Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exact process to leave eircom for sky with no cancellation charge and no service loss

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Shadow100 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just to clarify something,
    If I choose to move broadband providers from eircom and go through the cancellation procedure of 1 months notice, can I keep my broadband past that date until I'm ready to switch (with no disconnection fee) or does it have to be immediately terminated? 
    Hi Shadow100,
    ComReg recently ruled against the 1 months notice (so customers incorrectly charged for this should be able to get a refund). I'm afraid the whole switching process can be a complicated mess, even if you know what to do is difficult not to incur some fine or loss of service for a time. My advice would be to check everything yourself, don't trust the information given by the providers. Search this (& other forums) for peoples experience, should help avoid the pitfalls. ComReg have recently ruled against some Eircom charges, which should help, check their site for advice also.
    Best of luck,
    HKS
    Hi Herr,

Last year I was done by Eircom for a cancellation fee when out of contract after moving to Sky.
    Sky advised they would take care of everything during the switchover but I got a bill from Eircom of a 1 month penalty.

As per your info above, how can I contact Comreg to have Eircom re-imburse me for this?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

cork_south wrote: »
    Hi,
    If I choose to move broadband providers from eircom and go through the cancellation procedure of 1 months notice, can I keep my broadband past that date until I'm ready to switch (with no disconnection fee) or does it have to be immediately terminated? 
    Hi Shadow100,
    ComReg recently ruled against the 1 months notice (so customers incorrectly charged for this should be able to get a refund). I'm afraid the whole switching process can be a complicated mess, even if you know what to do is difficult not to incur some fine or loss of service for a time. My advice would be to check everything yourself, don't trust the information given by the providers. Search this (& other forums) for peoples experience, should help avoid the pitfalls. ComReg have recently ruled against some Eircom charges, which should help, check their site for advice also.
    Best of luck,
    HKS
    Hi Herr,

Last year I was done by Eircom for a cancellation fee when out of contract after moving to Sky.
    Sky advised they would take care of everything during the switchover but I got a bill from Eircom of a 1 month penalty.

As per your info above, how can I contact Comreg to have Eircom re-imburse me for this?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi cork_south
    if this was done correctly then no extra charges should be incurred. If you would like us to have this investigated for you let me know. Just PM your own details and I will chase this.

Tony

Hi,
    Hi Shadow100,
    Best of luck,
    HKS
    Hi Herr,

Thanks in advance.
    Hi cork_south
    if this was done correctly then no extra charges should be incurred. If you would like us to have this investigated for you let me know. Just PM your own details and I will chase this.

Tony
    Thx Tony, PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi,
    Hi Shadow100,
    Best of luck,
    HKS
    Hi Herr,

Thanks in advance.
    Hi cork_south

Tony
    Thx Tony, PM sent.
    Received this now Shadow100 and will look into this for you. Be back to you as soon as I can.,
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Herr Khume Schuccs

Hi,
    Hi Shadow100,
    Best of luck,
    HKS
    Hi Herr,

Thanks in advance.
    Hi cork_south,
    I had the same experience as yourself. ComReg ruled against Eircom on this (see http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/pub...omReg13114.pdf). I presume ComReg will eventually instruct Eircom to refund all customers who were charged incorrectly, would not hold my breath though, the initial decision dates back to early 2012 and it looks like companies can drag out the process for a very long time, if they so wish. Unfortunately, it would appear that in common with many other regulators/oversight bodies in the country ComReg was set up, without effective powers to do their job, mainly so that the government could pretend to the EU that we now had one of them things. You could try asking Eircom for your money back, failing that details of how to contact ComReg can be found on their website www.comreg.ie.
    In addition to incorrectly imposing this charge on myself, Eircom illegally applied VAT on top of it (despite Revenue instructing them that VAT did not apply on a cancellation charge, following a European Courts of Justice ruling, Revenue also have this information on their website  http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/vat-forfeiteddeposits-cancellationcharges.pdf) - after I disputed these charges Eircom illegally tried to take money from my bank account, luckily enough I had stopped the direct debit but Eircom then imposed another fine on me for this (see my other treads for more info) and sent me threatening letters, despite the matter being under investigation by ComReg.
    I would not consider this much better than a thug on the street demanding money with menaces, so would caution anyone to have a serious think before they become involved with a company like this if you do have a choice, at least do a search on Boards and other forums to check out other peoples experiences. I certainly would prefer to pay more for less of a service that to deal with this shower again.
    Best of luck, I hope you get your money back soon,
    HKS

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

eircom makes you give 30 days I don't know if that is legalbut that's what they do

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=385767

Hi,
    Hi Shadow100,
    Best of luck,
    HKS
    Hi Herr,

Thanks in advance.
    Hi cork_south,
    I had the same experience as yourself. ComReg ruled against Eircom on this (see http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/pub...omReg13114.pdf). I presume ComReg will eventually instruct Eircom to refund all customers who were charged incorrectly, would not hold my breath though, the initial decision dates back to early 2012 and it looks like companies can drag out the process for a very long time, if they so wish. Unfortunately, it would appear that in common with many other regulators/oversight bodies in the country ComReg was set up, without effective powers to do their job, mainly so that the government could pretend to the EU that we now had one of them things. You could try asking Eircom for your money back, failing that details of how to contact ComReg can be found on their website www.comreg.ie.
    In addition to incorrectly imposing this charge on myself, Eircom illegally applied VAT on top of it (despite Revenue instructing them that VAT did not apply on a cancellation charge, following a European Courts of Justice ruling, Revenue also have this information on their website  http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/vat-forfeiteddeposits-cancellationcharges.pdf) - after I disputed these charges Eircom illegally tried to take money from my bank account, luckily enough I had stopped the direct debit but Eircom then imposed another fine on me for this (see my other treads for more info) and sent me threatening letters, despite the matter being under investigation by ComReg.
    I would not consider this much better than a thug on the street demanding money with menaces, so would caution anyone to have a serious think before they become involved with a company like this if you do have a choice, at least do a search on Boards and other forums to check out other peoples experiences. I certainly would prefer to pay more for less of a service that to deal with this shower again.
    HKS
    Many thanks for the link and the info Herr!
    I will follow up with the Eircom guys to see if there is anyway I can get that money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭eircom: Aisling

Hi,
    Hi Shadow100,
    Best of luck,
    HKS
    Hi Herr,

Thanks in advance.
    Hi cork_south,
    HKS
    I will follow up with the Eircom guys to see if there is anyway I can get that money back.
    Hi cork_south.

I have looked into this for you and the reason you were charged this fee (one months notice in lieu) is because Sky took over your account from Eircom without giving Eircom 30 days notice prior to the switch which is in Eircom's Terms & Conditions.

As I can see you are now back with Eircom and as a good will gesture I will refund this charge as a once off for you which you will see on your next bill issued.  I would like to advise you when switching providers in the future to please be aware of this process not only with Eircom as many providers ask the same from there customers.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Ash

Hi,
    Hi Shadow100,
    Best of luck,
    HKS
    Hi Herr,

Thanks in advance.
    Hi cork_south,
    HKS
    Hi cork_south.

I have looked into this for you and the reason you were charged this fee (one months notice in lieu) is because Sky took over your account from Eircom without giving Eircom 30 days notice prior to the switch which is in Eircom's Terms & Conditions.

As I can see you are now back with Eircom and as a good will gesture I will refund this charge as a once off for you which you will see on your next bill issued.  I would like to advise you when switching providers in the future to please be aware of this process not only with Eircom as many providers ask the same from there customers.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Ash
    Hi Ash,

On the ball, thanks a lot for that.
    Much appreciated!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Herr Khume Schuccs

Hi cork_south,

Glad to hear you are getting your money back, probably quicker than waiting for ComReg to instruct them to do so.

Nice spin Ash, no mention of ComReg ruling against your 30 days notice and magnanimously giving back money that shouldn’t have been taken in the first place, hopefully you will refund all other customers who had these charges imposed incorrectly over the last few years. Considering ComReg’s ruling, is your advice on switching provider now somewhat outdated?

Sawdoubters – I was not questioning the legality of the 30 days notice, just pointing out that ComReg had ruled against it. I do question the legality of trying to take money from someones bank account after being instructed not to and the legality of imposing VAT where it does not apply (especially if Revenue and others informed them this was incorrect, just look at Revenue’s website, information relation to VAT on cancellation charges is publicly available and has been for a considerable time).

Again, it does beg the question, is this a company that you really want to deal with? HKS

• Advertisement
Advertisement