Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I lost my 20% in Home ec?

• 29-05-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭

I started 5th year late and didnt get to do the project worth 20%. Now going into 6th year, the teacher told me there is no way to redo this project unless I repeat 5th year. Is there anyway I can still do the project? Or will I have to repeat 5th year?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Of course you can do your project. You might have to do it in your own time though as the teacher will not be allowing time for it during 6th year work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cbd3

Hi, i'm a HE teacher.
    Yeah u can definitely still do it. its not due until november of 6th year. Though by the sounds of things, your teacher isin'y going to help you.

I think u should do them over the summer and do them well because their so helpful for bringing you up a grade.

I got 95% in my journal and 82% in my paper and ended up with a A2.
    Hope this helps.
    If u have any questions bout journals feel free to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

A7XGirl wrote: »
    I started 5th year late and didnt get to do the project worth 20%. Now going into 6th year, the teacher told me there is no way to redo this project unless I repeat 5th year. Is there anyway I can still do the project? Or will I have to repeat 5th year?

I am also a home ec teacher and unfortunately unless the teacher "signs off" on journal it can't be submitted. The teacher must supervise you cooking the 5 dishes for your tasks and verify your write ups. I heard of someone handing in a journal with only first 3 pages of each assignment filled in (analysis/research and work plan) as they didn't cook any dishes. Even if you repeat 5th year the assignments are different as they change every year. How "late" are you talking? Have you done any of the assignments? It really should of been explained to you when you were picking your subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Millem wrote: »
    I am also a home ec teacher and unfortunately unless the teacher "signs off" on journal it can't be submitted. The teacher must supervise you cooking the 5 dishes for your tasks and verify your write ups. I heard of someone handing in a journal with only first 3 pages of each assignment filled in (analysis/research and work plan) as they didn't cook any dishes. Even if you repeat 5th year the assignments are different as they change every year. How "late" are you talking? Have you done any of the assignments? It really should of been explained to you when you were picking your subjects.

Millem is right in what she says
    It should have been explained to you and/or teacher should have agreed to complete assignments with you before you were accepted into class.
    Best thing to do is ask maybe is the teacher willing to cook the dishes with you on a big bash - eg do all 5 dishes on one day (or more realistically in 2 groups of 2+3 over 2days). You may ask if you can cook your dishes whilst she is cooking with another class - you'd have to get other teachers to allow you out of their classes and do your own thing down the back of the kitchen without interferring with the msin class if you know what i mean. its tricky but certaintly do-able.
    You may have to sweet talk teacher into this and her answer may well ðepend on how hard you worked in class thus far.
    Failing this you can of course, complete the investigation, planning and prep pages AND evaluate the specific requirements of the brief as millem suggested. The only thing you can't write up if you don't cook the dish is the implementation page and the evaluation of the implementation.
    Best of luck with it!

Advertisement