would be struggling to be within the 1KM length.

LFCFan wrote: »
    I used google maps to run a line from the Beaubec cab to my house in the village and it was around 500 metres. Anyone at the back of the estate would be in trouble though. Same goes for the Stameen cab as anyone at the back of the estate would be struggling to be within the 1KM length.
    phone lines tend to follow roads rather then direct lines

Just checked on MapMyRun. Furthest distance in Stameen to Stameen cab is roughly 600m as the road drives.
    From Beaubec cab to Five Oaks Village is a little over 800m.
    I'm roughly 360m from Stameen cab.

500 metres from Cab to start of Five Oaks village according to this

http://db.tt/oms2wlS0

beaubec_to_fiveoaks.JPG

But of course that is purely speculative as the actual path/line could be longer/shorter. We just have to hope we are on the Stameen cab

LFCFan wrote: »
    500 metres from Cab to start of Five Oaks village according to this

http://db.tt/oms2wlS0
    I did a run in the car stameen cab to my door 550m

• Advertisement

You never know, maybe Five Oaks will be a good option for FTTH and Eircom are about to start bringing lovely fibre to our door :)

Whatever the guys where doing on the cabs yesterday, no sign of them today so far. No ID sticker on door either so not commissioned yet. :(

Whatever the guys where doing on the cabs yesterday, no sign of them today so far. No ID sticker on door either so not commissioned yet.
    I was on to Vodafone earlier and they told me Five Oaks would be able to get Fibre from the 21st June. According to him it was on the system as the live date for the estate. If we are on the Stameen Cab it would presumably mean that Stameen would be able to get Fibre from then too but who knows anymore who's telling the truth or if they even know anything at all.

Just off the phone with Eircom. Current Broadband very unstable recently. Got passed over to the eFibre team. Now, could not give me any concrete details, but had a time frame of a couple months?? Seems phase 2 is starting in July and hopefully we'd be in that phase. Very irritating all this different information.

Just off the phone with Eircom. Current Broadband very unstable recently. Got passed over to the eFibre team. Now, could not give me any concrete details, but had a time frame of a couple months?? Seems phase 2 is starting in July and hopefully we'd be in that phase. Very irritating all this different information.

I am at the stage now where I believe nothing from any provider. If only UPC was in Drogheda

sorry I need clarification from eircom on this ether there map is wrong or we are in a now available now section of the country which is it?

UPC would have gotten my money long ago, for Fibre anyway, if they where a viable option.

Eircom really should get every cab/estate serviced by a phase 1 exchange commissioned before they start the next phase. It really is a farce. They answer questions without actualy providing an answer. I wonder if this sort of dis/mis/lack of information would be covered by comreg?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nc63

UPC would have gotten my money long ago, for Fibre anyway, if they where a viable option.

Eircom really should get every cab/estate serviced by a phase 1 exchange commissioned before they start the next phase. It really is a farce. They answer questions without actualy providing an answer. I wonder if this sort of dis/mis/lack of information would be covered by comreg?
    Unfortunately, Comreg are toothless, so could do little about the lack of information forthcoming from Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

nc63 wrote: »
    It is not too much to ask. The company leafleted houses and had politicians trumpeting that e-fibre would be available on May 20th. It wasn't. Asking when it will be available is certainly not too much to ask. If Eircom were not already half a decade or more late to the party when it comes to FTTC, then you might have a point.
    e-fibre was available on May 20th.  What party, and there the only party that has FTTC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nc63

axle108 wrote: »
    e-fibre was available on May 20th. What party, and there the only party that has FTTC.
    E-Fibre was announced as available on May 20th. I'm in an area that is supposedly "live" for E-Fibre and as of June 9th, I still can't avail of it. Its more like E-Fibber than E-Fibre.

FTTH (not just FTTC) has been available in many countries for a decade or more. I had FTTH with a symmetric service (40MB up and down), inland calls and TV to my home in a town in Italy about 70km north of Rome over a decade ago, all for €29.95 a month. So lets just say the party is the widespread adoption of fibre-based connectivity, and yes, Eircom are late to it. By the way, its "they're", not "there".

Advertisement