Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back my deposit

Options
  • 29-05-2013 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hi all can anyone help me ive just ended a lease and moved to a new house i was at my old house handing back keys but still no deposit there was stuff to be fixed fare enough a crack in a mirror i priced for him and a bed that was in the house was in bits and bolts all over it rocky when we moved in so i got a new bed dismantled the bed and put it in the attic hand up i should have told the landlord but i just moved in hes no saying its worth 400 euro but why would you put a bed that price in a rented propery?

Now hes nit picking on everything i was a great tenant paid rent on time and what i thought was a good relationship between us but hes had his dad there and he even moaned the dishwasher had a mark under it where the floor is also the grass wasnt long or hedges but needed a trim i had someone to do it before the inspection and it started to rain so it was left i offered money for it to be cut for him but hes still complaining he said his dad said the garden took four hours to cut the garden is the size of a small sitting room so i find it hard to believe.

my story my partner is very ill with depression in hospital and i dont know what to do i dont want him sick more so im not telling him i felt so intimidated i had kids in car for two hours while they checked every corner i need my deposit for my shopping for kids i had to borrow money yesterday as i thought id get it back is this right procedure what there doing i need some positive answers please sorry for the long post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The landlord can only deduct where they can provide a receipt/invoice for repairs/replacements, and cannot deduct for work which they carry out themselves. The mirror is on you Im afraid. Im not sure what the issue with the bed is, but if they want to replace it for €400, then the onus is on to prove that it was a €400 bed when you moved in (which by the sounds of it it wasnt). The garden is his own problem as he effectively sorted it himself.

If you think that the deductions are unfair then you need to take a case against the landlord with the PRTB. They will look at the evidence and give their ruling. Unfortunately this process can take months to resolve, but its the only legal way to sort the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

djimi wrote: »
    The landlord can only deduct where they can provide a receipt/invoice for repairs/replacements, and cannot deduct for work which they carry out themselves. The mirror is on you Im afraid. Im not sure what the issue with the bed is, but if they want to replace it for €400, then the onus is on to prove that it was a €400 bed when you moved in (which by the sounds of it it wasnt). The garden is his own problem as he effectively sorted it himself.

If you think that the deductions are unfair then you need to take a case against the landlord with the PRTB. They will look at the evidence and give their ruling. Unfortunately this process can take months to resolve, but its the only legal way to sort the issue.

Thanks for the reply i havent got anything back ive been texting emailing n all and no reply the bed was no where near the 400 he said it was on argos i went on and its not in there book or website ill get onto the prtb thanks hopefully it will be sorted soon my deposit it 950 euro noway it amounted up to that i was tidy and kept the place the same im getting the back lash beacause hes had two different tenants i remember him telling me brought him to the prtb for the same thing

Advertisement