Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surface RT + Free Touch Cover

• 29-05-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Looks like MS is running an offer on a Surface RT.

Buy the surface and get a free touch cover with it, pretty good considering touch cover costs 120 quid, and having a surface without one is pointless.

When I clicked on buy it offered me to go to buy it, in PC World, though not sure weather they do the same offer or is it MS On-line store only. Though your better of getting the 64GB version of the surface. 32GB (About 18-20 Available) wont get you far on a PC like device.

255935.PNG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I don't understand why the red touch cover is not available outside North America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

AngryLips wrote: »
    I don't understand why the red touch cover is not available outside North America.

I blame the Russians.......

Damn you op...must resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Was down in pc world. They have the free touch cover offer too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Makes me think there might be a replacement / update to the surface rt in the next month or so, any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Well it makes sense, Windows 8.1 is due out in the summer plus Intel's new more power-efficient chipset is being launched next week ...this, along with wanting to capture the back-to-school market would make it a good time to refresh the Surface.

• Advertisement

AngryLips wrote: »
    Well it makes sense, Windows 8.1 is due out in the summer plus Intel's new more power-efficient chipset is being launched next week ...this, along with wanting to capture the back-to-school market would make it a good time to refresh the Surface.

I don't think New one it's launching till September earliest. Windows 8.1 will be a beta over the summer and some of autumn so up till that's in a beta New surface won't ship. Remember the retarded launch delay here , you'll be looking at early January or Feb launch of the new surface here, unless they get their distribution act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Just took delivery of the Surface RT 32GB device and the free touch cover.

After about 30 mins setting up; adding my 2 microsoft accounts installing updates and setting up the device (automatically picked up my HP officejet printer); I can only say its a brilliant piece of kit. I also recommend anyone watch a quick youtube video on basic usability. I think its ideal for students who like the flexibility of a tablet with the power of microsoft office for projects. Save it all to skydrive and your sorted.

Good video (apart for grating US accent) on usability:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s-pvSkejOs&feature=player_embedded

The free keyboard offer sold if to me plus the fact that they are releasing a version of outlook 2013 for the RT. And windows 8.1 is on the way.

Its now a better option for productivity and fun than an iPad.

It always have been a better productivity machine.

I'd buy one on the spot if I was still in college. Not much need for it now :) Smartphone does for most of my needs now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Very tempting, but i don't need one! Really want to try out surface but i have iPad4 and i need a new laptop.

I really should find out how good it is at playing downloaded movies from *ahem* questionable sources?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

TBi wrote: »
    downloaded movies from *ahem* questionable sources?

Judging on what happened yesterday, those sources will dry up fairly soon

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Judging on what happened yesterday, those sources will dry up fairly soon

Why what did I miss? VLC is still being developed for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

High Court decision favouring the Irish arm of the major record labels forcing UPC, Vodafone et al. to block all variants of PirateBay.

I didn't mean the players themselves, just the sources of dubious shared media

PaulieC wrote: »
    High Court decision favouring the Irish arm of the major record labels forcing UPC, Vodafone et al. to block all variants of PirateBay.

Sucks... but don't use piratebay. It's a kind of virtual whack a mole though, for every one they shut down, two will open up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

TBi wrote: »
    Very tempting, but i don't need one! Really want to try out surface but i have iPad4 and i need a new laptop.

I really should find out how good it is at playing downloaded movies from *ahem* questionable sources?

I don't know if you use Plex, its a server / client type setup for your media and works great for movies of all formats, photos, tv, and music. Keeps everything synced across all devices. But most importantly it has a great win8 app that is a pleasure to use on rt. Any codecs that are not natively supported are transcoded on the fly by the plex software. I swear by it for all my archived media! (seriously I have spent years ripping all of my movies and tv shows from DVD to avi or mp4)

I use XBMC. Tried plex before but didn't like it much, might have a look again.

Advertisement