Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about Repeating the leaving cert, please help!

• 29-05-2013 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello lads! I have some enquiries regarding to the repeat of the leaving cert course, please help me out:

1. If a student were to repeat, do they have to do subjects such as English, maths and the third language if they ave passed it in the first round?

2. If not, what are the best subjects best fit for this course?

3. Do you guys know any good, decent repeat colleges? (not ioe) any body know anything about rathmines, plunket, pearse or st laurances college? What are they like??

4. If the students were to get above 500 or all A for the repeat, are they discriminated against the application of grants or scholarships?

Much appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

If you have the requirements in any subject you no longer have to do it. But you can not mix and match points from different years. If you were to repeat and got ess points the second time around you can use your previous results :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

GeminiBaby wrote: »
    Hello lads! I have some enquiries regarding to the repeat of the leaving cert course, please help me out:

1. If a student were to repeat, do they have to do subjects such as English, maths and the third language if they ave passed it in the first round?

2. If not, what are the best subjects best fit for this course?

3. Do you guys know any good, decent repeat colleges? (not ioe) any body know anything about rathmines, plunket, pearse or st laurances college? What are they like??

4. If the students were to get above 500 or all A for the repeat, are they discriminated against the application of grants or scholarships?

Much appreciated! Thank you!

I'm a repeat myself so I'll try help you out any which way I can :)

1. Once you have the requirements for a course from your first Leaving Cert you don't have to sit those subjects again if you don't want to. Once entry requirements are sorted you can do any combination of subjects you like for points purposes. I dropped English this year myself actually :p You do have to get all your points in one sitting though

2. Not 100% sure what you mean here? :o If you're asking which subjects are the best to pick for your repeat year, a lot of people recommend Economics or Agricultural science cos' they're among the shorter LC courses. They do still need a fair bit of work though (obviously :p) and just keep in mind things like projects and stuff like that. I did economics this year as a new subject and it's fairly manageable :) Try and suit your own strengths when you're picking your subjects. In other words try to see where there might be some overlap with the subjects you've done for your first leaving cert. Like, I'm told Biology and Ag Science go hand in hand and there's a slight overlap with Business and Economics so play to your strengths

3. I'm useless on this one cos' I repeated in my old school. There's a fair bit on Boards about repeat colleges if you have a look around though

4. This will depend on the indiviual scholarship/scheme. Each one will have its own specific details so you might need to check with the providers of the scholarship themselves. Some will apply to first time Leaving Certs only and some won't so there's really no one answer for that one. Your best bet would probably be to get in direct contact with the providers or have a look around their website

Hope some of that's of use to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GeminiBaby

@brown bear11: thank you so much for getting back to me! Much appreciated!

1. Does that apply for all courses? Including psychology or medicine??

2. I apologise for the ambiguity of my questioning. Yes, I meant by the subjects best fit for doing if I was to have to pick up a new subject. My strength lies in the science area. I do both bio and chem. I had some intension to do ag science because the theory part of it is relatively similar to biology. However, many repeat schools do not have such subject in their colleges and I heard there's a project to it too? ._.

3. I have indeed, But Unfortunately I can't seem to get a definite answer from them... All so vaguely. So I wish I talk to some students whom had been to these schools before, however, once again, thanks a million for your help!

4. I will try indeed!Thank you!

Thank you so much!! You were great help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

GeminiBaby wrote: »
    @brown bear11: thank you so much for getting back to me! Much appreciated!

1. Does that apply for all courses? Including psychology or medicine??

2. I apologise for the ambiguity of my questioning. Yes, I meant by the subjects best fit for doing if I was to have to pick up a new subject. My strength lies in the science area. I do both bio and chem. I had some intension to do ag science because the theory part of it is relatively similar to biology. However, many repeat schools do not have such subject in their colleges and I heard there's a project to it too? ._.

3. I have indeed, But Unfortunately I can't seem to get a definite answer from them... All so vaguely. So I wish I talk to some students whom had been to these schools before, however, once again, thanks a million for your help!

4. I will try indeed!Thank you!

Thank you so much!! You were great help!

Oh yeah, sorry I should have said for Med you need to matriculate and get the points in the one setting. It's the only course where you need to get your entry requirements and points together as far as I know.

And yeah, there is a project for ag science and an oral as well. They're worth 25% together I think. I don't do the subject myself so I can't really say much about it either way but you'll know best yourself which subjects would suit you :)

No worries, you're grand!

Advertisement