Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exact process to leave eircom for sky with no cancellation charge and no service loss

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Mylow wrote: »
    "eircom now require a 30 day notification to cancel the broadband service and phone service. We require customers to contact our service team on 1800 242 633 or 1901. Who will take a record of the call and then transfer you to the cancellation department.

eircom cancellations will take a record of your intention to cease and give the e-mail address or postal address to send the written request. They will follow up 30 days later to insure the cancellation order has been processed assuming eircom have received a letter or e-mail 30 days after receipt."

Why not just email them? Save on cost of registered post, or send hard copy of email in the post...belt and braces.

Hi Mylow

I know this process seems a little complicated but this way there should be two records of the customers call to cancel the account as well as the e-mail or letter they subsequently send in. Also the customer may need to be advised of any possible contract cancellation charges.

Also if the customer has any disputes on any possible contract cancellation fees, there is the call with cancellations to verify the information given.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Hi Mark,

Any update on this? You have had my letter since the 4th now.

Hi Mark,

Have you had a chance to check this? At least 13 days of the 30 have now elapsed and I still have not received any confirmation of my letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Extremely poor service......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Reading this thread wouldn't encourage anyone to sign up to eircom. Terrible service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi Drift,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you.

I can confirm that the letter has been received the 4/06 so the broadband service will be ceased the 3/07 and the line will be ceased the 4/07 for you.

Can you please confirm your final billing address in PM's to me?

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

Just reading this post as I am planning on switching to Sky for price reasons. 

This thread seems to make the process overly complicated where as on the Sky website it seems a lot more straightforward.

See the following link: http://www.sky.com/ireland/switching-to-sky/broadband/#uan

Sky say it just means signing up and they look after the rest?? So is this true?

And just another note on this.. Seems crazy that your sales reps can ring me up and offer savings etc just to tie me to a new contract but according to this thread it is overly complicated to just leave even if your contract is up? Get it together Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP your services will be terminated from the 3rd/4th July but remember that these services are billed in advance for line rental and broadband so your last bill in July should not have any charges for line rental or broadband but should have any calls that were not included in your package, it should also have any credits due to you for part of the month if your bill date is different to the cancellation date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I don't understand why you need to notify Eircom at all if you are out of contract. You shouldn't even have to talk to Eircom at all. All you had to do was ring Sky or go to their website and give your details such as UAN. name & address etc and follow it from there. Sky would then do the switchover for you.

• Advertisement

Yawns wrote: »
    I don't understand why you need to notify Eircom at all if you are out of contract. You shouldn't even have to talk to Eircom at all. All you had to do was ring Sky or go to their website and give your details such as UAN. name & address etc and follow it from there. Sky would then do the switchover for you.
    Hey Yawns yeah thats what I would have thought, but this thread seems to be saying otherwise :)

Well I switched from Eircom to Vodafone a few years ago by simply going thru the Vodafone website. When out of contract with VF and away from home too much to justify BB, I cancelled. About 7 months later I re-activated the line by simply going through Sky. I haven't had to deal with Eircom in years tbh.

OP has definitely been given the run around here and Eircom have managed to get another month out of him.

Hi Drift,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you.

I can confirm that the letter has been received the 4/06 so the broadband service will be ceased the 3/07 and the line will be ceased the 4/07 for you.

Can you please confirm your final billing address in PM's to me?

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for checking it for me. There seems to have been a misreading of my letter though ...

I want to notify eircom of my intention to cease their service on some date soon after 4/07. I did not ask to be disconnected on 4/07 or have my account cancelled.

Can you please confirm that after the 4th of July I will be free to switch to another service provider without a disconnection fee but that my phone will continue to work until the date I switch, at which point I will be issued with my final bill (with no disconnection fee on it).

Thanks again.
    Drift

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I was chatting with a friend of mine who works for sky's broadband team and he said that there is no need to contact eircom provided you are out of contract. Very confused now as what to do. As far as I know my contract ended last week and I am in two minds just to switch to sky on the website or go through the process above before signing up on sky's website.

Drift wrote: »
    Hi Tracey,

Thanks for checking it for me. There seems to have been a misreading of my letter though ...

I want to notify eircom of my intention to cease their service on some date soon after 4/07. I did not ask to be disconnected on 4/07 or have my account cancelled.

Can you please confirm that after the 4th of July I will be free to switch to another service provider without a disconnection fee but that my phone will continue to work until the date I switch, at which point I will be issued with my final bill (with no disconnection fee on it).

Thanks again.
    Drift
    Hi, 

If you wish to move to another service provider you can do this as long as it falls after the 4/07. 
    You have served Eircom with the 30 day notification so are free to leave us after the 4/07 with no fee's. 
    When the other service provider moves you your account with Eircom will cease. 

Thanks 

Tracey

Hi, 

If you wish to move to another service provider you can do this as long as it falls after the 4/07. 
    You have served Eircom with the 30 day notification so are free to leave us after the 4/07 with no fee's. 
    When the other service provider moves you your account with Eircom will cease. 

Thanks 

Tracey
    Hi Tracey,

So are you saying everyone has to do this if they want to leave eircom even if not in contract? Seems a little contradictory to what is stated on the Sky website here http://www.sky.com/ireland/switching-to-sky/broadband/#uan

Is this still necessary? And it seems a bit unfair that your sales reps can call a person and sign them up to an extra 12 months over the phone there and then but as a customer we have to give 30 days to cancel even when out of contract??

Hi foghlu, 

Yes all customer are required to give a 30 day notice period regardless if they are leaving Eircom to go to another service provider or ceasing the service. 
    It is a standard requirement, unfortunately I can't comment on another service providers procedures. 

Thanks 

Tracey

Hi foghlu, 

Yes all customer are required to give a 30 day notice period regardless if they are leaving Eircom to go to another service provider or ceasing the service. 
    It is a standard requirement, unfortunately I can't comment on another service providers procedures. 

Thanks 

Tracey
    Ok thanks for the reply, I will def be moving anyway using the link on the sky website. 

Still am quite shocked though at the lack of care for customers from Eircom that they have the cheek to ring me up and try to sign me up to a new 12 month contract by offering discounts that are still more expensive than Sky and only tell me that its a new contract when I query it.

So it really is a case of try and screw your customer with new contracts and then make it as difficult to switch as possible... That's just mad...

foghlu wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the reply, I will def be moving anyway using the link on the sky website. 

Still am quite shocked though at the lack of care for customers from Eircom that they have the cheek to ring me up and try to sign me up to a new 12 month contract by offering discounts that are still more expensive than Sky and only tell me that its a new contract when I query it.

So it really is a case of try and screw your customer with new contracts and then make it as difficult to switch as possible... That's just mad...
    Ok no problem.

Sorry you feel like this. It is a standard procedure in place by majority of companies. 

Thanks

Tracey

Ok no problem.

Sorry you feel like this. It is a standard procedure in place by majority of companies. 

Thanks

Tracey
    It's the trying to sign me up to a new contract without telling me until I queried it that annoys me. And that is not standard procedure for any company!

• Advertisement

Hi foghlu, 

Thanks 

Tracey
    This is actually not true at all. If you are out of contract, you can simply switch to another provider like Sky or Vodafone by contacting them via phone or using their website. They will take care of the rest. If you do it while in contract, then Eircom can  bill for the contractual amounts as they are entitled to. If they are out of contract, then the last bill from Eircom would be for call charges etc because as stated in a previous post, all line rental is charged one month in advance.

In the OP's case, he did not have to contact Eircom at all to cancel and then move provider. He simply had to contact sky and switch over. He would have been liable to a last Eircom bill of any call charges. If you reply to this post can you also answer this question. Are Eircom still charging vat for any cancellation fees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It's the trying to sign me up to a new contract without telling me until I queried it that annoys me. And that is not standard procedure for any company!
    It is only a new contract IF the caller tells you that you are agreeing to a contract of whatever duration! If you are not told during the call that you are entering into a new contract then the contract does not exist and cant be enforced.

This is actually not true at all. If you are out of contract, you can simply switch to another provider like Sky or Vodafone by contacting them via phone or using their website. They will take care of the rest. If you do it while in contract, then Eircom can  bill for the contractual amounts as they are entitled to. If they are out of contract, then the last bill from Eircom would be for call charges etc because as stated in a previous post, all line rental is charged one month in advance.

In the OP's case, he did not have to contact Eircom at all to cancel and then move provider. He simply had to contact sky and switch over. He would have been liable to a last Eircom bill of any call charges. If you reply to this post can you also answer this question. Are Eircom still charging vat for any cancellation fees?
    Hi Yawns,

The 30 day notification / cancellation process has been in place since 2011.

Below is the official statement issued at the time.

30 Day PSTN written notice

What is happening?

When we introduced 30 days written notice for PSTN customers on March 11th 2011, Where customer wishing to cease could do so without giving us 30 days written notice. We now wish to extend 30 days written notice to Riposte 4 customers. Once a customer has been notified, they have one month in which to cease without penalty, after which 30 days written notice will apply to those customers.

When?

Starting in June, approx. 70k Riposte 4 customers’ bills will contain the following message in the Did You Know section:

We are changing our terms and conditions in relation to termination of service so that 30 days written notice will be required should you wish to cease service with us. Customers affected by this change may withdraw from existing contracts without penalty within one month of receiving this notice, after which time this requirement will be implemented. To find out more please visit www.eircom.net/changes or call 1800 245 406’.

The final customers affected should receive their bill with the notice by August 2011

Also at the time:

"eircom published in the national newspapers that we are changing the PSTN terms and conditions. We are inserting a stipulation that all ceasing customers must give us 30 days written notice. As part of Regulation 17 (which governs changes to Terms and Conditions) we have to give customers 30 days notice of this change and within those 30 days customers who wish to cancel their service can do so without any Early Cease Charges".

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AshtownGuy

I was out of contract with Eircom and just went through the SKY sign-up process online, but was still charged €40 penalty for not having advised Eircom of my intention to switch over 30 days prior.

Jesus I am so glad I left Eircom years ago. Will never go back to them. Are you still charging VAT on cancellation charges?

Hi Guys,

As per a previous thread - http://bit.ly/19XMdAC

"As is usual , all vat collected would be done on instruction of Revenue and would be passed on to them, this would ot be initiated by eircom.. The issue, as posted previously, is under investigation but as this is a revenue issue as opposed to a specifically eircom issue I do not have any further information at this time. We will definitely post what ever information becomes available as result of investigation.

We have as yet not received any communication on this. We have been advised that as soon as we do have this information we can post here. I understand that this is taking some time, but until all facts are know to us here we cannot advise further.
    I have pushed again for this information"

Tony

When we get any official clarification we will update the threads. 

Thanks, Mark

So vat is still being charged on the €40 that you require for cancellation? It's certainly not done on instruction of revenue although it is being passed on to revenue. Revenue does not require vat on cancellation of services. It's more a problem with your system that has not been rectified as of yet.

So if an Eircom customer was to switch to Sky without notifying Eircom 30 days in advance, like what your t&cs now ask for, they will get charged €40. But if VAT is charged, the customer can refuse to pay until they get an invoice from Eircom with the breakdown of charges listed, with VAT not applied as Revenue do not require it.

Would the €40 charge be waived in this instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

So vat is still being charged on the €40 that you require for cancellation? It's certainly not done on instruction of revenue although it is being passed on to revenue. Revenue does not require vat on cancellation of services. It's more a problem with your system that has not been rectified as of yet.

So if an Eircom customer was to switch to Sky without notifying Eircom 30 days in advance, like what your t&cs now ask for, they will get charged €40. But if VAT is charged, the customer can refuse to pay until they get an invoice from Eircom with the breakdown of charges listed, with VAT not applied as Revenue do not require it.

Would the €40 charge be waived in this instance?
    Hi Yawns

The most direct answer to your question isno the vat will not be waived.

We can only advise on what eircom do andwhat the procedure is.

eircom moderators on this page/forum arenot in the position to make changes to such processes or procedures or comment on the reason behind such procedures.

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shadow100

Hi,
    Just to clarify something,
    If I choose to move broadband providers from eircom and go through the cancellation procedure of 1 months notice, can I keep my broadband past that date until I'm ready to switch (with no disconnection fee) or does it have to be immediately terminated? 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Herr Khume Schuccs

Shadow100 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just to clarify something,
    If I choose to move broadband providers from eircom and go through the cancellation procedure of 1 months notice, can I keep my broadband past that date until I'm ready to switch (with no disconnection fee) or does it have to be immediately terminated? 
    Hi Shadow100,
    ComReg recently ruled against the 1 months notice (so customers incorrectly charged for this should be able to get a refund). I'm afraid the whole switching process can be a complicated mess, even if you know what to do is difficult not to incur some fine or loss of service for a time. My advice would be to check everything yourself, don't trust the information given by the providers. Search this (& other forums) for peoples experience, should help avoid the pitfalls. ComReg have recently ruled against some Eircom charges, which should help, check their site for advice also.
    Best of luck,
    HKS

Advertisement