Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming back deposit on goods

Options
  • 29-05-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I wanted to purchase a professional camcorder and contacted the Camera Shop in Dublin. They didn't have the model I wanted in stock but told me they could order it in for me if I paid a deposit of €1200 which was a third of the cost. I agreed and over the phone they took the money from my account with my laser debit card. I then saw the camera a few days later online for a good €600 cheaper and contacted the camera shop to tell them I had changed my mind. They told me because they had ordered the camera from Sony, that Sony didn't accept returns once the item had been dispatched and that I couldn't get a refund on my deposit.
    They didn't discuss this matter with me before I agreed to hand over my deposit nor did I sign or read any terms and conditions document as all my dealings were made over the phone with them. Does anyone know legally my rights here? Can they really just keep my deposit and is it true that Sony won't accept goods returned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Firstly, a deposit works both ways. Secondly, I'm pretty sure you cannot seek legal advice here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Better to have asked in the consumer issues forum. I don't suggest making a duplicate post - perhaps ask a mod nicely to move it?

Advertisement