Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Universities for all

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

Media999 wrote: »
    Every single class room should have a router / repeater in it bar none. They can be had for 20 bucks each and sort a major problem out.

A router in every class room would be ridiculous and it's not such an easy fix as you suggest. We used to have a router set up in the W block (just for out class). We weren't doing anything malicious, but computer services took away the router when we weren't there.

Thankfully I've rarely had to use any of the computers in the college. The only times I had to use them was whenever I needed to print something. I would like to see an improvement in the wireless service in the college, but that being said it's not something that would happen overnight. It does warrant a cost, which perhaps they don't really have.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iamaiamai

MOC88 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but have you been in the Walton building... I'm doing a Applied Computing and have my own laptop... I have, however, always found a plug and available computer... if you're saying there are not enough computers or plugs available then you're not looking. What college provides 24/7 plugs and access to study facilities? And I mean actual facilities not a fishbowl of a room with no books like they do in UCC after hours

24/7 Library Access

Derailment aside, my issue is not with 24/7 access (although I don't think that would go to waste). My experience has been lack of access to the services promised, at times promised.

I checked two rooms in the Walton Building in January of this year to see how many were up and running. There was 25 working in one, and 24 in the other.

Come March, the amount working in one room had gone from 25 (out of a possible 31 - I believe) to 15, in one of those rooms. I also had to pull a member of the general public away from one of the working computers during a testing session when it began sizzling.

I wasn't checking or using these rooms just for the fun of it - I checked them because I needed them and because I had been promised access to them.

Unless you are suggesting that it's students who damage these computers, that's a lot of negligence. I sent computer services emails listing the problems which each computer in this room, and when pressed a second time, they said they had not received the email. That's not how email works. The college also decided to close the building completely with two days notice on a day we had been promised access to it, and the porters were the last to find out - even though they were scheduled to work.

I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for better, and I believe W.I.T. would be capable of better - if the funding and standards were there.

I think cost cutting is their main priority right now, which may be realistic, but it would be foolish to say that doesn't have unseen knock on consequences for students within the institute.

MOC88 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but have you been in the Walton building... I'm doing a Applied Computing and have my own laptop... I have, however, always found a plug and available computer... if you're saying there are not enough computers or plugs available then you're not looking. What college provides 24/7 plugs and access to study facilities? And I mean actual facilities not a fishbowl of a room with no books like they do in UCC after hours

In the Walton building, I would like to see a spare plug to plug in your laptop, for example all the computers there have 2 plugs (one for the monitor + one of the computer). Computer Services don't want you plugging out the computer's plugs, which is fair enough, but I would rather have a spare plug available then bending down and plugging out their plugs.

Also, you shouldn't be using the Ethernet cable designated for the PCs in the Walton rooms in your own laptop. It shouldn't work anyway... But I am aware there are some ports that aren't restricted to the one PC.

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    Also, you shouldn't be using the Ethernet cable designated for the PCs in the Walton rooms in your own laptop. It shouldn't work anyway... But I am aware there are some ports that aren't restricted to the one PC.

I think this is fairly common practice, and people say it increases the speed and strength of the connection.

It's only being done because of how bad the wifi is.

I think you are right that it's a cost issue, though.

iamaiamai wrote: »
    I think this is fairly common practice, and people say it increases the speed and strength of the connection.

I think you are right that it's a cost issue, though.

You shouldn't be using PC designated Ethernet cables there, full stop. Computer Services don't want you using it, and that came from the horse's mouth when I was there (and also part of their rules for internet usage).

• Advertisement

You shouldn't be using PC designated Ethernet cables there, full stop. Computer Services don't want you using it, and that came from the horse's mouth when I was there (and also part of their rules for internet usage).

Well I'm not saying it should be done, only why I believe it is done.

I don't even know if it works.

Well I'm not saying it should be done, only why I believe it is done.

I don't even know if it works.

.... :rolleyes:

In my opinion the IT part of the college has always been a bit deprived of funding, I recall when Entertainment Systems was started (about 4-5 years ago) and they didn't have the relevant software for the course because of funding, or lack thereof. The students had to petition to get funding for the new course that WIT themselves were trying to tempt them from the likes of Applied + Forensics.

.... :rolleyes:

I don't know where you are going with that. I don't know enough about it to even know if it works, and I wasn't even aware that Computer Services frowned upon it, just that I've seen it done by a lot of people, who claim it is a lot better than wifi. Simple.

Your condescension is redundant here. Moving on..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Id have to agree the lack or real wifi is terrible. Made much worse during study periods the wifi became completely useless I had to tether my phone. As for people using Ethernet, I say have at it gives a stable connection and if we had decent wifi we wouldn't need to, I even know lectures who hop on rapidshare(who the f*ck uses rapidshare) using the ethernet to download tv shows and programs etc.

Doylers wrote: »
    Id have to agree the lack or real wifi is terrible. Made much worse during study periods the wifi became completely useless I had to tether my phone. As for people using Ethernet, I say have at it gives a stable connection and if we had decent wifi we wouldn't need to, I even know lectures who hop on rapidshare(who the f*ck uses rapidshare) using the ethernet to download tv shows and programs etc.

I really doubt you will find lecturers who do that... Computer Services are more smart than what they appear to be. They have caught people before, and it's not difficult for them to do so.

I'm not defending the Wifi quality, but I am against using Ethernet cables plugged into the PCs in the Walton Building and such.

• Advertisement

I really doubt you will find lecturers who do that... Computer Services are more smart than what they appear to be. They have caught people before, and it's not difficult for them to do so.

I'm not defending the Wifi quality, but I am against using Ethernet cables plugged into the PCs in the Walton Building and such.

are you one of the two people who work for computer services, by any chance ...

are you one of the two people who work for computer services, by any chance ...

Ha, no I'm not... I'm a graduate of Applied Computing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

A router in every class room would be ridiculous and it's not such an easy fix as you suggest.

Why is that so ridiculous?

You tell me why they cant have an access point for wifi in every room apart from financial cost.

Why is that so ridiculous?

You tell me why they cant have an access point for wifi in every room apart from financial cost.

Well, an access point in every room is just overkill anyway. Not to mention the amount of physical and logical restructure involved to achieve this. Perhaps an additional router or two in some areas where wireless reception is weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Hold a bloody fundraiser and buy a few routers. Jesus even ask students have they any spare routers knocking about. Ive 2 in a draw here going to waste.

Every single class room should have a router / repeater in it bar none. They can be had for 20 bucks each and sort a major problem out.

We dont need 27 inch macs we just need a wifi connection. :D

My comment had nothing to do with wifi so not sure why you quoted me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

In the Walton building, I would like to see a spare plug to plug in your laptop, for example all the computers there have 2 plugs (one for the monitor + one of the computer). Computer Services don't want you plugging out the computer's plugs, which is fair enough, but I would rather have a spare plug available then bending down and plugging out their plugs.

What are you on about? the only sign or thing said about plugging out the monitor/computer is to be polite and plug them back in when you're done.
    Oh yeah I would like a free plug available too, I think the design of the labs are poor tbh but they are functional and if leaning over is the biggest problem you can find, then you really would want to look at a lot of the colleges and unis around the country where actually trying to access computers and the internet is more to do with getting in early before everyone else.

Yes, the internet connections can be dire at times but if you move around you will find a good connection ... and this is frustrating and should be rectified so we don't have to waste time looking for what should be readily available.... but being unable to find a power source or a connection is something I've never had happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

back on topic folks.
    I read in the Munster that it would take at least 5 years if criteria is met regarding PhDs, research, private funding etc before actual Tech Uni status would possibly be given. add that it will take a good length of time for all this and other stuff to happen (legal agreements between Carlow and Waterford ITs) that this puts an even more negative slant on this announcement. Yes it could be a positive step and the fact that criteria have to be met is i suppose a good thing, i wonder:
    • How will WIT/Carlow be set for meeting this criteria?
    • Is the criteria so restrictive meaning we dont have a hope of meeting it?
    • How would other Unis fare using this criteria,considering the increased investment they get?
    • Where does WIT get private funding, id say its limited from TSSG and some of the other excellent research places possibly. We have no JP McManus, Smurfit to make donations, plus we have no significant amount high tech companies that would be willing to help out, or do we?

Well, an access point in every room is just overkill anyway. Not to mention the amount of physical and logical restructure involved to achieve this. Perhaps an additional router or two in some areas where wireless reception is weak.

Theres ethernet connections in every classroom already. It actually wouldnt be a huge deal to plug a device into it. Something small that just goes say between the Lecturers pc and the ethernet cable. Wouldnt be the same router thats in your home it would just be a bridge that relays the signal. Its really not that big a deal and would pretty much sort out the wifi problem. Anyone that complained about PCs can be told to get their own laptops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Max Powers wrote: »
    back on topic folks.
    I read in the Munster that it would take at least 5 years if criteria is met regarding PhDs, research, private funding etc before actual Tech Uni status would possibly be given. add that it will take a good length of time for all this and other stuff to happen (legal agreements between Carlow and Waterford ITs) that this puts an even more negative slant on this announcement. Yes it could be a positive step and the fact that criteria have to be met is i suppose a good thing, i wonder:
    • How will WIT/Carlow be set for meeting this criteria?
    • Is the criteria so restrictive meaning we dont have a hope of meeting it?
    • How would other Unis fare using this criteria,considering the increased investment they get?
    • Where does WIT get private funding, id say its limited from TSSG and some of the other excellent research places possibly. We have no JP McManus, Smurfit to make donations, plus we have no significant amount high tech companies that would be willing to help out, or do we?

If they can meet the research targets great but it will be a challenge. the system isn't set up for such. Even if you look at the contracts of the staff they are so full up with teaching research is not always possible. I wonder how they will have to change them to be more research friendly without extra funding. Good research is needed to attract PhD students. Cormac O’Raifeartaigh has made some good points on this problem online. http://universitydiary.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/technological-universities-a-view-from-the-south-east-of-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pcluney

Hi All,

My name is Pat Cluney, and i work in Computer Services in WIT.
    I am responable for maintaining the network, internet access and WIFI within WIT.

A number of issues/concerns have been brought to my attention through this thread by a friend and i would like to address/explain them.

Media999

I have investigated the issue with the wifi in the IT Building, it is a saturation issue, there are 18 rooms, with 30 students each, 2 devices per student (Laptop/Phone) that could mean 1080 wireless connections at maximum capacity, there are currently 3 AP's (B/G AP's, single antenna) with a maximum usable number of connections between 30 to 50 clients with good signal strenght.

I have proposed replacing the current 3 AP's with 9 high density AP's ( 3 per floor ) 60 to 100 clients per AP, to the IT manager and he is currently battling to get the funding to implement this, if this get approval, then the wifi issues in the IT Building should be resolved.

I would like to stress that, students are also our customers, as are staff in WIT, please tell us about IT realated issues, we can only help if you talk to us directly.

iamaiamai

" the mysterious moniker "computer services" are stuck in some time warp."

Hi iamaiamai,

Please call down and have a coffee with us, we would be delighted to discuss how to get out of the time warp.

P.S. give me a call Ext 2602 (051 302602) i would love to have a chat.

Anybody who wants to contact me can do it by the following:

email: pcluney@wit.ie
    phone: 051-302602

Kind Regards

Pat Cluney

• Advertisement

pcluney wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am responable for maintaining the network, internet access and WIFI within WIT.

A number of issues/concerns have been brought to my attention through this thread by a friend and i would like to address/explain them.

Media999

I have investigated the issue with the wifi in the IT Building, it is a saturation issue, there are 18 rooms, with 30 students each, 2 devices per student (Laptop/Phone) that could mean 1080 wireless connections at maximum capacity, there are currently 3 AP's (B/G AP's, single antenna) with a maximum usable number of connections between 30 to 50 clients with good signal strenght.

I have proposed replacing the current 3 AP's with 9 high density AP's ( 3 per floor ) 60 to 100 clients per AP, to the IT manager and he is currently battling to get the funding to implement this, if this get approval, then the wifi issues in the IT Building should be resolved.

I would like to stress that, students are also our customers, as are staff in WIT, please tell us about IT realated issues, we can only help if you talk to us directly.

iamaiamai

Hi iamaiamai,

Please call down and have a coffee with us, we would be delighted to discuss how to get out of the time warp.

Kind Regards

Pat Cluney

I will be in contact as soon as my phone is fixed.

I think most of the problems result from old, broken computers and crappy wifi. But we both know it's not rocket science - it's funding.

Hi iamaiamai,

Many thanks for the reply, talk to you soon.

Kind Regards

Pat Cluney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Hi All,

Media999

iamaiamai

Hi iamaiamai,

Kind Regards

Pat Cluney

Hats off to you Pat for having the courtesy and decency to come on and post under your own name. And for explaining things. There are far too many armchair "experts" on this forum regarding WIT. Well done again.

Media999

Kind Regards

Pat Cluney

Cheers for the response Pat.

Whats happening with the EDUroam connection? There seems to be an issue with security certificates. Just wont connect at all now. Anyone who had the password\connection saved at the beginning of the semester can connect but new connections cant. There not accepted by the network.

That was a great connection when it worked.

Hi Media999,

I was not aware of that issue, thanks for bringing it to my attention, i will investigate monday morning.

Kind Regards

Pat Cluney

7upfree wrote: »
    Hats off to you Pat for having the courtesy and decency to come on and post under your own name. And for explaining things. There are far too many armchair "experts" on this forum regarding WIT. Well done again.

Not experts - past service users, customers, consumers and fee paying students who are asking for a pretty basic request - consistently working wifi that can meet the demands of a busy campus year round. I would imagine that is also the aim of computer services?

I think it's a simple observation that the wifi isn't up to par - that part doesn't require any expertise. Further, many in this thread have acknowledged that the obstacles facing WIT in terms of providing the infrastructure to meet this task are largely due to funding (and are the kind of obstacles which will more than likely continue as WIT struggles to meet these new criteria for Tech University). I don't think stating this is unfair or unreasonable - it's going to be a part of the process of moving towards higher criteria. However, I also don't believe anything to do with that issue has really been elucidated here, besides the fact that computer services are obviously committed to the task. I do appreciate that fact, and understand that boards.ie is not the best medium for computer services/students to use to resolve such an issue! It will probably be the task of current students, class reps and the student's union to push for the services they feel they need to keep the university up to standard and comparable with universities and ITs around the country.

From my experience, I would also have liked to have seen more computers to serve those who don't have the luxury of their own laptop or printer and need to print or use computers on campus - but maybe that is also too much to ask considering the current financial instability of WIT. I wonder how many students there are per computer and how that compares to a "national average"? Those statistics are probably not going to come from a WIT staff member, or member of any other institute, being realistic.

Again, I do appreciate and respect that pcluney came on to address the issue here, even in a thread which would probably one of the last places you'd expect to see these issues raised. I just don't think people should be chastised for honestly stating their experience, and feeling like the college should be able to provide better, and will probably need to do better in order to be comparable to similar institutes worldwide and meet these new criteria!

I would have assumed computer services were aware of the problem, and didn't realise I would need to contact them personally - assuming that they use the network themselves, but at least now they are aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Not experts - past service users, customers, consumers and fee paying students who are asking for a pretty basic request - consistently working wifi that can meet the demands of a busy campus year round. I would imagine that is also the aim of computer services?

It is - but the constant berating (unjustified in many instances) by some so-called "alumni" on this forum is getting tiresome.

7upfree wrote: »
    It is - but the constant berating (unjustified in many instances) by some so-called "alumni" on this forum is getting tiresome.

Unjustified berating of whom and by whom? I don't see one unjustified request here - it looks like WIT students trying to solve a problem which affects their ability to perform a basic connection to consistent wifi on campus.

:rolleyes:

Are you speaking for computer services?

Instead of playing backseat antagonist, maybe leave the issues with WIFI to the experts.

Cheers Pat. Yeah disconnect and forget the connection and try connect again. Youll see what i mean.

A classmate was told it was in the process of being fixed by computer services. That was about 4 months ago. Just got used to using my own 3g from there on out. Hoping to get rid of that soon to cut down bills so would be good if eduroam was back by next semester.

• Advertisement

Hi iamaiamai,

I would just like to give you some feedback on your comments.

"Not experts - past service users, customers, consumers and fee paying students who are asking for a pretty basic request - consistently working wifi that can meet the demands of a busy campus year round. I would imagine that is also the aim of computer services? I think it's a simple observation that the wifi isn't up to par - that part doesn't require any expertise."

Ok it's a pretty basic request, and it is correct that Computer Services strive to be able to provide the services required in WIT, but the basic problem with such requests is that they do not contain the details to provide the services.
    There are no indications of the resources required. And they are based on information that is not 100 percent correct, where ever there is technology, then there is a requirement for expertise.

"Again, I do appreciate and respect that pcluney came on to address the issue here, even in a thread which would probably one of the last places you'd expect to see these issues raised."

Thanks for that, but i think that any issues that are raised, should be dealt with, regardless of the forum. it's the lack of dealing with issues that causes problems.

"I would have assumed computer services were aware of the problem, and didn't realise I would need to contact them personally - assuming that they use the network themselves, but at least now they are aware. "

I am not going to assume anything about your technicial expertise, or your experience as a systems administrator. But i will try and explain anyway.

The network equipment, servers within WIT are monitored on a 24/7 basis, with alerts sent when a system fails.

There are a number of levels of faiilure that can occur with any system.

Total system failure, all services down

Semi system failure, a number of services down, system still functioning on a limited basis

Transient system failure, no services appear to be down, services not working for a group of users, or users that meet a particular set of conditions, otherwise functioning normally.

Each level of failure has different procedures to follow to enact a fix, and also has different levels of complexicity to investigate to find a resolution to any failures that has occured.

There are a number of steps that have to be followed when investigating these types of issues.

Problem reporting. problem is reported, notes taken
    Information Gathering based on initial report, more information is gathered
    problem investigation based on all information gatherd,a resoultion is investigated, and a resolution is decided on
    problem resolution issue resolution is implemented.
    post problem investigaton issue is tested and reviewed, should it not work, then go back to step 1.

What was described by Media999

"Whats happening with the EDUroam connection? There seems to be an issue with security certificates. Just wont connect at all now. Anyone who had the password\connection saved at the beginning of the semester can connect but new connections cant. There not accepted by the network."

This is a Transient system Failure, and as such needed to be reported, and the more it is reported, the easier it is to diagnose and fix

You have made a number of assumptions, with a lack of data to back them up, if you want to get the information, come and ask.

"I just don't think people should be chastised for honestly stating their experience, and feeling like the college should be able to provide better, and will probably need to do better in order to be comparable to similar institutes worldwide and meet these new criteria!
    ."

But it seems to be the first action that you are engaging in is to chastise WIT/computer services, how about engaging in a consultation process instead?.

"From my experience, I would also have liked to have seen more computers to serve those who don't have the luxury of their own laptop or printer and need to print or use computers on campus - but maybe that is also too much to ask considering the current financial instability of WIT. I wonder how many students there are per computer and how that compares to a "national average"? Those statistics are probably not going to come from a WIT staff member, or member of any other institute, being realistic.
    "
    I can give you thoes stats if you want, all you have to do is ask, i am aware of all devices that are connected to the WIT network, it is my job to know.
    Has there been a study done on this, can you provide me with a link?

"Unjustified berating of whom and by whom? I don't see one unjustified request here - it looks like WIT students trying to solve a problem which affects their ability to perform a basic connection to consistent wifi on campus.
    Are you speaking for computer services?
    Instead of playing backseat antagonist, maybe leave the issues with WIFI to the experts."

I do not know who 7upfree is, but i can tell you that i can speak for Computer Services.

I think that you accusing anyone of "playing backseat antagonist" is very disengenuious, and saying "leave the issues with WIFI to the experts.", what does that mean ?.

I know what my areas of expertise are and i can back them up, i do not do bull****, nor will i be bull****ed...

I am now asking you to engage in a constructive agenda to resolve any issues you have, i do not judge anyone by what they say, i recieve proof by what they do.

Please contact me on:

Kind Regards

Pat Cluney

Advertisement