Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remember your first phone???

Options
  • 30-05-2013 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

My brother asked me had I got bluetooth on my 1st phone i goes no i had to make my own polyphonic ring tones he looked at me as if i had 2 heads

does anybody remember their 1st phone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Have a feeling mine was the M3188 or a similar phone. Whatever one AIB were offering in the 1998 student deal for college starters. I was the first person I knew to send a text message in 98/99! :pac: (yes I've no doubt texts existed long before that but no one I knew had seen them before!).
    mom3188b.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I didn't get a mobile phone until 2006 iirc. It was a Motorola V975.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I had a StarTac as well, they were the business until the Nokia "Matrix" phones came out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I had a few Ericsson's after the StarTac, then became a Nokia mong for a few years! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

One of these back in 2000. Free when opened my AIB student account.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Still have at home somewhere.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Mine was NEC 9a
    17627_320.jpg
    This was the original brick...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Panasonic J Series phone, circa 1994 on the 088 network :eek:

Not my photo, but this is what it looks like:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I remember years ago a friend had a Nokia and the battery died so they couldn't even get their phone numbers off it. It turned out the battery was exactly the same size as 4 x AA batteries wrapped in a bit of plastic... which is how I got it to turn on again and get the info off!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Man on Fire

irish-stew wrote: »
    One of these back in 2000. Free when opened my AIB student account.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Still have at home somewhere.

HA thats a blast from the past my first phone too... can still here my message tone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I had the Motorola dynatac. Huge brick phone you used to see on Miami vice etc. Was on Vodafone UK then cellnet in the late 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

Nokia 3210! I miss snake! hours of fun!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

dixiedan wrote: »
    This is a Nokia 3330 which I had about 12 years ago. Came across it again about 6 month ago. Battery was obviously dead , so ordered one online. I also managed to unlock it using a code I got online for free.
    Nokia 3310/3330. Absolutely LEGENDARY phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My dads nokia 6310i. Still use it on a night out if im walking home and dont care if I got robbed.

Used it in oxygen for 4 days and still had half a charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

ericsson_a1018_add_21.jpg

Ericsson A1018 - Horrible thing, hated it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Work gave me a Siemens C25 for a while so I could be contactable when disaster struck at Y2K.

10046362.1f6855a17ea276846bb15bb455666416.jpg

After I gave it back I had no interest in getting a phone of my own so it was a couple of years before I eventually got a Nokia 3210.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

I had a nokia 5110 when I was about 11 and I thought I was the man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Great little phone this! I miss flip phones, and Ericsson, and the little blinking green light that was standard on Ericssons. Not exactly packed with features but it was a good solid and stylish phone for its time.
    _origin_Mani-mobilie-telefoni-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

002886_1.jpg

Motorola 201. I knew I had it in my pocket anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

My first mobile was my when my Dad gave me his company phone, a 'BT Amber', in 1996 as he never used it.
    mFyVzHZvPxYBJDHabZnWdSg.jpg
    The first phone I bought myself was a 'People's Phone PP800' in early 1997. Really compact for the time.
    002896_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

C6278B36-9D24-45F3-BCDD-F22F72A67CDB-7303-00000701696BE6C4_zpsec7252e3.jpg

My 1st phone I'd also remember that the text messages were free to send on eircell network

• Registered Users Posts: 65,483 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Zaph wrote: »
    Work gave me a Siemens C25 for a while so I could be contactable when disaster struck at Y2K.

Ditto! Customers insisted I got a mobile phone in '99 so they demanded my boss to get me one. I didn't really want it :(

Not a bad phone the C25 in its day. I manually programmed a ringtone into it (tubular bells) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

My first two phones had both been my parents beforehand.

First was a Motorola V50 I think. Was a slick phone and looked damn cool.
    motobmw36902.jpg

Followed up by a Siemens SL45i.
    Siemens-SL45i-01.jpg

Damn, getting nostalgic now. Also, working V50's seem to sell for quite a lot on ebay due to the fact they were branded as BMW phones and were the only phones to dock in some BMW M model at the time.

EDIT: Just reading up on it there, the Siemens was the first mobile phone with memory expansion and an MP3 player, and was also the first phone to have a Java virtual machine. I'm sorry I handed it into one of those phone collections in school now, especially since there are people offering €100 for them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dafuq, that's what I had too! Motorola followed by a SL45i, great phone had it ages!
    Actually I had the Motorola Flare

I also had Nokia 6150, which was brilliant

old_mobiles_017.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Great little phone this! I miss flip phones, and Ericsson, and the little blinking green light that was standard on Ericssons. Not exactly packed with features but it was a good solid and stylish phone for its time.

You needed its big brother.
    img01409.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

manually typing out each note to a new ringtone on the Nokia 3210 - first phone I bought myself, still have it here somewhere

but my favourite one was the 7200 flip phone - textile cover on it was great for soaking up spilt beer

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Siemens A35 as far as I can remember.
    1305709114_a35.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Shows my age here, but I think I got this around 6th class in primary school

147-sagem-MyX5-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

hfallada wrote: »
    My dads nokia 6310i. Still use it on a night out if im walking home and dont care if I got robbed.

Used it in oxygen for 4 days and still had half a charge

The 6310's were unbreakable.My dad dropped his into a container of used engine oil and it still worked perfectly. The battery used to last him 10 days. They don't make them like they used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Chavways wrote: »
    The 6310's were unbreakable.My dad dropped his into a container of used engine oil and it still worked perfectly. The battery used to last him 10 days. They don't make them like they used to.
    All of those older phones that I remember where indestructible, and batteries used to last up to 2 weeks :)

Advertisement