Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice sought re Motor Insurance SetUp & Cancellation fees.

Options
  • 30-05-2013 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Economic necessity and domestic circumstances forces me to cancel my motor insurance cover with about 6 months left to run on the policy. The Ins Co respond expressing regrets that I'm cancelling my policy and then say that I must pay approx €46 for non-refundable setup fee and a further €44 cancellation fee and that these amounts are deductible from the refund I will be due on the policy. Seems a bit harsh. Have I any redress ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not really; they could hold you liable for the full amount for the duration left instead as that's what you signed up for and agreed to pay in the first place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fairly standard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Nody wrote: »
    Not really; they could hold you liable for the full amount for the duration left instead as that's what you signed up for and agreed to pay in the first place.

They cant hold you liable for the remaining balance if the terms allow cancelling with fees attached to it, which is the case mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

OK so.....seems clear enough that I'm not in a good position to dispute the levies so it's pay up and suffer it. Thanks for views.

Advertisement