Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remember your first phone???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jamey_29

search?q=panasonic+mobile+phone+1999&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HwDFUfmfOs2P7AaZk4HoDg&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=899#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=LXSh5wh-5oFjbM%3A%3BVPh3h5aN1NRgJM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.modip.ac.uk%252Fsites%252Fmodip%252Fimages%252Flarge%252F002175_1.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.modip.ac.uk%252Fartefact%252Faibdc-002175%3B700%3B525

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jamey_29

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=VPh3h5aN1NRgJM&tbnid=LXSh5wh-5oFjbM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.modip.ac.uk%2Fartefact%2Faibdc-002175&ei=UQDFUc_2JK-Q7AaNqIC4Bg&bvm=bv.48293060,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNE4rGr7EnF6Uf3a2Vm3Va359bUNrQ&ust=1371951544435864

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    All of those older phones that I remember where indestructible, and batteries used to last up to 2 weeks :)

It's easy to last 2 weeks when all you can do is make/receive calls/sms and you've a monochrom 1-2 inch screen.

My first phone was a siemens S4:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkJ1p-TWlabRnhJx0FlV3fD5EqjwTkd87XtybAG64bnd86KtF8ADy82w

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭flazio

PF768.JPG
    Ericsson GF768. Got on Eircell RTG in 1999. Back then you could receive SMS but you couldn't send on RTG. To this day I still have the same phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

some old alcatel thing with a 1-2 line green lcd screen before the days of even snake .....i feel old
    alcatel_one_touch_easy.jpg

that thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

One of the greats a Nokia 3210.

244px-Nokia_3210_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Nokia-9110i.jpg

Nokia 9110 , got it 2nd hand in 2000-2001 still possibly one of the greatest phones Ive ever used , upgraded to a 9210i after . Ive never learned to use t9/keypad texting because Ive always had a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

An indestructible great for a time of great drunkenness and debauchery. Survived temporary immersion in a toilet. Being dropped countless times. Finally succumbed when I crashed my bike. Had a 5110 shaped grove in my ribcage for a few days after :p

220px-Nokia_5110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

phi-fizz-312-5p-blau-2.jpg

the Phillips Fizz, with an extendale aerial. on the old Eircell 088 network in 1996. Signed up on a 12 month contract and got a free portable TV and i think 3 months rent free. Still have the same number, well it's 087 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭Heroditas

My first one was an NEC DB500 - got it free in the Carphone Warehouse on a contract with Eircell back in late 1999. what a heap of junk, after a few months it barely held its charge for a day!

584_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Never saw the need for a mobile phone but then my mate insisted and bought me this: Sell%20GSM%20refurbished%20mobile%20phone_SIEMENS%20M35i248.jpg

Back in the days when the sim card could only store 11msgs ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

C35i on Eircell! Not a bad wee phone...

sic35_00.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭flazio

C35i on Eircell! Not a bad wee phone...

sic35_00.jpg

I went through the entire Siemens C range on Eircell/Vodafone (C35 - C65) always a great phone for those adamant they weren't joining the Nokia brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Now I feel old, in the mid eighties this was my first phone... The Almighty Brick, the Motorola 8000.
    If I remember correctly, it cost 80 pence /min to make a call and 50 pence/ min to receive a call.
    Tiny screen with very basic display functions, no such thing as texting back then. GSM came later, we started on 088 analog system. And the original phone number is still in use today!!
    8000grey3.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ahh Remember 088 and the arrogance of Eircell , Wait 24 to 48 hours for a new connection. Supply references & some one to go guarantor on your bill.
    Pay a connection fee and a deposit.
    Don't like it??? Go elsewhere.... :rolleyes:
    Back then if the reception was bad you just tilt your head the other way...
    How did we survive...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    One of the greats a Nokia 3210.

244px-Nokia_3210_3.jpg
    Yep, my first too. It's still at my mother's house and was still working the last time it was tried. I even had the gall to change the case to a bright yellow Jordan F1 case... ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

All the phones in this thread gave me ire when I worked with Eircell in the late nineties. It was great having a new phone every few months but half of the phones in each consignment were duds.

My first phone was a Philips Savvy,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKuCa4CyzN4eQkBmIUFYbl446zkm4b2DV5ctsyo7je0soS0-PNtQ

also worked my way through the Siemens phones and settled on a S35,

1250_1.jpg loved that phone. hated Ericsson phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

My kids (oldest is 9 so they don't know life without mobile phones) asked me about my first mobile phone and I've just spent half an hour searching the net trying to get a picture of it. Of course I couldn't remember the name of it or even the make. Turns out it was a Phillips Savvy (pic in post immediately above). I won it in an eircell competition in summer 2000. It was the cheapest phone in the eircell Ready To Go range. Unbelievable how basic it was in comparison to today's technology, but I stuck with it for a couple of years.

This video will give you an idea of how small the display was (had to scroll and scroll to read a 160 char text message) and the sound of it: Phillips Savvy Signal Tones

There are a few more videos.

Ah, nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

I had one of these bad boys.
    It was one of those Ready to Go things. I think it cost £99.
    Bought it in late 97. No texts, games, calender, etc.
    The sim card was built into the phone and the battery was about half the size of the phone.
    Those were the days :)

image2.php?path=909.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

First was a nokia 3310. Loved Space Impact on that thing. Went through the wash more than once and survived.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Aidenwyatt

I used Nokia mobile but forgot the model... i lost it while travelling....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

KoolKid wrote: »
    Mine was NEC 9a
    17627_320.jpg
    This was the original brick...

Ditto:D I bought it for £270.00 second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Mine was a Siemens S25 in 1999, people were amazed it had a colour screen.

Was practically indestructible, but it was stolen, and Esat Dodgyfone replaced it with a M-class Siemens that wasn't nearly as good (imho).

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Around 1998 - 1999 I had a Siemens C10 in the UK and one of those eircell motorola £99 bricks for Ireland. Still have the same 087 number too! Hated both of them. I really thought I was coming up in the world when I got a 3210 in 2001!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

First one was a good auld 5110 in 1999, you could'nt kill it! It took a fair beating over the 3 years i had it. Have only ever bought Nokia's after that. I have a 6303 now since 2009, have recently cracked the screen on it bit it's still going strong after been dropped from a height numerous times and surviving 2 falls from the overall top pocket into a bucket of burned oil!

Nokia, the Toyota of the phone world!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

After a bit of head scratching and flashbacks inspired by this thread, I reckon this is my phone history in approximate order starting around 1996.. I will never forget the horror of how frustratingly bad the Ericsson phones were....

Analogue:
    Sony CM-H777

GSM:
    Ericsson A1018
    Ericsson T10s
    Siemens C25
    Siemens M35i
    Nokia 6150
    Nokia 6310i
    Motorola V525

3G:
    Nokia 6280
    Nokia E75
    Nokia E71
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Nokia C7
    Apple iPhone 4S

There has been some amount of change in battery life, form factor/size and functionality over the years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Oh you youngsters and your fancy shmancy phones, This was my first phone in 95

Maxon_EPC590E.JPG

You could make and receive calls THAT was it:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

My first one was an Ericsson T28 GSM.

Remember the Yes / No menus on the old Ericssons?

Everything was asked as a question.

269164.jpg

Back when phones still had external antennae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Dont remember the brand but was essentially a brick complete with an arial and had that maddening text alert...the descending beepbeepbeepbeeeeeeep..beepbeepbeep...beepbeepbeepbeeeeeeep.beepbeepbeep!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It was a blue nokia brick with 2 rubber lights on either side. Then a flip phone. I still miss that old nokia phone

Times were awesome :)

Advertisement