Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Debt Collectors

Options
  • 29-05-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Do you really owe them €60 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Ignore them, if you paid and have a receipt to prove it your in the clear ... if Sky choose not to accept your form of payment well that's up to Sky

You did pay them so forget about the letters etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if the agency keeps contacting you, tell them you'll be contacting the Gardai in relation to their harassment.
    your contract is/was with Sky and nobody else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Just to basically re-itterate what the others have said,
    If you've paid and have proof ie a receipt then you're fine
    Kindly inform the people whom keep ringing you that you've paid and if they don't stop you'll contact the Gards.
    I wouldn't be worrying :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

if the agency keeps contacting you, tell them you'll be contacting the Gardai in relation to their harassment.
    your contract is/was with Sky and nobody else.
    +1

You have no contract with emerald isle - your dealing is with Sky and Sky alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

darced wrote: »
    How does the post office know this?
    There's no proof of delivery with standard post so did you send the letter by Registered Post/Express Post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

You didn't owe Sky €60? Why did they send you an invoice for it so?

Just tell the debt collection agency that you paid it, and give them the receipt details. Don't mind this stuff about the gardaí and you not having a debt with a collection agency. Some companies pass balances they haven't received payment for, to collection agencies after a lengthy period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

You didn't owe Sky €60? Why did they send you an invoice for it so?

Just tell the debt collection agency that you paid it, and give them the receipt details. Don't mind this stuff about the gardaí and you not having a debt with a collection agency. Some companies pass balances they haven't received payment for, to collection agencies after a lengthy period.

Do mind this stuff about the Gardai.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0026/sec0011.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

He did tell the debt collection agency numerous time that it is paid, they say it isnt.

I would write to the collection agency saying that you have paid and you have proof and the information above about who your contract is with.

There are controls in place about the amount of times a creditor can call a customer.

OP, What did you write in the 'to pay' section postal order? Just SKY or your account number?

I take it you told Sky you were cancelling and they charged you for another 30 days as notice?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭iHappyPanda

I owed them 130E and I still do, day to day they send me warnings how they will come to my house
    well....YOLO

Yeh, so many companies are always trying to screw the little guy over by looking for money they are owed for a service they provided. The nerve of them!

Yeh, so many companies are always trying to screw the little guy over by looking for money they are owed for a service they provided. The nerve of them!

The nerve of them to use debt collectors that don't operate within the letter of the law. Are you suggesting that if you are in dispute with your mobile provider over €10 they should come over and break you legs? If not were do you draw the line. My view is you draw the line at the law on the subject.

Many of the debt collection issues in Ireland would be resolved if we had a proper credit referencing agency in this country. If you don't pay your gas bill on time it should be very difficult to sign up of luxury services like Sky in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The nerve of them to use debt collectors that don't operate within the letter of the law. Are you suggesting that if you are in dispute with your mobile provider over €10 they should come over and break you legs? If not were do you draw the line. My view is you draw the line at the law on the subject.

Many of the debt collection issues in Ireland would be resolved if we had a proper credit referencing agency in this country. If you don't pay your gas bill on time it should be very difficult to sign up of luxury services like Sky in the first place.

251256_anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

Still a better love story than twilight.

The nerve of them to use debt collectors that don't operate within the letter of the law.
    Well if that's the case, the guards and ombudsman should be alerted, but I don't think these guys aren't legit. Why would Sky risk its reputation by availing of a dodgy organisation's services? Surely it would consult its legal team first.
    The comment about getting legs broken is not relevant.

Well if that's the case, the guards and ombudsman should be alerted, but I don't think these guys aren't legit. Why would Sky risk its reputation by availing of a dodgy organisation's services? Surely it would consult its legal team first.
    The comment about getting legs broken is not relevant.

They might very well be legit, but you seemed to be recommending not involving the Gardai if they go beyond what is laid down under the NFOAP Act.

best to say debt collection in ireland is unregulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

FWIW I don't think the debt collector's actions of continually sending you texts and making phone calls would quite amount to harassment ('alarm, distress or humiliation') under S.11 of the Act.

It's also worth bearing in mind that there may well have been a clause in your original contract with Sky allowing them to pass any debt onto a collection agency, in which case the designated agency is perfectly entitled to pursue.

Have you spoken to Sky directly about the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

FWIW I don't think the debt collector's actions of continually sending you texts and making phone calls would quite amount to harassment ('alarm, distress or humiliation') on the face of it under S.11 of the Act.

It's also worth bearing in mind that there may well have been a clause in your original contract with Sky allowing them to pass any debt onto a collection agency, in which case the designated agency is perfectly entitled to pursue.

• Advertisement

Hippo wrote: »
    FWIW I don't think the debt collector's actions of continually sending you texts and making phone calls would quite amount to harassment ('alarm, distress or humiliation') under S.11 of the Act.

From what I've read constant phone calls can amount to distress. Bear in mind however the mens rea of 'calculating to cause distress' would have to be proven and there is no power of arrest. It still might get a debt collector to cop on to themselves if the local guard has a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

I got a letter from these guys this week saying I owe them €23.75, I canceled my sky 4 years ago and remember getting a similar letter then from a crowd in England, As far as I can remember I paid this already to sky and have a bank statement to proof it, As "wmpdd3" said it may be when I told Sky I was cancelling they may have charged me for another 30 days as notice? I am sure the €23.75 appears on a bank statement as been paid to sky. This is 4 years later ? What your advice on this ?

As an update to my post, I got a call from customer services before the extra 30 days were up.
    The last apologised fit the mistake and refunded me the extra 27 euro and cut of sky straight away.

It was obvious they had heard the telephone conversation where I queued the need for 42 days notice.

I was happy with that, so if this happens to you email asap and make a formal complaint.

After this amount of time you can only really argue the tis if you have proof that you gave notice in the'correct way'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056959884
    explain to them that your solicitor says the correct way of doing things it to arrange for a court date, also that he says that sky cannot under irish law take such an action, that is your story stick to it, each and every time you are contacted give them your story, please remember do not deviate from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 athboyaccount

Hi. I got similar correspondence from Emerald Isle Collections and I cancelled Sky almost 7 years ago. I never got any letters until this one from Emerald Isle. I logged onto their webpage and found this quote " The web site and the telephone numbers contained herein are controlled and operated by scotcall Limited from the UK and complies with Scottish law" now there lies the question "Scottish Law" so does this mean that it means f**k all here, who said the British sheriffs are dead. I am sorry for you paying out your €60.00 but maybe there is someone out there who can clarify this situation, it is executed under British law which means nothing here so it is time we stood up to these bullies.
    Anyway that's my rant for the day.
    Thanks and good luck, you might keep me up to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi. I got similar correspondence from Emerald Isle Collections and I cancelled Sky almost 7 years ago. I never got any letters until this one from Emerald Isle. I logged onto their webpage and found this quote " The web site and the telephone numbers contained herein are controlled and operated by scotcall Limited from the UK and complies with Scottish law" now there lies the question "Scottish Law" so does this mean that it means f**k all here, who said the British sheriffs are dead. I am sorry for you paying out your €60.00 but maybe there is someone out there who can clarify this situation, it is executed under British law which means nothing here so it is time we stood up to these bullies.
    Anyway that's my rant for the day.
    Thanks and good luck, you might keep me up to date
    as has been stated before in many threads these debt collectionpeople have no legal standing and can not do anything more than ask you to pay.

They can not affect your credit rating and have no rights to enter your home or property

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mark walsh

I was with sky for a few months & gor work in the U.S. so I had to cancel sky, they tried to stop me from canceling evensuggesting I not take the job Iin tve U.S. I went anyway obly to return to a bill of €170.65c & a call from Emerald Isle collection agency asking to pay up.
    I ignored it for a while bur after so muxh pestering I decided to pay now regreat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BigCOB

I'll do you all one better, I ordered Sky over the phone and the following day rang up to cancel the order (as I went with evision), informed them I was cancelling under their ''cooling off period'' terms. I didn't take delivery of any equipment and returned all post from them unopened. All pretty straight forward right? Well, not only did I not receive my 10euro refund I paid via card over the phone, but Friday, I received a letter from a debt collector on behalf of Sky, saying I owe them E20.97, and they were even nice enough to include a payment card which I can use in my local post office!! Counter claim I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@BigCOB Please don't bring back old threads.

Zombie thread closed

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement