Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Returned - Channel 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen these teaser ads which Channel 4 and E4 have been running for the past week for a new zombie series/film that they are revealing tonight at 10:15pm?

It's caught my eye and I'm looking forward to seeing what it is.

Official website

Yes, Les Revenants french Zombie show with a score from Mogwai - retitled as "Rebound", looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Yeah, looks interesting. Hopefully if it's a success we will see more good foreign language programs on TV, this may be a starting point to get people used to subbed shows who otherwise wouldn't watch them. I know that BBC4 show a fair few (mainly crime dramas) but not many other stations do. If a show is quality then it should be shown regardless of subtitles or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

It's to be called 'The Returned' over here, here's Channel 4's page on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NathanDJ

Is this on tonight?? Ive just checked the listings for tv tonight on channel 4 and e4 and theres nothing in relation to this....anyone shed some light??

NathanDJ wrote: »
    Is this on tonight?? Ive just checked the listings for tv tonight on channel 4 and e4 and theres nothing in relation to this....anyone shed some light??

It's not on tonight, just being 'revealed' at 10:15pm, presumably during an ad break on the 10 O'Clock live show.

• Advertisement

It's not on tonight, just being 'revealed' at 10:15pm, presumably during an ad break on the 10 O'Clock live show.

Ah cool! Thanks Nutzz. Seems to be a
    Massive buzz about this.

So the teaser ads Channel 4 have been running were actually for a short film GiffGaff produced to promote the series and not from the actual series itself....that was a bit of a let down!

This is the trailer for the actual series;

So the teaser ads Channel 4 have been running were actually for a short film GiffGaff produced to promote the series and not from the actual series itself....that was a bit of a let down!

I agree....all the hype and we get an advert for a mobile network. Disappointing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Its gotten rave reviews.

The first season of French drama series The Returned (aka Les Revenants) will receive its UK premiere on Channel 4 on Sunday June 9th at 9pm, it has been announced.

• Advertisement

Watched the first episode awhile back and enjoyed it. Just got to make the time to watch the full season and anyone who doesn't fancy waiting till C4 airs it can find subtitled versions in all the usual places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Starts tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Watched the first episode awhile back and enjoyed it. Just got to make the time to watch the full season and anyone who doesn't fancy waiting till C4 airs it can find subtitled versions in all the usual places.

According to the tv guide, this is French with English subtitles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I have they very good. Be something to watch in eves. Its french with english subtitles. Will just tape on sky.

Chucken wrote: »
    According to the tv guide, this is French with English subtitles.

Which is why I suggested people they get the subtitled versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Which is why I suggested people they get the subtitled versions.

Sorry, I misunderstood :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

c'est magnifique!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Not a massive fan of supernatural stuff but I found it interesting enough. Will stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I enjoyed that, I liked how they didn't really go with any obvious plot exposition dialogue, just leaving you to infer meaning from the scene.

eg.
    That Camille/Léna were twins and Camille hadn't aged, or that the meeting was for the kids' parents. No need for a big "Dealing with loss" placard in the room or anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Watched this last night. Very chilling and unnerving atmosphere.
    I'm hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

almighty1 wrote: »
    Watched this last night. Very chilling and unnerving atmosphere.
    I'm hooked.

Chilling is the right word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

Great series so far. Was worried that I wouldn't get in to it due to subtitles.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It starts well but goes to ****e about 5 episodes in. Really disappointing fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It starts well but goes to ****e about 5 episodes in. Really disappointing fare.

Thanks for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Birneybau wrote: »
    Thanks for that...

Why doesn't he/she just lock the thread and have done with it? I mean, I'm on the fence regarding this after one episode, (I didn't care for 'victor'), but let people enjoy it if they want, while they can.

And a moderator also, this is not very exemplary, is it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

They're only a user in this forum, not a mod. And he only gave his opinion on the series. You may very well enjoy the whole thing. Nothing has been spoiled for you.

humanji wrote: »
    They're only a user in this forum, not a mod. And he only gave his opinion on the series. You may very well enjoy the whole thing. Nothing has been spoiled for you.

I guess we will find that out in four sundays time, when episode 5 airs. I still consider the post to be mean-spirited.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm not sure what mean by mean spirited - that I had a negative opinion on it or that I expressed it before you've had a chance to form your own?
    I don't think I've spoiled anything in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

I'm not sure what mean by mean spirited - that I had a negative opinion on it or that I expressed it before you've had a chance to form your own?

The thread title refers to Channel 4 which has only shown one episode.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Mod Edit: Game of Thrones Spoiler

Just be glad you didnt mention
    a certain Red Wedding or you'd be beheaded here and your head then stuff back on your torso....oops

You obviously haven't read the thread. It's been reasonably appreciative so far, based on a decent opening episode. It's very unfair of you to spoil that by pinpointing exactly when the show, as you so eloquently put it, 'turns to $hite'.
    I consider that to be mean-spirited. No reflection on you or your opinions, I assure you.

Mod Edit: Game of Thrones Spoiler

Just be glad you didnt mention
    a certain Red Wedding or you'd be beheaded here and your head then stuff back on your torso....oops

That's a pretty horrible thing to do, in fairness, Richard. Surprised at you.

Anyways, started watching this and while the first episode is interesting, I can't see it holding my interest for much longer. There's also the movie version, which this is based on, that I'll probably just watch instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Watched the first episode on 4oD really liked how subtle it was and the atmosphere. Score is pretty good as well. One I'll stick with.

Very enjoyable second episode, new facts coming to light, and pieces of the puzzle emerging. Looking forward to episode three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I watched all of it over the weekend and I thought it was very good and left a lot of mysteries unexplained for the next series

• Advertisement

Another wacky episode, excellent opening too.

Had to catch up on 4od. Finding the young boy strange and the new lad on farm wondering if there is a link or the boy is culprit or he a ghost of some sort? The barman might know something? But what really happened to those that returned. Episodes are errily good!

Finished watching the series last week. It's interesting and leaves a lot open of a second season.
    However, the ending did leave me feeling a little short changed - just how they all seemed to vanish

Thats great a 2nd series! Im intrigued!

There must be a link with the power outtages, water in the dam to the returns healing, the kids drawings and the psychic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just watched the first two episodes. Thought it was great. Slow and atmospheric. Waiting on revelations all the time. Give it a year and the yanks will bring out a horrible remake of it. You heard it here first.

Heckler wrote: »
    Give it a year and the yanks will bring out a horrible remake of it. You heard it here first.

Well AbbottVision and FremantleMedia Enterprises are producing an English version but they announced it in January.
    AbbottVision and FremantleMedia Enterprises (FME) are delighted to announce they have acquired the rights to adapt the highly successful French supernatural thriller series Les Revenants for the English language.
    The English adaptation, They Came Back (working title), will be produced by AbbottVision. FME, with which AbbottVision has a first look deal, will distribute internationally.

http://abbottvision.com/abbottvision-to-produce-they-came-back/

anybody caught this series- it's showing on channel 4 at the moment. only 1 series of 8 episodes made as of yet, second series out next year. have watched them all and have found it to be one of the best series that I've seen in years. not sure how well it will go when going into a second series given the storyline but the first series is a must watch. brilliant and the whole frenchness and the scenery of the location really adds to the atmosphere... recommend to check it out.

Just caught up with C4, very enjoyable series.

Another nutty installment,
    the ending was particularly grim though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Its a weird show. I must admit to being slightly ahead (ep 7) and to be honest I'm as in the dark as I was after watching ep 5.
    They really need to start tying the loose ends up.
    Great acting in fairness.

And as for those french ladies - ohh la la !!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Really enjoying this. It looks great and I think there's some great performances.
    Am really hoping the plot starts to reveal some of the mysteries. I know there's
    another series planned for 2014, and am hoping that we don't have to wait
    that long for answers. Though if it ends up like 'Lost' with some nonsense
    about purgatory, I won't be happy.

Looking forward to next week and the final episode of this series. I have found it to be very engaging.

really enjoyed this series except for the last episode. I wonder where they will go with the story in the second series. a lot of why the first series really worked was revealing the back-story of the returned characters and their re-integration back into the town in each episode. that plotline has been done now though. Not sure where it will go from here.

Channel 4 confirmed on Friday that it had bought the rights to the second series of the subtitled French drama, which has been one of the summer's unlikely hits.
    Channel 4 said a second series would begin filming in "early 2014" with an "anticipated broadcast later in the year".

There is a possible spoiler in the Page Title link below.

• Advertisement
Advertisement