Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amphibian King shoe recommendations not working out.

Options
  • 30-05-2013 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi,

I could do with some advice regarding what to do now with running shoes.

After a gait analysis with AK, the Sacony Hurricane 15's (support shoe) were advised. I found these fine on short runs (under 4miles) but on longer runs +6mile and over, I was getting severe ankle pain. I brought them back and they said I wasn't getting enough ankle support, so a motion control shoe was recommended - Mizuno Alchemy Wave. Now these do support me well, but I'm getting a constant numbness in my feet from start to finish. At the end of my runs, it's so uncomfortable it's not worth running in them. It's a numbing pain if that makes sense?
    Is this just because they have a plastic "wave" running through the sole making them extremely hard soles?

Amphibian King are grand and all, no bother changing the first pair, but I'm weary of sending these back for a third attempt. Can they really find the right shoe for me?
    What would you recommend? Has anyone tried custom made shoes? I was looking online on Physioproducts.ie - Somnio Custom Fit Running Shoes. made for your feet and running gait. Anyone try these?

thanks/Chef.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Hi,

I could do with some advice regarding what to do now with running shoes.

After a gait analysis with AK, the Sacony Hurricane 15's (support shoe) were advised. I found these fine on short runs (under 4miles) but on longer runs +6mile and over, I was getting severe ankle pain. I brought them back and they said I wasn't getting enough ankle support, so a motion control shoe was recommended - Mizuno Alchemy Wave. Now these do support me well, but I'm getting a constant numbness in my feet from start to finish. At the end of my runs, it's so uncomfortable it's not worth running in them. It's a numbing pain if that makes sense?
    Is this just because they have a plastic "wave" running through the sole making them extremely hard soles?

Amphibian King are grand and all, no bother changing the first pair, but I'm weary of sending these back for a third attempt. Can they really find the right shoe for me?
    What would you recommend? Has anyone tried custom made shoes? I was looking online on Physioproducts.ie - Somnio Custom Fit Running Shoes. made for your feet and running gait. Anyone try these?

thanks/Chef.

AK run a great service and will do everything to help you. Just to be sure, your not fastening your laces too tight?. Ring AK and explain the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sounds like the laces are too tight to me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Lacing techniques here
    I always use #3

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Try a neutral shoe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Ditto on the lacing.

Bear in mind though that runners aren't a silver bullet for running injuries. Trie some ankle/foot strengthening exercises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Yeah tight laces was my first thought. I tried every way with the laces. Doesn't make any odds.
    It seems to be the Mizuno Alechemy Wave hard soles. I wouldn't have minded trying the Brooks Beast, but AK didn't have any in stock.
    Anyone try the Beast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hi Chef, there is absolutely no problem bringing the Mizuno back to us too if it's not working out for you.

Mizuno is probably the least fussy construction of a running shoe, there's no gels pouches or other structures in the midsole. As previous posters mentioned lacing may be a factor but simply being of a different structure to all other shoes may be a factor too.

I won't say just get used to them, it may take a bit of getting used to but there is no problem getting you changed to something else or the Beast if you prefer. PM me with your size & I can check availability, I know Brooks are shy on the Beast stock until the new season.

Hi AKWest. I appreciate for the reply.

One thing I've noticed about the Mizuno Alchemy Wave is how much room there is in the shoe. They seem wider/roomier. I think that is why I have my laces a bit tighter than my previous runners. Maybe too wide for my feet?

I'm going to give them one last run this weekend on a new lace layout as mentioned in a link from a previous poster, and see how it goes. I do like the support I get from these, but I might have other underlying factors causing this need for extra support, which currently I'm working on (eg: leg strengthening, ankle exercises).

Saucony do a stability shoe like the Brooks Beast yes? The ProGrid Stabil?

(I'm a 7.5. I don't think they had the Beast in either the Ballymount or Bray stores when I was there last time)

Just one last note...I really liked the 8mm heel-toe offset on the Hurricanes. Is there any other manufacturer doing this thinner offset?

Just one last note...I really liked the 8mm heel-toe offset on the Hurricanes. Is there any other manufacturer doing this thinner offset?

There's not and strangely enough the Stabil (equivalent to Beast except lighter) remains at a 12mm drop.

I'll check Brooks stock for you and let you know if there's any available and what other options I can find for you.

Re Mizuno, yes they are a spacious fit with a wide & high toe box area. It takes a little getting used to but the toes love that space to stretch and splay out.

I'll get back to you on the Beast / options

• Advertisement

Thanks to BeepBeep67 for the lacing link!
    That 3rd type of lacing every second eyelet really relieved the pressure off my foot. I've never seen laces ran this way before.
    I don't have them laced as tight now, even though my foot swims in them Mizuno Alchemy and I'm losing a bit of support on my ankles, I can live with that and work on building up strength in my ankle and calf muscles.
    I just have to see how they hold up on 10+ mile runs.

Cheers All.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thanks to BeepBeep67 for the lacing link!
    That 3rd type of lacing every second eyelet really relieved the pressure off my foot. I've never seen laces ran this way before.
    I don't have them laced as tight now, even though my foot swims in them Mizuno Alchemy and I'm losing a bit of support on my ankles, I can live with that and work on building up strength in my ankle and calf muscles.
    I just have to see how they hold up on 10+ mile runs.

Cheers All.

Combine that with the end bit of the my heel slips lacing technique where you loop the last two eyelets and cross over

Yeah, I noticed all the AK staff lace the top two eyelets like this.

Hope they're working out for you better now that the lacing is adjusted.

Beast is available from Brooks, can be ordered into any of the stores for you to try on if Alchemy is not working out for you. Beast would be normally the choice of 'last resort' for many as its a heavy stiff shoe. If you need that amount of control with cushioning it (or the Stabil) are the only ones that fit the bill though.

I ran 11 miles yesterday (in that heat!). The Alchemy were fine. A bit of ankle pain, but no where near as much as the Saucony Hurricane. Only thing I did notice is my toe nails seemed to take a hammering. Never had that before.
    Any idea what that is? Is it the extra room in the front section of the Mizuno?

I would reckon its the socks being a tad tight on the toes as they stretch out. When you pull on the socks give the toe material a tug so there's a wee bit of extra material loose at the toes. Washing causes the material to tighten up a bit too.

Ok thanks, I'll give that a go.
    Although I've been wearing the same 1000mile socks for years, and never seen my toes bruised like that.
    Probably a bit of softener in the wash wouldn't go a miss!

Advertisement