Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhebogue

• 30-05-2013 8:22am

I used to walk home from UL to Edward Street for years from the late nineties through to 2005 whereupon I was abroad for a while. It was always a lovely walk with pleasant areas and polite people.

I started doing the trek again recently and noticed a change. There seemed to be a lot more people around at night time. They displayed a lack of sartorial elegance in that track pants and football shirts seemed to be the norm. Also the hairstyles were rather basic. Around 2am one night I was walking up past the Aldi and came upon two of such people. "Have you got a cigarette?" was the question posed. I quickly said "No" and hurried along before I got clocked over the head and mugged.

Another night there were a gang of teenagers attempting to damage the electrical equipment next to the Aldi car park.

I just saw a report on the Limerick Leader website about a Rhebogue halting site so my suspicions have been confirmed. What a crying shame. It was the one area in Limerick that was without these elements. The Council are moving this pond life in and you don't know they're there. It's akin to planting landmines in a field without a warning sign.

Hopefully this halting site will be closed and the area will return to its former glory. I'm not racist but everybody knows that these people generally cause trouble and are very very tough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I don't mean to piss in your corn flakes, but i believe, and I'm open to correction on this, that halting site has been there well over 10 years at this stage. It's tucked away behind a housing estate. Most people don't even know it's there and it's one of the least troublesome of the sites in the city.

Well not only was I referring to the halting site but also the Regeneration policy employed by the Council/Corpo. I probably should have been clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AaronJack

That halting site has been there for at least 15 years if not more, im not originally from Rhebogue but I do live there, to suggest that the people living in the halting site are the main concern is a bit harsh considering you only read it online, try living in Rhebogue before you start making accusations, my parents moved in to the estate where the halting site is over 2 years ago and have NEVER had a problem with them, I'm living in a near by estate for the past 9 years and never had a problem with them.

The two people that mugged you could have been from anywhere in limerick at that hour of the morning, I am by no means defending anyone here im just stating a few facts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

6f7d7db4_350x700px-LL-4ad90b08_Not-sure-if-serious2.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Another night there were a gang of teenagers attempting to damage the electrical equipment next to the Aldi car park.
    And you knew these were Travellers and or regeneration family progeny because you spoke to them and uncovered their origin?
    Or because you jumped to a conclusion based on your previously existing bias?
    I just saw a report on the Limerick Leader website about a Rhebogue halting site so my suspicions have been confirmed. What a crying shame. It was the one area in Limerick that was without these elements. The Council are moving this pond life in and you don't know they're there. It's akin to planting landmines in a field without a warning sign.
    The halting site is there quite a while as others have said, definitely well over 10yrs(if I was pressed I'd say at least 15yrs)and even before many of the current houses in the area were built. which funnily enough would mean that when you were trekking between
    UL to Edward Street for years from the late nineties through to 2005
    That the ''land mine, pond scum, tough tough troublemakers'' you describe never came to your attention nor you to theirs? In spite of at the very least a few years overlap?
    So to say it was one area of the city without ''those elements'' is wrong, its more true to say that for a long time there was and is an element of co-existence out there.
    I'm not racist but.
    ''But''....
    The defence of liberal minded bigots!
    I'm not a racist BUT
    Now that some situation affects me that may be able to be pinned on a different ethnic minority\Class or some other socially differentiating factor,
    I'd best point out its not that I'm racist BUT Its because its common knowledge that Travellers\Regeneration folk are
    pond life
    and
    akin to planting landmines
    and the auld everybody knows it chestnut
    everybody knows that these people generally cause trouble and are very very tough.
    Its not racist ergo I'm not racist, when everybody knows that the sterotype is true?

• Advertisement
Advertisement