Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayweather v Canelo Alvarez September 14th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Martinez is the one guy that comes straight to mind.
    Adrien Broner maybe?

Garcia was fighting at 140 ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Martinez is the one guy that comes straight to mind.
    Adrien Broner maybe?

Mayweather would absolutely destroy Broner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Johner wrote: »
    Mayweather would absolutely destroy Broner.

Well that is the idea, he is destroying most people. Kind of running out of bodies at this stage.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Well that is the idea, he is destroying most people. Kind of running out of bodies at this stage.

Yeah but Broner has done absolutely nothing to deserve a fight with Mayweather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Just watching the fight now.

I really thought Alverez would give him a better fight although Mayweather was smart enough to fight him this year rather than next year when he'd probably be a better fighter but in the end the preparation and game plan was executed perfectly. It was a very routine looking fight for Mayweather from the 6th onwards.

The real talking point of the fight was CJ Ross's scorecard, utterly embarrassing for the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Golovkin at 154 is the only person can think of that can beat Mayweather now and even at that Mayweather could easily school him. Hard to not think of this thread when watching him though.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056811296

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

SRFC wrote: »
    Pac man got smashed by Marquez look what Floyd done to Marquez he is unbeatable lads its all easy work for him anyone who doesnt enjoy his skills should go watch a few fat heavy weights slug it out or find a different sport well worth the 25 euro fee to watch greatness.

If only it worked like that. Pac destroyed certain guys Floyd got a decision against. Alas this means nothing.

Give over ffs Marquez won the 2nd fight between them aswell ffs pac man is over rated juice head.

The fights were close, nobody got robbed. Did you hear about the test Floyd failed? Or are we ignoring that just for the craic.

Ardent wrote: »
    Can't understand how anyone would stay up all night and pay big money to watch him. Cherry picks opponents nowhere near his level and bores his way to a points win.

I have said that in the past (but I still watch the fights) However, who should he fight next?

There is no doubt Floyd dodged people in the past. He flat out ducked Manny for what ever reason. Canelo was a legit opponent - after last night, I don't see anyone beating him likewise there is no one to duck.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Curious George57

It will be a struggle to find 4 more opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

T-K-O wrote: »
    The fights were close, nobody got robbed. Did you hear about the test Floyd failed? Or are we ignoring that just for the craic.

So you seriously trying to tell me Pac man was a deserving winner of the 2nd fight honestly if you think that get yourself to specsavers asap,and so what if pac man was winning on points when Marquez its boxing anything can people who think like that are basically sayin Marquez knocked him out by fluke or didnt deserve to win the fight just because he was losing at the time on points.

Oscars Blue Print didnt work too well last night either pity he couldnt be there to see his golden boy get whooped,

No chance Broner fights Floyd either they're like family.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭magherakid

Dempsey wrote: »
    Just watching the fight now.

I really thought Alverez would give him a better fight although Mayweather was smart enough to fight him this year rather than next year when he'd probably be a better fighter but in the end the preparation and game plan was executed perfectly. It was a very routine looking fight for Mayweather from the 6th onwards.

The real talking point of the fight was CJ Ross's scorecard, utterly embarrassing for the sport.

u got a link for it?

So you seriously trying to tell me Pac man was a deserving winner of the 2nd fight honestly if you think that get yourself to specsavers asap,and so what if pac man was winning on points when Marquez its boxing anything can people who think like that are basically sayin Marquez knocked him out by fluke or didnt deserve to win the fight just because he was losing at the time on points.

Oscars Blue Print didnt work too well last night either pity he couldnt be there to see his golden boy get whooped,

No chance Broner fights Floyd either they're like family.

How many are you..

Pac V Marquez;

All of their fights were close. Nobody got robbed. That's boxing, was Marquez unlucky to be on the receiving end of those decisions, yes - but get over it. He got his.... eventfully.

Canelo didn't have the ability to cut the ring off ala Dela Hoya. By the way Oscar V Floyd was SD you know.

Broner is a fraud that is why he won't fight Floyd.

Edit, so, Manny is a cheat but we can forget about Floyd and the rumours surrounding him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

4 more fights, then 4 names I would pick would be Garcia, khan, pac, golovkin.

How many are you..

Pac V Marquez;

All of their fights were close. Nobody got robbed. That's boxing, was Marquez unlucky to be on the receiving end of those decisions, yes - but get over it. He got his.... eventfully.

Canelo didn't have the ability to cut the ring off ala Dela Hoya. By the way Oscar V Floyd was SD you know.

Broner is a fraud that is why he won't fight Floyd.

Edit, so, Manny is a cheat but we can forget about Floyd and the rumours surrounding him?

There was nothing close about the 2nd fight an thats fact pacman got pucked around it was a serious robbery,

Broner is a fraud?? how is he a fraud hes 5th or 6th P4P in the world what more do you want him to do nobody is suggesting he's anything like PBF I just said the fight wont ever happen,

No I dont know what your talking about floyd failing performance enhancing tests?? is this conspiracy anti floyd bs??

And how anyone can call floyd a picker of easy fights is a mystery he gave 7 or 8 kilo advantage to an undefeated monster like canelo and whooped him.

There was nothing close about the 2nd fight an thats fact pacman got pucked around it was a serious robbery,

Broner is a fraud?? how is he a fraud hes 5th or 6th P4P in the world what more do you want him to do nobody is suggesting he's anything like PBF I just said the fight wont ever happen,

No I dont know what your talking about floyd failing performance enhancing tests?? is this conspiracy anti floyd bs??

And how anyone can call floyd a picker of easy fights is a mystery he gave 7 or 8 kilo advantage to an undefeated monster like canelo and whooped him.

Right so, give me your scores for the 2nd fight.

Broner is on the l4l list??Wow

What has Broner done to deserve a top 10 l4l ranking. By the way, unless you're #1 l4l - it means nothing.

Of course you don't know about the rumours RE Floyds test. Yet you know all about Manny, why, because Papa Mayweather said he had a big head :rolleyes:

You can be a fan without being completely blinded in the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

anyone else think floyd could have stopped his last 3 opponents if he really wanted to?

i think he just loves going the 12 rounds giving people a show but think he could have stepped it up any time last night if he wanted. its all too easy for him, id have him close to the greatest of all time. he is even better know than he was 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

anto77 wrote: »
    4 more fights, then 4 names I would pick would be Garcia, khan, pac, golovkin.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

broner is a fraud, he is overrated. he has beaten trees so far, gavin rees ffs and a feather fists paulie. broner on the pound for pound list is laughable. he will be found out soon enough. he is also the biggest knob going, very unlikable.

anyone else think floyd could have stopped his last 3 opponents if he really wanted to?

i think he just loves going the 12 rounds giving people a show but think he could have stepped it up any time last night if he wanted. its all too easy for him, id have him close to the greatest of all time. he is even better know than he was 5 years ago.

Difficult to say. If he attacked and work the body early he could have a few KO's. Floyd tends to win the early rounds clearly but without causing too much damage.

As we all know PBF is very calculated in the ring, the most important thing is the victory. That approach usually ends in a decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My opinion on the fight was that Floyd looked sharp and fast and as usual prepared. One can argue and make claims that Canelo was poor and was well beaten and didn't try etc, but Floyd doesn't let boxers do things that they would like to do or things that they can do against lesser boxers.

It was a clear decision win, but not a domination IMO. Some parts of the fight saw Floyd clearly landing with no reply, but many many parts of the fight were posing and threatening from both men.

I was surprised at how easily Floyd was landing single jabs. All adding to the card scores. This was down to Floyd's speed, but also, Canelo being too stationary and inactive. Canelo overall disappointed me. When he did really try he was quite successful and was holding his own. Problem seemed that he went in and out of concentration and focus, letting Floyd pick him off far too easily.

A B+ rating for Floyd and a C- for Canelo.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

Stop this nonsense. He may hav stopped Gurerro if he didn't hurt his hand but that fight could have gone on for 22 rounds and he wouldn't have stopped Canelo.

I was wrong that Floyd would lose, he fought well and got the win but the notion he was holding himself back in some way is a joke. Canelo was looking for him to engage, he sat on the ropes letting Floyd throw so he could counter.

Floyd is effective, he is not a fan friendly fighter. He hits and moves and was practically running at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

How does one enter this p4p league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Scorecard from twitter

efb wrote: »
    Scorecard from twitter
    There has been a lot of slating from judge Ross. But, had she given Foyd the first three rds, which were all close, then Floyd wins 116-112. She gave Canelo 2 rds from the first 3.

Broner is a fraud?? ffs hes a two weight wbc world champion the fella is about 23 how is he a fraud can only beat whats in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

efb wrote: »
    Scorecard from twitter

It doesn't look that disgraceful from that, only in round 1 and 8 was she on her own in going for Alvarez. The early rounds were close in fairness due to the lack of punches thrown. I was biased for Alvarez but still had it 8-4 for Mayweather however.

Broner is a fraud?? ffs hes a two weight wbc world champion the fella is about 23 how is he a fraud can only beat whats in front of him.

How about hype job, easier to swallow?

How about hype job, easier to swallow?

Hyped by who? not half as hyped as many boxers imo,

On the Floyd haters I dont get them they hate his personality and the way he throws his money around,the man has been through more than most of his critics how many of them had no electricity no hot water ever growing up,he made it now the man is an all time great earned it the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 3 Curious George57

It doesn't look that disgraceful from that, only in round 1 and 8 was she on her own in going for Alvarez. The early rounds were close in fairness due to the lack of punches thrown. I was biased for Alvarez but still had it 8-4 for Mayweather however.

They were close but still clearly and obviously mayweather rounds.

Hyped by who? not half as hyped as many boxers imo,

On the Floyd haters I dont get them they hate his personality and the way he throws his money around,the man has been through more than most of his critics how many of them had no electricity no hot water ever growing up,he made it now the man is an all time great earned it the hard way.

You and who ever listed him l4l.

Floyd and Broner are not on the same level in anything. Like I said before, Im not his biggest fan but there is an honesty about Floyd. A certain charm that comes out when he is interviewed. (not promoting)

Broner is a fool.

It was almost the perfect night for Floyd. Had he chosen a decent ring entrance, even entering on his lonesome to complete silence, it would have been the perfect night.

You and who ever listed him l4l.

Floyd and Broner are not on the same level in anything. Like I said before, Im not his biggest fan but there is an honesty about Floyd. A certain charm that comes out when he is interviewed. (not promoting)

Broner is a fool.

Ring Magazine,he came up two weigh classes to beat malanaggi,slag paulie all you want he's no mug he has beaten cotto,also beat that eastern european who up ended ricky hatton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

floyd schooled canelo,the main reason he did because of speed and upper body movement creating angles very quickly and and throwing one twos, uppercuts while still in the pocket...canelo never was in fight and best anyone could argue was he wonn 2-3 rounds..

Ring Magazine,he came up two weigh classes to beat malanaggi,slag paulie all you want he's no mug he has beaten cotto,also beat that eastern european who up ended ricky hatton.

Slag Paulie, Me? wrong again.

I think Paulie is far better than people give him credit for. What I said is, Broner struggled against an old Paulie.

Paulie said so himself. He's not as sharp as he once was

Manny ended Hatton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Malignaggi is a good boxer and he was always very quick but he has absolutely no power. He couldn't hurt a fly with any of his punches and this is what ultimately costs him.

Now I'm not sure how much is down to his multiple broken hands throughout his career but the fact remains that he's always been a soft touch.

Kirby wrote: »
    Malignaggi is a good boxer and he was always very quick but he has absolutely no power. He couldn't hurt a fly with any of his punches and this is what ultimately costs him.

Now I'm not sure how much is down to his multiple broken hands throughout his career but the fact remains that he's always been a soft touch.

Soft touch in terms of power but Paulie was a tough competitor.

Tough and gamey' but never a real threat to quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

There is no one to rival Floyd in his weight class I'm afraid. I don't think garcia or Mathesse would trouble him after last nights performance. Maybe a juiced paq man four years ago. I'd love to know if floyd had dabbled in PEDs and why he did. Mosley was taking EPO and used the excuse he didn't know what it was. I wonder if floyd had taken EPO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Soft touch in terms of power but Paulie was a tough competitor.

Yes but also a soft touch because he will never scare anybody. People know they can literally walk through his punches and smile. Nobody is ever scared to take a fight with him because they know he wont knock them out. This means they can execute any game plan they want and it makes them feel comfortable. Malignaggi will beat crude fighters because he can easily outbox them but any pro with a bit of class can hurt him.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Tough and gamey' but never a real threat to quality.
    Kirby wrote: »
    Yes but also a soft touch because he will never scare anybody. People know they can literally walk through his punches and smile. Nobody is ever scared to take a fight with him because they know he wont knock them out. This means they can execute any game plan they want and it makes them feel comfortable. Malignaggi will beat crude fighters because he can easily outbox them but any pro with a bit of class can hurt him.

No shame in that, solid pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

No shame in that, solid pro.

Pauli has a chin made of stone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Justin Bieber lol.

Paulie didn't beat Cotto. :confused: He got mullered in that fight, he got great credit for lasting the distance with Cotto but he got the living **** kicked out of him during the fight and had his jaw broken.

Johner wrote: »
    Paulie didn't beat Cotto. :confused: He got mullered in that fight, he got great credit for lasting the distance with Cotto but he got the living **** kicked out of him during the fight and had his jaw broken.

I meant Jose Cotto,Obviously :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Bieber is the money team!!!!

Probably has more money than floyd tbh :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

A real masterclass by Mayweather. Alvarez is a boxer-puncher, not a slugger so his size never really came into play offensively. Canelo looked to wait for the straight right and then unload a vicious counter left hook but Mayweather kept him guessing. Mayweather used the jab early and often which confused the hell out of young Canelo. This fight was actually very similar to Donaire vs Rigo in that the boxer triumphed over the boxer-puncher on both occasions, when the bigger and more powerful guy should have forced the issue.

We haven't seen the end of Canelo though, he has some great skills, but slick boxers will always trouble him, just like Trout troubled him and Mayweather utterly schooled him.

A true masterclass. I sometimes wonder does Mayweather consciously realise what he's doing and why. I feel like it's a sort of auto-pilot based on innumerable reference experiences built up from thousands of hours in the ring, combined with a naturally high ring IQ and ridiculous reflexes.

#SweetScience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Just a couple of things to say about last night

Dafuq was Lil Wayne banging on about on the ring walk, and what in the name of holy Jehovah was Justin Bieber doing there too

Result everyone expected in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

kryogen wrote: »
    Just a couple of things to say about last night

Dafuq was Lil Wayne banging on about on the ring walk, and what in the name of holy Jehovah was Justin Bieber doing there too

Result everyone expected in the end

Not the 1st time Bieber was with Mayweather for a fight. Maybe he's hoping for some crazies to do the world a favour!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/24100032
    Floyd Mayweather says he suffered a suspected dislocated elbow halfway through his one-sided defeat of Saul Alvarez in Las Vegas.

Impressive if he did dislocate it but I have my doubts

• Advertisement
Advertisement