Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant letters

Options
  • 29-05-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Got my grant letters yesterday for my renewal. My present licence's expire the end of this month. Just wondering will my grant letters be sufficient till i gather the money to pay them? (week 2) As some will know there's a good bit of finding in 220 euro these days. Any help welcome. Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Your grant letters are valid for 30 days from date of issue. They can be extended in certain circumstances just ring your FO a week before they are due to expire and tell him you need another week or two.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

elius wrote: »
    Got my grant letters yesterday for my renewal. My present licence's expire the end of this month. Just wondering will my grant letters be sufficient till i gather the money to pay them? (week 2) As some will know there's a good bit of finding in 220 euro these days. Any help welcome. Cheers

Strictly speaking, no the grant letter isn't enough.

At best, if you had the grant letters and a receipt as proof of payment, you would have a fair case to present to the Gardaí should you be stopped while you are in possession of the firearms.

Personally, I wouldn't use the guns until I had the licences.

My apologies. I misread the OP and though he was asking about how long the grant letters would be good for.

Battlecorp is dead right. The grant letters on their own are not proof of being licensed merely that you are granted the license. So you need the license or at a minimum the receipt of payment at the post office with the grant.

Again apologies for the incorrect answer in my first post.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Will not be using the firearms during the time until said licence(s) are in my hands they will remain locked in the safe.. Should i consider handing them in till i get the few bob or ring my firearms officer and see what they say?

I highly doubt your FO will ask for the firearms to be stored until you get them.

Your best, and only bet, is to call your FO, tell him the story and play it as he tells you to. I was in a similar situation only a little while ago. I done an awful amount of changing, and found myself having to come up with €240 in a month. For someone on disability not an easy task. My FO sorted me out, and extended one of my grants as the time to pay for it had expired.

I would not worry too much about it. They are flexible enough when you are trying to pay for it. As a local Garda told me, "i'm more interested in the lads that haven't paid in over a year and still have their guns".

• Advertisement
Advertisement