Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

efibre cabs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Update: Eircom van at Stameen around half 5. Fibre cab was open. Looked like everything was there. There was defo power going in to it as there were a few green lights shining away. Not sure if the identifier sticker has been put on as of yet. But another lurch towards availability.

Could be that date of June 21 according to Vodafone could be accurate? Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

nc63 wrote: »
    E-Fibre was announced as available on May 20th. I'm in an area that is supposedly "live" for E-Fibre and as of June 9th, I still can't avail of it. Its more like E-Fibber than E-Fibre.

FTTH (not just FTTC) has been available in many countries for a decade or more. I had FTTH with a symmetric service (40MB up and down), inland calls and TV to my home in a town in Italy about 70km north of Rome over a decade ago, all for €29.95 a month. So lets just say the party is the widespread adoption of fibre-based connectivity, and yes, Eircom are late to it. By the way, its "they're", not "there".
    Hi nc63

Have you checked your address with our efibre team on 1800 503 303 (option 1)?

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dezb101

Im in Castlewood: It looks like we are on the  Beaubec cab. I know this as I had an eircom engineer out as MY bb keeps going down. He checked the cab and although all the rails are in none of them are populated yet so no work has been done on this cab yet. From this cab to my house in castlewood is 800m although Roschoill is 100m closer!! Eircom told me they were unable to tell me when the estate would be updated. There were Keddington engineers working on the Roschoill boxes over the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nc63

Hi nc63

Have you checked your address with our efibre team on 1800 503 303 (option 1)?

Thanks, Mark
    Yes, many times (including today), and I received the usual "your line is not capable". Asking when I can expect the cabinet to which my line would be connected will be commissioned resulted in the usual non-response.

Please pass on to your incompetent management that you do not announce a product to be available until it is generally available. If you advertise that e-fibre will be available to the town of Drogheda on May 20th, then people can reasonably expect that it will either be available to them on that date or not at all. Imagine the damage it would do to Ford if they announced a car as available on a certain date when they hadn't even fired up their production lines to start making it when that date arrived. That's what Eircom have done with this e-fibre e-fibber launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 al.copper

Yes, many times (including today), and I received the usual "your line is not capable". Asking when I can expect the cabinet to which my line would be connected will be commissioned resulted in the usual non-response.

Please pass on to your incompetent management that you do not announce a product to be available until it is generally available. If you advertise that e-fibre will be available to the town of Drogheda on May 20th, then people can reasonably expect that it will either be available to them on that date or not at all. Imagine the damage it would do to Ford if they announced a car as available on a certain date when they hadn't even fired up their production lines to start making it when that date arrived. That's what Eircom have done with this e-fibre e-fibber launch.
    I am living in Meadow View an estate in Drogheda only 15 minutes walk from the Drogheda town centre.  
    I expected that Eircom would install efibre in meadow view as it's in Drogheda Co. Louth and not even in the Meath area of Drogheda. 
    Yet, I was told that I am in on the Donore MEATH exchange? and the worst bit is it won't be on the Donore exchange until December 2014?
    I am really annoyed about this especially that I have to wait a year and a half for decent speeds, when clearly I should be in the Drogheda exchange and using efibre now!  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

I live beside the main Eircom exchange in the middle of the town and can't even get it :)
    E-fibber- that's very true!

Update: Apparantly I am now in a live area. WOOHOO. In work at moment so cant be on hold for ages with them.

I was told that if you have Windows Vista, you would need to upgrade it to Windows 7. It'll work fine on PS3/XBox/iPhone/iPad

Update: Apparantly I am now in a live area. WOOHOO. In work at moment so cant be on hold for ages with them.

I was told that if you have Windows Vista, you would need to upgrade it to Windows 7. It'll work fine on PS3/XBox/iPhone/iPad
    Sorry, but that is utter nonsense. Windows Vista will work, as will Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 9x and Linux as well any other device that uses the TCP/IP protocols.

Im sure it will. Just passing on the info i got, nonsense as it is

Im sure it will. Just passing on the info i got, nonsense as it is
    I wasn't suggesting for a moment that you didn't know it will. It just surprises me that Eircom would hire someone with such an (apparent) level of ignorance.

• Advertisement

Oh i know you weren't :D . Every company has one of those types. It's just unfortunate they gave him a phone so he could talk to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Sorry, but that is utter nonsense. Windows Vista will work, as will Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 9x and Linux as well any other device that uses the TCP/IP protocols.
    Well, let's look at it from a slightly different POV. Wired, anything should work for the reason you give.

Wireless, let's not be so hasty - I'm assuming that the modem/router is coming configured to use WPA2 level of security and not everything supports that, but its more usually the hardware that has limitations than the OS but unfortunately they sometimes get lumped together. Case in point - I have a lovely Win7 machine at home with a wireless adapter in it that will not do WPA2, only WPA - so I had to scale back my security to suit. (I also have a device that will only do WEP but that is now left to rot in a corner)

Codpeas wrote: »
    Well, let's look at it from a slightly different POV. Wired, anything should work for the reason you give.

Wireless, let's not be so hasty - I'm assuming that the modem/router is coming configured to use WPA2 level of security and not everything supports that, but its more usually the hardware that has limitations than the OS but unfortunately they sometimes get lumped together. Case in point - I have a lovely Win7 machine at home with a wireless adapter in it that will not do WPA2, only WPA - so I had to scale back my security to suit. (I also have a device that will only do WEP but that is now left to rot in a corner)
    The routers all have multiple wired ports, so as you say, anything wired will work. Before I moved to all-wired (with the exception of tablets). I had XP machines running wireless cards on WPA2. Those same adapters work on Win7. On the other hand I've seen people using Win8 with wireless adapters that can't do WPA2. So it isn't possible to generalise about wireless capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

So it isn't possible to generalise about wireless capabilities.
    Agreed. This type of generalization usually comes from someone having a little bit of information that they don't truly understand and then taking out the big paint brush and applying the same horrible colour to everything...

Advertisement