Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayweather v Canelo Alvarez September 14th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

As we still wait on the final PPV figures for the Mayweather - Canelo fight in the US it broke all kind of records in Mexico. Nearly 8-out-of-10 households with a television set tuned into the fight which equates to 22.1 million viewers making it the highest-rated boxing program ever on television in Mexico.

So yeah Boxing is a dying sport!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

DK224 wrote: »
    As we still wait on the final PPV figures for the Mayweather - Canelo fight in the US it broke all kind of records in Mexico. Nearly 8-out-of-10 households with a television set tuned into the fight which equates to 22.1 million viewers making it the highest-rated boxing program ever on television in Mexico.

So yeah Boxing is a dying sport!!

That is why Mayweather loves his Mexican fighters!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Your trying to give Manny credit for a win over a weight drained De la hoya? The man was like a zombie getting into that ring, I'm fairly sure our very own Katie Taylor could've knocked him out that night.

Who is Margharita? Last I checked that was a cocktail (although I hear Manny is fond of them,)
    If your trying to give him credit for Margarito then thats even funnier.
    Margarito is one of the most overrated fighters of the last decade, no head movement and basically walks into your shots. Got caught for cheating against Mosley and went on to KTFO.
    He never recovered from that loss, Mosley should've been locked up for what he done.

Pacquiao fans are hilarious :rolleyes:

The cringe reading your posts on Floyd/pac is really overwhelming. I'm actually embarrassed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

moneyman wrote: »
    The cringe reading your posts on Floyd/pac is really overwhelming. I'm actually embarrassed for you.

compiling argument you have there.

kryogen wrote: »
    That is why Mayweather loves his Mexican fighters!!

looks like he will be fighting another Mexican Danny Garcia May 4th of next year on cinco de mayo, won't do nowhere near the numbers as the Canelo fight considering Canelo is the biggest boxer to come out of Mexico since De la hoya.

Still an interesting fight though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

looks like he will be fighting another Mexican Danny Garcia May 4th of next year on cinco de mayo, won't do nowhere near the numbers as the Canelo fight considering Canelo is the biggest boxer to come out of Mexico since De la hoya.

Nah, Danny Garcia is second generation Puerto Rican.

el flaco wrote: »
    Nah, Danny Garcia is second generation Puerto Rican.

same deal, he's Hispanic. I was at the cotto fight on cinco de mayo few years back and turn out of hispanic fans was insane.

saying that Canelo was on the undercard vs Mosley.

I don't see anyone other then Garcia out there now at the moment for Mayweather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This fight will be a complete shut out. Much clearer than Guerrero and Canelo. Danny's not quick enough to compete or make it a fight.

walshb wrote: »
    This fight will be a complete shut out. Much clearer than Guerrero and Canelo. Danny's not quick enough to compete or make it a fight.

I agree it will be a shut out, but who else is there? Martinez and GGG are obviously what everyone wants to see but it's pointless even wasting time thinking about it cause it would never happen.

The weight difference is way too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Do you know what is great though- lively discussion on the boxing forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Themonkey

well for me i hope he doesnt fight khan i think it will be bad for mayweathers rep but good for his pocket id like to see him fighting garcia next then maybe bradley hard fight to make golovkin then hopkins i wish

Themonkey wrote: »
    well for me i hope he doesnt fight khan i think it will be bad for mayweathers rep but good for his pocket id like to see him fighting garcia next then maybe bradley hard fight to make golovkin then hopkins i wish

Hopkins? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Then maybe Klitschko after Hopkins.

timetostopposting.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I agree it will be a shut out, but who else is there? Martinez and GGG are obviously what everyone wants to see but it's pointless even wasting time thinking about it cause it would never happen.

GGG said he'll do 154 to fight Mayweather, I think that makes a fight between them very reasonable, with tv being the main issue then.

But it won't happen....

Y

Pacquiao fans are hilarious :rolleyes:

This is the whole problem. Why is it that folks who level any criticism at either fighter are then labelled Pac or Floyd fans? Criticising either fighter doesn't mean you are a fan of one and not of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WolfPack

Big Ears wrote: »
    GGG said he'll do 154 to fight Mayweather, I think that makes a fight between them very reasonable, with tv being the main issue then.

But it won't happen....

Agreed. Absolutely won't happen.

As for Khan happening, lets see him get past Alexander first, which is far from a certainty

If GG was to get to 154 I would favor Floyd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Then maybe Klitschko after Hopkins.

timetostopposting.jpg

take a look at the news, its being mentioned in the US

ludicrous yes, but don't attack the poster for simply mentioning something thats already been mentioned

these guys dont know much and that lads an idiot anyway

these guys dont know much and that lads an idiot anyway

Who are you talking about?

• Advertisement

Who are you talking about?
    gene dumbo

gene dumbo

Charming!

That's just it. Some people here seem to think that drugs turn a donkey into a racehorse. Not at all true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Both weigh less than Canelo on fight night. But as said above Golovkin will never happen anyway. The winner of Khan Alexander is the obvious next opponent. I think Alexander is a far trickier opponent for Mayweather but Khan's speed will cause Alexander huge problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

I still think if Pacquaio beats Rios impressively (which after his last two fights is no guarantee!) I could easily see a Mayweather v Pacquaio fight take place at the Cowboys Stadium and doing big business on PPV. Its still a superfight and I think its pretty clear that Mayweather has moved onto an even higher level of stardom after the Canelo fight and he'll see Paquaio as pretty beatable now. The only drawback is the fact Manny is tied to HBO till late 2014

SRFC wrote: »
    Reguarding my views on mannys rumoured ped use,Im a user of certain performance enhancers and its not a magic pill you have to train as hard as someone training natural its just the results are quicker so he deserves respect for what he's done in boxing,what he's done cant be replicated by anyone after having a few courses of steroids the man is a boxing hall of famer.

Which performance enhancers do you use?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Which performance enhancers do you use?

Stanozolol.

Stanozolol.

For what purpose?

For what purpose?

To cut weight and get ripped.

• Advertisement

why do you need that stuff? ridiculous.

For sport or aesthetics?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

That's not the point. It's cheating. End of story.
    Watch Pac v Cotto...Pac steamrolls him as if he's made of steel. He's a juicer, therefore a piece of **** IMO[/

I don't value your opinion.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I wouldnt say Ali whupped Foreman. Ali took alot of punishment to tire Foreman.

Could argue that Pacquiao stopped doping around the time Mayweather was demanding Olympic style drug testing to agree to a fight. His performances in those two fights were below par imo.

Doping doesnt have to make you look superhuman a la Ben Johnson in track & field, just that little bit better than the competition.

Like I said, styles make fights. Against Oscar and Marg and Clottey he looked awesome because all three were human punchbags. The Cotto fight for me shows nothing. Cotto simply ran for a lot of it after being tagged heavy and dropped. Cotto was never great, anyway.

You're right regarding Foreman and Ali. But, the Norton analogy still stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Here's one for you. Floyd came up in weight and brutalized Gatti. More than Manny Brutalized Cotto. Is Floyd a juicer?

Potentially, more due to how rampant it is.
    For Pac, the Cotto fight is just one example. Lots of fighters have whupped bigger guys but combine it with his refusal to test with Mayweather and it looks very suspect indeed.
    Of course that has been debated in detail on here in the past so apologies for bringing things down an old road...this is all just about our different opinions!

Referring back to your previous point re "not turning donkeys into racehorses".
    I think that is a valid point but at the elite level of sports, the difference between victory and defeat can be measured in fractions of a second and it is within these tight confines that performance enhancing drugs can make a major difference.

Referring back to your previous point re "not turning donkeys into racehorses".
    I think that is a valid point but at the elite level of sports, the difference between victory and defeat can be measured in fractions of a second and it is within these tight confines that performance enhancing drugs can make a major difference.

Couldn't agree more with the above.

• Advertisement

For sport or aesthetics?
    Aesthetics.
    why do you need that stuff? ridiculous.

I dont need it I just choose to use it to get in better shape in quicker time.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

Oh, and was Foreman a doper because he whupped Norton, yet Norton really bothered Ali, who by the way, whupped Foreman?

JMM beat Manny and gave him fits. If Manny was such a doper and so powerful why did it not work against Bradley and JMM?

Styles play a big part in a lot of fight outcomes.

Let's look at Manny's powerful displays:

Oscar. Nothing powerful at all when one studies it. Manny was just too quick for a pathetic version of Oscar. Still, Oscar was standing come rd 8.

Cotto: First 4 rds close and then he got caught and dropped a couple of times before running for the night. Hardly definitive proof that Manny had to be doping.

Clottey: A human punchbag. No need to elaborate

Margarito: A human punchbag, whom Mosley proved the point before Manny got to him. Mosley really softened Margarito up.

Mosely: An old man and well past it, who still went 12 rds with this supposed drugs cheat.

Bradley: Beats Manny.

JMM: KOS Manny.

Looking at the above doesn't really make Manny look like some superman drugs cheat, now does it?

Bradley didn't beat manny. Stop saying it like its true

fsfg wrote: »
    Bradley didn't beat manny. Stop saying it like its true

Way to go on picking one single point from my post. I gave the bout to Manny. Officially he lost. Anyway, you're missing the point. Manny was far from a beast in that fight. Bradley got in and did very well. All these guys got in the ring with Manny, and some did very well.

Not directed to you specifically, but what was Floyd "scared" of? How come none of these lads called for OSDT?

I don't want to hear "because Floyd wants to clean the sport up." That is nonsense. As a fan of Floyd the boxer I felt that his behaviour regarding the potential Manny fight in 2009/2010 was one of a kind. Completely unique. Why?

In bringing in his own drugs testing rules Floyd was practically saying that Manny was a beast. A ridiculously strong and dangerous opponent. So strong that Bradley and JMM beat him? That an old Mosley went 12 rds against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninkynonk

Way to go on picking one single point from my post. I gave the bout to Manny. Officially he lost. Anyway, you're missing the point. Manny was far from a beast in that fight. Bradley got in and did very well. All these guys got in the ring with Manny, and some did very well.

Not directed to you specifically, but what was Floyd "scared" of? How come none of these lads called for OSDT?

I don't want to hear "because Floyd wants to clean the sport up." That is nonsense. As a fan of Floyd the boxer I felt that his behaviour regarding the potential Manny fight in 2009/2010 was one of a kind. Completely unique. Why?

In bringing in his own drugs testing rules Floyd was practically saying that Manny was a beast. A ridiculously strong and dangerous opponent. So strong that Bradley and JMM beat him? That an old Mosley went 12 rds against.

But floyd has tested positve for PEDs. Manny said he'd agree to the testing but wouldn't give blood withing two days of the fight. I don't know if Manny was doping I think he may have been though.

Mosley tested positive for EPO and nobody went wild complaining. I think it's expected in the sport.

ninkynonk wrote: »
    But floyd has tested positve for PEDs. Manny said he'd agree to the testing but wouldn't give blood withing two days of the fight. I don't know if Manny was doping I think he may have been though.

Mosley tested positive for EPO and nobody went wild complaining. I think it's expected in the sport.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Yes, Mosley tested positive. Floyd for me was not a PED user. He was waivered' three times for inadvertent use. Anyway, like I said, I am not sure what you are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninkynonk

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Yes, Mosley tested positive. Floyd for me was not a PED user. He was waivered' three times for inadvertent use. Anyway, like I said, I am not sure what you are saying.

Sorry my point which was lost in my post as I was falling asleep writing it was that I think PEDs I think are rife in boxing.

I don't think any excuses should be accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Sorry my point which was lost in my post as I was falling asleep writing it was that I think PEDs I think are rife in boxing.

I don't think any excuses should be accepted.

They certainly are imo. I think they're rife at the top level in every sport, not just boxing. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if every top athlete out there at the moment is on some form of PED. These drugs are so sophisticated these days that they can easily go undetected through a drugs test.

Oh, and was Foreman a doper because he whupped Norton, yet Norton really bothered Ali, who by the way, whupped Foreman?

JMM beat Manny and gave him fits. If Manny was such a doper and so powerful why did it not work against Bradley and JMM?

Styles play a big part in a lot of fight outcomes.

Let's look at Manny's powerful displays:

Oscar. Nothing powerful at all when one studies it. Manny was just too quick for a pathetic version of Oscar. Still, Oscar was standing come rd 8.

Cotto: First 4 rds close and then he got caught and dropped a couple of times before running for the night. Hardly definitive proof that Manny had to be doping.

Clottey: A human punchbag. No need to elaborate

Margarito: A human punchbag, whom Mosley proved the point before Manny got to him. Mosley really softened Margarito up.

Mosely: An old man and well past it, who still went 12 rds with this supposed drugs cheat.

Bradley: Beats Manny.

JMM: KOS Manny.

Looking at the above doesn't really make Manny look like some superman drugs cheat, now does it?

jackie-chan-wtf-face-i16.jpg

Floyd has never tested positive for PED's? Have you any proof of this because I've followed the guy for years and have never heard of this.

Either you are talking about the hand injections or the rumours that went around about him failing three separate tests that where made up by that idiot Gabriel Montoya who had absolutely no evidence of this ever happening.

The reason nobody went wild about Mosley "testing positive,"
    Was because:
    1. He never "tested positive" for anything
    2. It was years after he allegedly was doping
    3. He was on BALCO's distribution list and nothing was ever proved

jackie-chan-wtf-face-i16.jpg

Another poster picking a single point

I gave the verdict to Manny. Bradley still didn't get beaten up. It was quite a competitive scrap once you muted Kellerman, Lampley and the rest of HBO.

What's your view on the likes of Bradley and JMM getting in with Manny and doing very well, with no wondering about PEDs, yet Floyd wouldn't get in unless he had his own drugs testing?

Ray Charles could see what was going on with Pacquaio lads, anyone who still needs convincing needs to take a more objective viewpoint.

JMM then must have saw it. Luck boy he was, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭TheKingslayer

Because Pacquaio wouldn't agree to the USADA drug testing....

Ridiculous comment out of you to be fair.

That's like saying "Floyd is better than Margarito, so why didn't he fight Margarito and let him wear the plaster hand wraps, sure he would still beat him anyway so who cares if Margarito is cheating."

I suppose you care equally as little about poor Cotto who got his face battered in by cement gloves because all that matters at the end of the day is the fact you got to see them fight.

Floyd has cleaned up the sport, the number of people who have pissed hot since his campaign is proof of that.

I suppose you are one of the people who watches the tour de france and says who cares if Armstrong is on diesel, sure he still had to cycle all those mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lads is such drug talk allowed? There would be bannings on other fora (cycling etc) for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭TheKingslayer

I actually never said Pacquaio was taking drugs. Such accusations are against the forum rules.

I mentioned known drug cheats - armstrong and margarito.

I also mentioned that Pacquaio had a phenomenal rise to the top, and that even Ray Charles could see how successful Pacquaio was as a boxer.

I also lauded JMM for his success in the ring.

Ray Charles could see what was going on with Pacquaio lads, anyone who still needs convincing needs to take a more objective viewpoint.

So, what was going on with Pac?

• Advertisement
Advertisement