Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

robbies or luath puppy food

• 29-05-2013 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

have a new pup on the way a pointer setter cross and have been trying to research these foods as to how much i will have to feed id like to feed as natural as possible (did barf before but wife hated the carcass part)at about 50 or 35 euro how long will a bag last ish for a 10-11 week old pup.has any one used these for pups ,other recommendations also welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The idea behind Robbie's is a nice one, but in my experience, the theory doesn't bear out I'm afraid... I tried it with my own dogs, and got a few clients to try it, and although admittedly this is a small sample size, not one dog liked it! This includes dogs that are utter pigs. A friend of mine runs a large rescue, and she also found that mist dogs could take or leave it.
    So, if you're going to try it, get a small bag to start with! Alternatively, you could try a good quality dry food (I think Luath is rather pricey for what you get), and supplement it with eggs, tinned fish, or raw meat if your OH can bear it (doesn't have to be carcasses!)
    Lovely cross of breeds. Don't forget to post photos when he arrives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It's way too over priced imo considering it's riced based? Far better options out there for the same price which are cereal free and better for your dog. I had my dog on Luath for about 9 months and he developed an intolerance to it - one evening he wasn't himself and crying/unsettled - that evening he passed bloody poo and the next morning his bed was destroyed with runny bloody poo. :( Put him on exclusion diet adding everything but Luath back in until the end - one bowl and bloody poo again.

There's easier ways to do barf - you could get a box gRAW for cheaper than a bag if Luath and it's all minced so no scary carcasses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Kieron854

Thanks for the reply, just show you cant belive anybody whos trying to sell somthing, the ad would have you think its the most natural thing ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What are peoples opinion on Puria Pro Plan Puppy? I had my girl Makena on it for the first 18 months per breeders recommendations but the vet stated it was too rich for her to continue on. I'd like to get some opinion on best dry food for large breed puppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have PTSD from salmon robbies lol - when my dog was on crate rest for months that's I what I fed him in XL Kongs. €60+ a bag and a couple of weeks in I realized I would have saved a lot of money with a sack of potatoes and cans of salmon lol! :D

I know of a good few dogs who had issues with Luath btw - it wasn't just my guy. It's pretty much the same as Burns which is cheaper but my guy just didn't thrive on either like he has on barf. When we get our new pup it'll be barf all the way.

Setters are allerigic to gluten btw and can have senstive tummies so I'd be avoiding anything riced based if your planning on feeding dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Luath messed up my dog, lost loads of weight. She's on raw now and doing great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I think it's different dogs different food and experiences. Having tried lots of different foods Robbies suits our two. My retriever cross had allergies so we went to james welbeloved and ir suited her but she rarely ate, maybe once every 2-3 days. They we tried Robbies and never looked back. My jack russell cross also loves it. The vet always comments on how great their coats and how healthy they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My guys always gobbled their Robbies, both the salmon and the lamb varieties!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

can I suggest Eden Holistic dog food, I am not at all affiliated and feed my dogs raw but have used it in the past and it is a fantastic product with very good people behind it. The rep in Ireland is a animal nutritionist and will be a happy to talk to you via FB or even give you a call.

I have never used any of the foods mentioned so can not comment, but as far as I am aware they need to be soaked prior to feeding.

Advertisement