Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My C25K and beyond

• 29-05-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭

It's been a year or two since I've done any proper running so I'm starting again and working my way up through this training plan.
    I'm not overweight and still somewhat fit (I have noticed a significant drop in my endurance ability).

So I've decided the C25K is an excellent plan to bring me back up to a good level of fitness. My final goal would be to run 5k sub 20 minutes like I used to and I'd like to continue training with more advanced 5K techniques after the C25K program ends.

Last week I geared up and was ready to go. Thanks to a great app on my phone I'm able to track average speed, top speed and map my runs which is an excellent resource.

Any input or suggestions would be very welcome!

Day 1
    First run, combined running and walking.
    5 minute warm up, 1 minute running, 1.5 minutes walking with 8 runs and a 5 minute cool down at the end, pretty standard. Takes 28 minutes and 30 seconds exactly.

Distance - 3.8km
    Average speed - 8.14km/h
    Top speed - 18km/h

Day 2
    Same as day one, after a one day break.

Distance - 4.05km
    Average Speed - 8.28km/h
    Top Speed - 15.3km/h

Day 3
    Distance - 4.1km
    Average Speed - 8.75km/h
    Top Speed - 20.77km/h

After the first week I've noticed a nice trend upwards in top speed and average speed. Day 3 felt like a lot of work and at the time felt like I was doing worse than the previous two days. I may have been working myself a little harder than I should have been.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

I started week 2 today by increasing running time to 1 minute 30 seconds and walking for 2 minutes. 5 minute warmup and cooldown as usual.

Day 1

Distance 4.2km
    Avg Speed 8.1kmh
    Top speed 21kmh

My calves were hurting halfway through the run, it didn't feel like pulling so I persisted albeit at a lower speed. I'm not sure if it has something to do with my gait.

Advertisement