Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads in Cork City

Options
  • 29-05-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

Just a rant...

The roads in the city have deteriorated catastrophically over the last year or so. They seemed to hold up well for the first few years of the recession but some of them are now unreal. They are dangerous for cycling and are going to cost motorists a fortune in repairs. I notice they are particularly bad around Noonan Road/College Road and Donovan Road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

So what else is new? The roads north of the Lee are the absolute pits! The North Link past Ballyvolane Cross is crumbling, and as for the Ballyhooley Road? Don't get me started!!!

Mind you, they're supposed to be fixing that later in the year. In the winter, when the road will break up at the first bit of frost. :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Try driving down the road between new lights on Well Road towards Douglas...fecked up tyre today! So angry...due for NCT next week.
    Won't it all be grand when we've paid our 'property tax' to bondholders.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I am genuinely shocked at how bad the road is coming off the link by the elysian, it absolutely appalling. Worse than anything we had in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Roads all over the city are a disgrace at the moment. Doesn't seem to matter where you go, there's always a few bad patches. It's like running an obstacle course at times trying to dodge the big ones. Donovan road by UCC is a mess.

At least the South Link, between Douglas and Mahon is fixed up now, that was a disaster for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Tis rather annoying.. I drive an old car so the road tax is cheap I would be disgusted if I had to pay full whack. The route I take into work Centre park road is ok half way, then you hit all the lumps and bumps where they have filled and filled more and more, then the marina which is pot hole mania. The road up by aston is fairly shocking aswell, again from doing crappy repairs on it

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The road from Togher Garda Station towards Nemo is also bad on both sides and ya can see cars dodging the pot holes on either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Used to be a giant pothole inside the Motor Tax office car park on the Model Farm Road. The irony was sad especially if you call it road tax (I know its not road tax).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Milly33 wrote: »
    . I drive an old car so the road tax is cheap I would be disgusted if I had to pay full whack.

Hu?
    Tis the new cars have cheap motor tax.
    Those that can only afford old cars pay the most tax.
    Tax on my 11 year old car is over €700 - a new equivalent would attract motor tax of around €165.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭J Bourke

Hu?
    Tis the new cars have cheap motor tax.
    Those that can only afford old cars pay the most tax.
    Tax on my 11 year old car is over €700 - a new equivalent would attract motor tax of around €165.

Im thinking he might mean classic/vintage tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

J Bourke wrote: »

That might explain it, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

The only thing for it is everytime you see a pothole to ring the corporation, if people keep complaining they are going to get sick of it eventually.

Actually was laughing the other night at the half arsed attempt at fixing the pothole on Dennehy's cross!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Try driving down the road between new lights on Well Road towards Douglas...fecked up tyre today! So angry...due for NCT next week.
    Won't it all be grand when we've paid our 'property tax' to bondholders.........

This was caused by the construction vehicles that were entering a site there. Its been like that for at least 6-7 months. Its a bloody joke!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Milly33 wrote: »
    ... I drive an old car so the road tax is cheap...
    J Bourke wrote: »

You need to clarify this for the benefit of the resident petrolheads, watcha drivin' Milly33??

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The road from Togher Garda Station towards Nemo is also bad on both sides and ya can see cars dodging the pot holes on either side.

Do you mean St. Finbarr's or have Nemo relocated? Genuine question, not living in the city anymore and I remember that stretch of road is a bit of a slalom to avoid the worst of it.

Also the section of road by the lights at the glasheen rd end of the clashduv rd has gotten quite bad in the last few months as well as a few other stretches before the newly resurfaced part.

Good to see the potholes on the south ring road after the Bloomfield interchange on-ramp have been repaired, they were annoying to try and navigate around whilst staying in lane!

Another minor grumble - the fairly new paving on Patrick street is starting to break up a bit between the statue and merchants quay. Also the raised, paved pedestrian crossings going up Shandon St have subsided and broken up quite badly.

Advertisement