Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newsnight tonight about Doctor Who in the 80's!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22628484

I think I've heard most of this, but I'll certainly give it a watch!

Did anyone catch this? Was meaning to check it out, but had completely skipped my mind. It would have been interesting to watch, given how much of a trainwreck that era was...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It was very short.

Little bits about the production limitations they had due to stupid BBC rules. They had an interview with Sylvester McCoy and he had a really cool dragon-headed cane.

Showed a clip of some Beeb head honcho in 2002 slating DW. :pac:

There were lots of clips, and of course Kandyman couldn't be omitted.

It made me want to watch more of it though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I watched it, nothing new sadly, McCoy did indeed have a seriously cool cane and Grade still comes across as a horrible person!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It was very short.

Little bits about the production limitations they had due to stupid BBC rules. They had an interview with Sylvester McCoy and he had a really cool dragon-headed cane.

Showed a clip of some Beeb head honcho in 2002 slating DW. :pac:

There were lots of clips, and of course Kandyman couldn't be omitted.

It made me want to watch more of it though.

I'm suspect that was probably Michael Grade; he was the man in charge of the Beeb for a portion of the 80s and had a vendetta & real hatred for Who. He got it axed the first time in the mid-80s (the 18 month 'hiatus') and again when it died completely in '89. Would be curious to know what he made/makes of the reboot, but along with Nathan-Turner, he was the biggest enemy to the show during that time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm suspect that was probably Michael Grade; he was the man in charge of the Beeb for a portion of the 80s and had a vendetta & real hatred for Who. He got it axed the first time in the mid-80s (the 18 month 'hiatus') and again when it died completely in '89. Would be curious to know what he made/makes of the reboot, but along with Nathan-Turner, he was the biggest enemy to the show during that time.

Twas him.

He was on Room 101.

Pretty unprofessional really!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't think we should really be suprised at him coming across as unprofessional, he did basically try to bury Colin Baker's career while boning his ex wife, allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There's only so much stock you can ever put in the word of a man that lambastes a series for looking cheap, yet is in full control of its budget. He flat-out held Who in contempt, and it's only in the last decade or so he's been upfront about the fact.

He's not changed his tune all too much in light of the reboot.
    In an interview in the Radio Times in 2012, Grade commented: "From clunky Daleks that couldn't go up and down stairs to the filmic qualities today of Doctor Who, it's a transformation. The show still leaves me cold, but I admire it, which I never did before."

Advertisement