Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare County Council Property Tax

• 30-05-2013 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭

Quick Question.
    As the property tax is now in place, is it a requirement that Clare CoCo cut the grass in green areas in housing estates and provide other maintenance services??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Judging on how quick they completed the spancil hill interchange on the Ennis to Tulla section of the M352 you might consider cutting it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

Scar001 wrote: »
    Quick Question.
    As the property tax is now in place, is it a requirement that Clare CoCo cut the grass in green areas in housing estates and provide other maintenance services??

Thanks.

No.

All that money is gone into the stuffed pockets of wealthy bondholders.

Anyone who thinks that money is going to local services is badly mistaken, unfortunately .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I wouldn't think that keeping green areas of estates mowed should be top of the Councils agenda for the use of the property tax, if residents want to keep their area up to a certain standard then they can, the council can provide basic landscaping. I would put water, road and local services top of the list to be done.

Just as a side note to make my opinions clear, Residents Associations are a big bug bear of mine, they are setup with the purpose of keeping the area tidy, then they turn into a group of people that have watch too many home improvement shows, all of a sudden there's rockeries, flower patches, herb gardens, all kinds of stuff going in cause the people on the committee think it'll be nice. All of a sudden green areas for kids to play in are now places that children aren't allowed play in. Throw in the fact that as there's more and more money spended on non-maintenance stuff (like Summer/Christmas Parties, bouncy castles) people drop out of the association altogether.

Sorry for the rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Scar001 wrote: »
    Quick Question.

Thanks.

Thats a good question. I would have thought it should be. Just cutting the grass, any other landscaping is extra and should be funded by the residents/

have you contacted the council?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

This might be helpful for some people in privately owned estates and not happy with their current service.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/theconsumershow/propertymanagementcharges.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

Good question, when I inquired the Council said they were responsible for Water, Lights & Road. General maintenance such as landscaping, grass cutting etc.. falls to the residents to cover. We have a residents committee and bought our own lawnmowers etc.. but it does raise questions about insurance etc... seems to be a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Clareman wrote: »
    Throw in the fact that as there's more and more money spended on non-maintenance stuff (like Summer/Christmas Parties, bouncy castles) people drop out of the association altogether.

Has anyone ever tried to drop out?? It's worse than trying to get out of the mafia:D

Grey haired ladies take it in turns to knock on your door and hide in bushes to ambush you every time you set foot outside the door till they get their subscription. So €40 poorer per year and for that I get woken most Saturday mornings at 9.00 a.m. by the sound of a fecking lawnmower:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Clareman wrote: »
    I wouldn't think that keeping green areas of estates mowed should be top of the Councils agenda for the use of the property tax, if residents want to keep their area up to a certain standard then they can, the council can provide basic landscaping. I would put water, road and local services top of the list to be done.

Just as a side note to make my opinions clear, Residents Associations are a big bug bear of mine, they are setup with the purpose of keeping the area tidy, then they turn into a group of people that have watch too many home improvement shows, all of a sudden there's rockeries, flower patches, herb gardens, all kinds of stuff going in cause the people on the committee think it'll be nice. All of a sudden green areas for kids to play in are now places that children aren't allowed play in. Throw in the fact that as there's more and more money spended on non-maintenance stuff (like Summer/Christmas Parties, bouncy castles) people drop out of the association altogether.

Sorry for the rant

And if you do drop out, the witch hunt begins. I've been there.
    It all started out with wanting to keep the green area maintained and it turned into the Garden Gestapo and anyone who wasn't in it, became the victim of a whispering campaign.
    The last straw where anonymous letters stuffed through our door, complaining about our dangerous and aggressive dog.
    The dog in question is the size of a large cat and looks like a brillopad on legs. The only danger from him is that you might pull a muscle laughing at him barking at people.
    The last sentence spoken to the head of the association (jumped up little sh*t with Napoleon complex) ended along the lines "and the horse you rode in on, now get off my property before I call the Gards".
    All these housing estates with all these blow-ins are the stuff of nightmares. Usually people who think they are the Trumps because they took out a mortgage and now own a crappy semi-d, or at least till 2008.
    We now live in a rural area where people have lived for generations and they are just much more relaxed.
    Sorry about my own rant :P but I'm fully convinced the NSDAP grew out of a Resident's Association.

add on vaguely thread related:
    +1 on Clare Co Co looking after roads, water, etc...
    Cut yer own grass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

we all know where this "tax" is going.. straight into the banks and paying them off

Advertisement