Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming back deposit on goods.

• 29-05-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I hope someone can help me out here. I'm pretty clueless on consumer rights. I wanted to purchase a professional camcorder and contacted the Camera Shop in Dublin. They didn't have the model I wanted in stock but told me they could order it in for me if I paid a deposit of €1200 which was a third of the cost. I agreed and over the phone they took the money from my account with my laser debit card. I then saw the camera a few days later online for a good €600 cheaper and contacted the camera shop to tell them I had changed my mind. They told me because they had ordered the camera from Sony, that Sony didn't accept returns once the item had been dispatched and that I couldn't get a refund on my deposit.
    They didn't discuss this matter with me before I agreed to hand over my deposit nor did I sign or read any terms and conditions document as all my dealings were made over the phone with them. Does anyone know legally my rights here? Can they really just keep my deposit and is it true that Sony won't accept goods returned?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

What did you think was the purpose of the deposit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

No rights in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You agreed to buy something for a price. You part paid for it in advance and the shop went out and ordered it especially for you. Now you have changed your mind. The shop is under no obligation to refund you your money.

In this case, I would go in to the store and POLITELY have a chat with the manager. Maybe he could give you a discount? Maybe a credit note for something else. Maybe you could cut your losses and put any credit note on adverts.ie?

Do not go in demanding anything as he can tell you no Box clever and see how you get on.

Advertisement