Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patchy grass

• 29-05-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Last year I had my garden relaid with new turf. After being laid I watered it every day and fed it every second/third as per instructions. Ended up with a beautiful new lawn. Now, after the winter it's just gone to hell. It's gone patchy, brown patches here and there. Looking for some tips on how to restore the lawn I once had. Any products out there that any of you have used that are effective in restoring my lawn. Appreciate any help, thankyou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

I have the same problem. I put down loads of seed and fertiliser earlier in the year....all the may up to start of may. Eventully i have given up on it and tuesday evening i dug up the patch bits, turned the sod and racked it back. I put down new compost and more seeds.....plan to water it with fertillizers this evening........

• Registered Users Posts: 44 manarocket

If its patchy it might not have good drainage, you will need to use some lawn sand or whats known as top dress some fertiliser and seed.
    Spike the lawn with your fork and apply sand, give it a good rake through allowing the sand to fill the holes made by your fork apply some seed and fertilsier but it is the wrong time of year for seed it should be planted in april. Plenty of watering every day and keep spiking and sanding every couple of weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

thanks. drainage is a problem....I was forking it but didnt seem to do much good....

it will become an articifal putting green next year, if i can't get it sorted out this summer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

buy this book and/or use the Search this Forum function at the top. Lots of similar threads over the years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0903505487/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369910378&sr=1-1&keywords=the+lawn+expert&condition=used

1p plus delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

You could use a Hollow tiner but again as one poster said above it is the wrong time of year.

RX-DK-LGC09502_hollow-tiner_s3x4_lg.jpg

This special tool is used in the same way as the fork and using the same spacing, but it has hollow tines, meaning that cores of soil are removed, which should be filled in with good quality top-dressing.

Short term you could give it a try with a garden fork.

Soil compaction can be relieved by pushing the solid tines of a fork into the lawn down to a depth of about 3 inches (8 cm) and wiggling the fork slightly to widen the holes before continuing this process every 4 inches (10 cm).

RX-DK-LGC09501_garden-fork_s3x4_lg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 manarocket

hey were can you get one of the hollow tiner's from the pic?

Advertisement