Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows RT or Android, your opinion please

Options
  • 29-05-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Would I be disappointed if I chose an Android tablet when a Win RT one is much the same price?
    Is one considered better than the other for mostly light use such as Netflix viewing, email, and netsurfing.
    Any opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Would I be disappointed if I chose an Android tablet when a Win RT one is much the same price?
    Is one considered better than the other for mostly light use such as Netflix viewing, email, and netsurfing.
    Any opinions appreciated.

Linux/Android is more lightweight, robust and secure operating system.
    Windows RT is probably a cutdown version of the real thing, complete with hungry resources, bugs, security flaws etc.

Android is free, so it's much more likely you can apply newer Android releases as needed in the future, put custom firmware on it, better community support, lots more apps.

Leave Windows for the Desktops, I don't trust it on a phone or tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I haven't used Windows RT so can't comment too much on it but the biggest complaint about it seems to stem from the expectation of being able to run normal desktop programs which just don't work on the ARM architecture. However, for the tasks you've listed it's a perfectly fine device though be wary of the OS eating up a lot of space. Ordinarily what you see is not what you get any way but, for a variety of reasons, Windows RT is a bit of a space hog in comparison to the other OSes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Windows is a resource hog wherever it is found, and you have to pay to update it when a new os comes out. Stick to Android

Advertisement