Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a little Wi-Fi help please

Options
  • 29-05-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got a call from a friend today, said her Aspire One netbook would not connect to the internet via wireless, but did via Ethernet cable.
    She's with Perlico and using the P600 router.

I reset the router and then got into the admin page and WIFI was disabled, so I enabled it.

My (almost identical) netbook found the network and connected via wifi and I was able to browse away.

Friends PC then found the network, said it was connected, but wouldn't open any web pages in either Chrome or IE.

I disabled the network adapter and deleted the drivers, installed new driver from the Acer website, but still no pages opening (signal was strong and wifi was connected)!!

I took the netbook back home with me to run some scans on it and guess what? It connects to my wifi without any problems!

So, my PC works on her wifi, her PC works on my wifi but not on her own.

Any thoughts please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Got it sorted in the end with a combo of updates, crap removal, reboots and ipconfig /release and renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I also have had a small wifi problem. I have a netbook running Windows XP, which I brought with me for a hotel break earlier in the week. I could not get it to bring up web pages when I connected to the hotel free wifi...well, I did get one page to load, but then it just kept timing out. I noticed another guest having a similar problem with a laptop. I had the phone, so just used that, but I am wondering what the problem might be with the netbook. Anyone got any ideas?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

vienne86 wrote: »
    I also have had a small wifi problem. I have a netbook running Windows XP, which I brought with me for a hotel break earlier in the week. I could not get it to bring up web pages when I connected to the hotel free wifi...well, I did get one page to load, but then it just kept timing out. I noticed another guest having a similar problem with a laptop. I had the phone, so just used that, but I am wondering what the problem might be with the netbook. Anyone got any ideas?

More than likely an issue with the hotels network than your device, especially as another person had the same issues. Some of these free wifi zones require a login to access the network, it is possible that XP did not support the authentication system they used however that is doubtful.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

yoyo wrote: »
    More than likely an issue with the hotels network than your device, especially as another person had the same issues. Some of these free wifi zones require a login to access the network, it is possible that XP did not support the authentication system they used however that is doubtful.

Nick

Thanks, Nick - I suspect something like this, and also suspect that the people working in the hotel won't be able to help! i'll bring the tablet next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

vienne86 wrote: »
    Thanks, Nick - I suspect something like this, and also suspect that the people working in the hotel won't be able to help! i'll bring the tablet next time!

Sorry, if its to the same hotel, then why would the tablet be any different?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

syklops wrote: »
    Sorry, if its to the same hotel, then why would the tablet be any different?

If it's a 3G one maybe :) . Buy yeah if anything a netbooks wifi will generally be better than a tablet (signal wise at least)

Nick

Advertisement