Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value electricity provider in Dublin?

Options
  • 29-05-2013 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

I live in Smithfield Market in Dublin 7. The apartment's electricity provider, since I moved in, has been Airtricity, though I find them ludicrously overpriced. Only three people live her, and our last bill - between March 23 and May 23 - was €347!

Can anyone recommend the best value electricity provider for Dublin city? I am tempted to go with Electric Ireland, but I don't know if it's the best.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/electricity/

I'd say you'd make a far better saving if you found out what was eating into the electricity. Storage heaters etc can cost a small fortune to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Being in Dublin makes no difference. Go to the sites of each supplier and look at the unit costs and standing charges. Or use a comparison site as suggested. That said your bill is large and there is not a huge difference between suppliers. How many units was it? Were previous, or this bill, estimates? What is using so many units?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You will save 10% at best by changing supplier - you need to find the source of the high power consumption also. Was either bill estimated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Being in Dublin makes no difference
    Is there not different tariffs for some rural or urban areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cast_iron wrote: »
    Is there not different tariffs for some rural or urban areas?

Urban covers any urban area not just Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I live in Smithfield Market in Dublin 7.
    Assuming that the storage heating hasn't been replaced by another form of heating, are you sure that you are using your storage heating properly?

Even if you are & you use the convector heating part of a combi-heater or the convector heaters in the bedrooms on a regular basis (especially during peak rate hours) this could account for the high electricity consumption, as would using the boost function on your immersion water heater during peak rate hours.

Advertisement